Just an idea...

Hiya,

The news that I posted the other day has really gotten me thinking recently. It absolutely floored me at first, and since then it has certainly put some real perspective on a lot of things.

One idea that came to mind, in particular, I think may be worth pursuing.

As I mentioned then, Ram has a young daughter, Aditri, born in January 2006. I would like to know if we, as a community, may be willing and able to pitch in a little each and start some sort of a trust / fund for Aditri.

I am not entirely sure of the best way to structure, or manage, this.

NigelW - are you still around these parts? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I have spoken to Dale and either he or I would be happy to look after this, but I'm certainly open to suggestion if a good financial advisor or solicitor or the like would be a better idea. Or his wife, for that matter.

If this is something that the good people of Somersoft would like to see off the ground, I'll happily kickstart it with a contribution of $1,000.

So, what do y'all think?

James.

Count me in James
I did not know Ram but it is times like this that it is important to support those in our community. Let me know how this develops so that I can also contribute. Just an added thought. Maybe we could pass the hat around at our various Investment meetings like SIG and MIG and alike.
Simon

Hiya,

Thanks again to those who have already offered to contribute to this. I really do appreciate it and will be sure to let you all know once this is off the ground.

A few thoughts, though; some prompted by private messages I've received this evening...

- I certainly don't expect anyone to contribute what I have. I wanted to make a statement for this, give it a real kickstart, I guess. I also knew Ram personally and wanted to make as much of a difference as I can. Any and all contributions will be very much appreciated.

- No, I won't be taking any 'management fees' or the like from the funds at any stage. The offer to look after it in the absence of someone better suited to was a genuine one and by no means an idea to provide some extra pocket money.

- I am still exchanging messages with Nigel about how to best go about this. Once I know what can / will be done, I'll let everyone know, too.

- I don't expect that any gifts will be tax deductible, unfortunately. Hopefully this is not the difference between someone contributing, and not.

Thanks again to those who have expressed an interest so far. I'll be keen to hear from anyone else who might like to be a part of this, too.

Have a good weekend

James.

Hi, James,
For someone like me who really has never heard of Ram, can you tell me a little about him, or provide a link somewhere?
I did a search, and revealed nothing.
Many thanks
Bill

let me know when it's ready to go ... i pop a little in too. perhaps you could provide direct debit details ...

We are happy to contribute a small donation also. Its such an awful loss for a child to lose her father.

Hiya,

I want to offer a public thankyou to NigelW, who has been very generous with his time and knowledge in advising on the structure of this trust. His thoughts and ideas have been extremely helpful and I really do appreciate it. Cheers, mate.

All going well, it will now be alive within a week and I will let everyone who is interested know how to make a contribution then.

Bill; Ram was not a famous person, nor a frequent poster here. He was, however, an amazing man who was always full of energy and passion for the people he loved. I can't say that I expect anyone who did not know him to offer anything, but, I am aware that many here have been a part of his life and so I thought it may be worth posting. Apologies to anyone who may have been offended by the way that I've made this appeal public.

Thanks again to everyone for your support and efforts so far. Looking forward to seeing this off the ground very soon...

Cheers

James.

Bill; Ram was not a famous person, nor a frequent poster here. He was, however, an amazing man who was always full of energy and passion for the people he loved. I can't say that I expect anyone who did not know him to offer anything, but, I am aware that many here have been a part of his life and so I thought it may be worth posting. Apologies to anyone who may have been offended by the way that I've made this appeal public.

Hello, James,
You should never apologize to anyone for wanting to help someone else in need. Never.
What you and Nigel and the other forum members are doing is a wonderful thing for Ram's family, and full credit to you all.
Please do not think that my previous post, in any way, questioned your motives. I had never heard of Ram before, and was anxious to learn a little more about this man who was held in such high esteem by those on Somersoft for whom I have so much respect.
Well done,
Bill

Its all very sad.... I still remember posting in his thread about Ram helping his daughter get the very best start to life by setting up a fund. This is something that was important to him, so good on you getting it off the ground James.

I'm happy to contribute something, just send me the bank details etc.

Hiya,

Ok, this trust is now up and happening and we are just waiting on autographs from Ram's wife and for my stockbroker to establish an account. Once active, people will be able to deposit directly into it.

For those who are interested, Ram's wife is the sole appointer, both her and I are joint trustees and Aditri is the sole beneficiary. So, Archana will retain complete control over the trust and can remove us from the equation at any stage if ever she felt the need.

For what it's worth, too, we have promised her that we will never invoice for accounting fees on this trust, either.

Thanks again for your support,

James.

PS - Bill, apologies if my last post was misleading. I did not mean to imply anything about your thoughts in posting at all and should have separated the paragraph to be clearer :)

PPS - Just discovered Archana is not yet back from India. So, it may still be a couple of weeks before we can start properly. But, the wheels are now in motion...

Last edited:
Reactions: Les
James,
You are a good guy.
I know you did NOT do this for personal recognition, but regardless of this, you are a good guy, hats off to you.
JIM

Hiya,

Ok, this has taken much longer than we hoped, but, The Aditri Vemula Trust is now up and running.

For those of you who have so generously offered to donate, and are still interested in doing so, funds can be transferred directly into this account:

James Gatherum-Goss & Archana Vemula ATF Aditri Vemula Trust
BSB: 083 171
Acc: 87308 6931

Incidently, I am catching the first plane to Seattle tomorrow ;) . When I return in four week's time, a decision on which blue chip shares to invest in will be made based on how much is available to invest and what the market is doing at the time.

Again, I can't begin to express properly how grateful I am, let alone Archana and the rest of Ram's family. Thank you.

Have a great weekend, all.

~James.

I just tried to transfer funds and my bank came up with the message that the bsb seemed to be for a credit card and I needed to remove the bsb number from the deposit to proceed.

I have not done the transfer in case the bsb number is a typing error.

Could you confirm whether this bsb is the correct one please?

Thanks, Wylie

Hiya,

It seems to have worked ok for me, Wylie.

In fact, the BSB is the same as the GGA business account, so I know that it is correct... Has anyone else had any problems yet?

James.

Back