Kitchen cupboard material options

I have just entered the confusing world of kitchen renovations, can someone help me sort out the options available for kitchen cupboards?

So far I've gathered you can have melamine, laminate, vinyl or polyurethane (plus solid wood but that's out)

What is the material used in most flat packs? And what is that shiny glossy material you see in new vanity cuboards?

I have found a flat pack kitchen supplier here in Tassie but they seem to only have vinyl, would you consider this for a house you're looking to sell?

http://www.ezikit.com.au/doors.html

Cheers,

So far I've gathered you can have melamine, laminate, vinyl or polyurethane (plus solid wood but that's out)

What is the material used in most flat packs? And what is that shiny glossy material you see in new vanity cuboards?

All flat pack kitchens are made from medium density fibreboard -- MDF. The sheets are then covered with white melamine on each side, melamine is a cheap white textured finish. The cabinets have melamine on all sides.

The doors have are either melamine -- the cheapest -- or laminate, vinyl or polyurethane. Laminates allow you to choose from the huge range of Laminex and other brand textures and catalogues, but the edges will be square. Vinyl is a coloured sheet of plastic that is shrink-wrapped onto the doors and allows the edges to be curved. Poly is a fancy paint so it can be put onto doors that have patterns cut into them.

I put melamine doors and drawer fronts (square finish with a 1mm edge) in my PPOR kitchen because I had little kids then and figured they would get knocked around by them. The plan down the track was to replace them with poly.
I'm down the track now I'm not sure I will bother. They look fine. They would be the cheapest option. I assume some melamines are better than others and I must have got decent stuff.

I have just entered the confusing world of kitchen renovations, can someone help me sort out the options available for kitchen cupboards?

I have found a flat pack kitchen supplier here in Tassie but they seem to only have vinyl, would you consider this for a house you're looking to sell?

http://www.ezikit.com.au/doors.html

Cheers,

If you can avoid Vinyl do so. The glues seem to be failing within a few years. If you are selling then I would go a laminex or two pack. Both are durable and look nice.

Huss

For an IP I would go laminate. For a PPOR, polyurethane.

Main reason - replacing a door or drawer or three in laminate is easy if a tenant ruins it (so long as you stick with standard laminate colours which are made in perpetuity).

Replacing some poly doors is harder to match colour as over time the colour changes a with all painted surfaces, so new panels will look different.

Back