kitchen splashback

Hi people,

Renovating kitchen in IP.

Any advice on splashbacks?

House is painted a white so might look for a cream instead of a dark colour splashback?

It's a smallish kitchen, should I get big tiles for the splashback
or are smaller ones better?

I have vinyl flooring should I get same coloured tiles for the floor and do it at the same time? The vinyl flooring is newish.

Where should I look for tiles/glass for splashback? How much would I be looking at for this job?

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I think smaller tiles would be better, less likely to crack and cheaper to replace if one does.

Why replace the floor if it's newish? Will it get you more rent? Can you post a photo so people can offer advice on colours, etc.

glass splashbacks are expensive unless you know a glazier and will paint the back of it yourself. Tiles are cheap, I just did a bunnings flatpack install in qld and put white 600x300 1 each vertically around as the splashback it looked ok and quite easy to do.

House is painted a white so might look for a cream instead of a dark colour splashback?
I agree with Prop. never use white & cream next to each other. The colour needs to be determined by looking at the colours of the whole kitchen - especially benchtops. Do you have a pic?

It's a smallish kitchen, should I get big tiles for the splashback
or are smaller ones better?
I love mosaic tiles but after living with them once as a splashback - never again. Too much grout to clean. Go large (300 x 600) and minimise this problem.

I have vinyl flooring should I get same coloured tiles for the floor and do it at the same time? The vinyl flooring is newish.
How much is your weekly rent likely to be & how ugly is the vinyl? If it's the cheaper end of the market vinyl should be acceptable. However, I agree with you it would be nicer to tile.

Where should I look for tiles/glass for splashback? How much would I be looking at for this job?
Tiles are cheap. You could do this job for under $100 if you know what you're doing. The problem with getting someone in is that the job is too small unless you get the tiler to also do the floor (or bathroom tiling if you're doing that as well). Beaumont Tiles have good stuff on sale most of the time if you can't find what you want at Bunnings.

i find tile shops are generally cheaper than bunnings by a little bit on the actual tile but more importantly will be able to advise on other things e.g. i made the switch from premix glue on the last 2 jobs and its been a lot cheaper and from all reports is a better product.

One of my clients recently acquired some cheap splash back tiles for something like 25c a tile from Reverse Garbage (Marrickville) and was able to tile his kitchen for under $50 for the lot! Great looking result- all white and grey. I think the KISS theory works well in IP's so best of luck with it all. Happy renovating!

I think the KISS theory works well in IP's so best of luck with it all. Happy renovating!

I agree. No need to get overly fancy. We tiled one for about $90.

Just be careful when ripping the old ones off. Wear gloves/goggles - tiles are sharp....so I found out.

Cheers

Jamie

We tend to favour glass splashbacks, even though they are a bit more expensive.

Here's an IP we did a couple of years ago - cream kitchen with dark (nearly black) splashback.

Attachments

• august 08 055.jpg
    august 08 055.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 144
Thanks people,

I unfortunately don't have photos and I am in another state to my property.

The kitchen is not positioned near a window so a dark coloured splash back would not be a good option. Decided no to the cream colour perhaps white gloss would be good.
Will check out bunnings.
Not sure on the vinyl as yet? Tiling would not increase the rent but it saves doing it later.
The vinyle might not look good with the light grey bench top.

Thanks people,

I unfortunately don't have photos and I am in another state to my property.

The kitchen is not positioned near a window so a dark coloured splash back would not be a good option. Decided no to the cream colour perhaps white gloss would be good.
Will check out bunnings.
Not sure on the vinyl as yet? Tiling would not increase the rent but it saves doing it later.
The vinyle might not look good with the light grey bench top.
A very cheap way is ring up a S/S metal fab workshop and price up S/S splashback it will be under 100 bucks for under 2000 long by 250/50
wide and the are very easy to install and they stand out..

Back