ITunes

you have to click on the green link thats says 'download this torrent' and that should start vuze for the download to start.

Its mp3, you can see it after the songs. Do you know where it downloaded to?

vuze downloads to its own directory, you have to find that and your file should be there. do a search for 'top 40' or something like that from the title of the album

Do you think you a little bit paranoid BV?

I spend enough time online to know what's safe and what's not. The internet is a different place today and you should be aware that tracebility is much greater than before.

If you are downloading and sharing files your IP could be traced. The only thing stopping the music companies from getting to you is your ISP.
If the music companies go after your ISP it is possible that your ISP will say ok here are this person's details .

I don't want to start a discussion on the issue because we could be here for days and I've got to prepare for a bbq but I mentioned it because skater seems new to all this.

I undertand what youre saying. Its not news to me. Do you remember when the old supernova site shut down and then it became mininova?

Thats how long ive been doing this and have never had a problem and have never heard of anyone having a problem with this stuff. I have know hundreds of people that use bittorrent and have had not one issue. Ever.

They wont (or cant) do anything about individual downloaders. And knowing a persons IP address doesn't mean a thing. Everyone' got one. Millions and millions are downloading, big deal.

And, ethically, i have paid SO much money to corporate music giants over the years buying first vinyl, then CD's and DVDs.

I have no problem with it.

If anyone is serious about their music they will know what i mean. But i do mean 'serious' music fan.

I'm talking vinyl and cd collections in the thousands.

I spend enough time online to know what's safe and what's not. The internet is a different place today and you should be aware that tracebility is much greater than before.

If you are downloading and sharing files your IP could be traced. The only thing stopping the music companies from getting to you is your ISP.
If the music companies go after your ISP it is possible that your ISP will say ok here are this person's details .

I don't want to start a discussion on the issue because we could be here for days and I've got to prepare for a bbq but I mentioned it because skater seems new to all this.

Its mp3, you can see it after the songs. Do you know where it downloaded to?

vuze downloads to its own directory, you have to find that and your file should be there. do a search for 'top 40' or something like that from the title of the album

I did that, and it comes up and tells me to select a program. The only one available is itunes, so I think "ahah, now it will work" but nothing happens.

right click on one of the mp3 songs and choose 'open with' and then click on itunes.

see what happens. I'm off to the beach.

ISP is your internet service provider. Like bigpond or iinet or whatever.

right click on one of the mp3 songs and choose 'open with' and then click on itunes.

see what happens. I'm off to the beach.

ISP is your internet service provider. Like bigpond or iinet or whatever.

Ahh! Optusnet. Got it!

As for the itunes, that is what I did. It just opened itunes, but the song wasn't there.:confused: Have fun at the beach.

Thats how long ive been doing this and have never had a problem and have never heard of anyone having a problem with this stuff.

I'm not into music at all. Well, I enjoy music but have never downloaded anything. I wouldn't know how to, but could learn if I wanted to.

I do remember when my sons first started downloading music several years ago that was from shared sites I was a bit worried because at that time a mother in the US had been selected for one of the big music companies to make a point that it is illegal and they can sue people. It was in the news and I imagine was the record company's "test case". She was taken to court. She, similar to me, didn't have a clue what her kids were doing on their home computer, and lost the case. From memory she was fined $250,000 or more.

I don't know what happened, whether she lost her house, whether people clubbed together to pay her fine and costs, but it did concern me because whilst I know it is millions to one chance of being "chosen" to make a point, she probably thought that too ;).

My sons have downloaded music and I have no clue if they pay for it or if it is legal. Even if I told them not to do it, they have no fear of any consequences (probably quite rightly so) and they know I don't have a clue and couldn't tell whether they are doing it or not.

Skater, maybe get a microphone and sing to the kids :D. After one week, the complaints might be so loud that the tight ar$e who runs the place might throw a few dollars at you to buy some music :p.

Last edited:
Do you just want some of your existing CDs onto your laptop?

That would be fine, however I don't own any current CDs. I like music, but it has been years since I've bought anything. I mostly am happy to listen to the radio.

Somehow I don't think today's kids would be happy to listen to Sherbet, Rolling Stones, ELO, Boz Scaggs etc. :eek:

that's in USA

by the way, from the same article:

In December 2008, the RIAA said it will stop suing people who download music illegally and focus instead on getting internet service providers to take action.

Make sure you have a capable AntiVirus software and AntiSpyware software installed and regularly updated if you ever download files from torrents. The chances of being infected are extremely high on a PC for new users.

Why do people get sued?
Whenever you download torrent software, it automatically sets all your files to "auto share". Which means as soon as you download a popular song, that song is now shared in your library, so now your PC acts as a illegal distribution hub.

The music companies have investigators that pretend to act as another user peer connecting to your computer to download files (e.g. sharing), however this is how they get all the evidence to prosecute you in court and they win most times (usually out of court settlements for several thousands dollars e.g. under 5k).

I dont think thats true. Its the initial copier and seeder that gets sued. I think only one has. And that was a case of a guy filming a movie in a cinema with a handycam, then went home and uploaded it to the internet.

How can they possibly sue every downloader (who has the file on their
computer) there would be multiple millions of them in the world.

I would place a large bet that the people on here against peer to peer downloading have downloaded music and still do. Not to mention burnt CDs, copied tapes etc

Why do people get sued?
Whenever you download torrent software, it automatically sets all your files to "auto share". Which means as soon as you download a popular song, that song is now shared in your library, so now your PC acts as a illegal distribution hub.

How can they possibly sue every downloader (who has the file on their
computer) there would be multiple millions of them in the world

They don't have to.
They'll carefully pick the ones worth chasing up.
Perhaps you would be next?
Your ISP will give you up any day if they are to avoid legal action

Back