Kitchen splashbacks height from bench..

Kitchen splashbacks, rangehood height from bench/stove..

i am interested to know how high do people put there splashback in and rangehood height form the stove...

i am in middle of doing up a kitchen at momment and i am doing 555mm up from kitchen bench would this be plenty for big pot + wooden spoon to stir your favourite stew ??

btw i have 250mm tiles in height x 400 mm i was hoping 555 with 2.5mm spacers for grout would do..

here is my splashback tiles + floor tiles do you guys and gals think ?? i've done this kitchen so far cost me 600$ ^_^ inc stove, oven, not elec and plumber yet in midle of trying to get good price hopefully full reno under 1200 that could increase value of house by 20k :)

before and after pics doing it all alone.. remove secondhand kitchen, install, digholes and drill holes for plumbing and electrical guys to come in and basically just connect and approve the works... sorry about blur on new kitchen photo taken with my phone, will update when completely done with oven and plug up old wall window on left...
105161007al1219907580.jpg

DSC01964.jpg

01042009092.jpg

Last edited:
i know the rangehood on left is very low theres like 350mm from bench only 35cm lol i stuffed up that bit, but hey i am not professional...

my main tip for if anyone planning to do kitchen reno on the cheap would be mark out everything make sure it fits.. DONT TRUST WALL AND FLOOR TO BE LEVELED lol i spend hours trying to level the floor and wall goes straight then half way curved out by like 5mm!!!
i had to cut about 150mm off breakfast bar for u shape kitchen to fit in this room gotta plug up that hole on right hand corner theres big gap there that used to be breakfast bar..

anywayz running cost so far under 700 (including gyprock, noggins, screws and paint to be done) and plugging up old existing 1200x1200 window :p

I am not sure about this, but I believe the range hood height above the cooking surface is something that is quite important, and you cannot have it lower than a certain height. I think if it is too low you could jeopardise your insurance due to the danger it could pose in the event of a small fire (or something like that).

I have a vague memory of our sparky measuring the height and telling me about this minimum height regulation.

Worth checking it out. You may have to raise the top cupboards.

yep googleling around last hour or so cant find anyt legislation about height of rangehood i must be real tired or blind.. at the momment i am doing 555mm left side range hood is only 350mm :p lol barely fits a pot in...

electrician told me powerpoint above bench is either 220mm above bench or 1.1M from floor shoulda asked him how high the rangehood suppose to be from stove..

guesstimating minimum height may be about 450-455mmm.. for 600mm canopy and 500-550mm for 900mm canopy... these would bring the range hood up to my chin/eye level..

anyone care to correct me ??

guesstimating minimum height may be about 450-455mmm.. for 600mm canopy and 500-550mm for 900mm canopy... these would bring the range hood up to my chin/eye level..

anyone care to correct me ??

that rangehood height is illegal , minimum height for electric r/hood is 600mm minimum height for gas cook top is 650mm ,if a fire happens in that situation the insurance company WILL NOT PAY out :(:(

We just did our splashback a multiple of tiles ... I'm using 20cm tiles, we did 3 rows, it eyeballs to about the right height and looks good. We didn't put in a rangehood though, the kitchen has a sloped ceiling, the oven is on the low side by the windows and it looked like it would be too low (no overhead cupboards either for the same reason). Maybe not with your height though :eek:

if there is a small gap put it up under the range hood so it wont be visable.
if there is a cut tile hide it under the range hood or butt it to the bench top as u will calk it up.

when levelling out a kitchen, lay the base down and ensure its level, use horse shoe packers to pack up any bits. i fixed my base to my floor.

that rangehood height is illegal , minimum height for electric r/hood is 600mm minimum height for gas cook top is 650mm ,if a fire happens in that situation the insurance company WILL NOT PAY out :(:(

I can second that having just done our kitchen ....... looks like you have gas?

we used 600 x 300 tiles vertically for our splashback.

600 is the "standard" splashback. The gap between the bottom of overhead cupboards and the benchtop is 600. Hence the range hood being offset upward by 50 when fitted over a gas stove, per ARMS comment.
That's why they make 600 tiles :) The other tile sizes tend to be sizes that will fit the 600 space. 20 x 20's for example, will, in 3 rows add up to 600mm.

minimum 750mm from top of gas burner to underside of a rangehood - 600mm from electric.

i take mine from benchheight though.

any lower and your r'hood warranty will be null and void - and you operate outside AS.

When I used to design kitchens for Nouvelle Kitchens we used these heights.
All kitchen mobs vary slightly.

144mm kick
720mm carcass
33mm b/top
455mm gap
720mm wall carcass

gives an overall height of 2072mm

So the splashback height was 455mm. Not sure about now, but when I was there they would customise to anything you wanted also.

We also used a 355mm high cabinet for the 150mm high recirculating rangehoods which would give us a gap of 670mm from top of bench to underside of r/hood.
Or we'd use a higher cabinet for the 40mm 'slimjim' r/hoods.
We didn't change these dimensions for gas or electric, but it was over 15years ago that I worked in the kitchen game.
I would assume that the clearances were all to Australian Standards as the owner of the business was also on the board of the HIA.....Frank Death....Nice bloke, shame about the name:eek:

I would remove and refit wall cupboards higher, even if not for legal reasons.

I've done 2 kitchens. The minimum legal height of rangehood was my starting point, them comes fitting full tiles in preferably between bench and underside of cupboards (allowing spacings for grout between and above, and caulking at benchtop), the height can be extended out the same along the wall beyond wall cupboards.

Then you have to consider the type of rangehood and the distance it protruded from front of cupboard, fixed or sliding. Preferably you should be able to stand at stove and see what you are cooking without rangehood getting in the way or banging your head on it every time you turn around. This can result in a bit of a trade off in performance if too high, but I would prefer this to bending down to see rear pots or banging my head.

The last one was done in 200mm tiles so about 610 distance between bench and cupboards - but first measure tiles to make sure 200 mm tiles are not 198mm otherwise you end up with a unexpected extra real estate you have to space the tiles over :D.

The first kitchen was done with rangehood at 650mm above benchtop but with adjacent cupboards stepped down to 530mm incl light pelmet each side of stove to allow easier access (tops were all same height). Cupboards were clear of stove and with colour matching laminex on exposed sides under rangehood to protect from heat. Access height was more important in this case than full tiles, which were only 100mm anyway.

if you see the picture, the fan is at the bottom of the rangehood cupboards.

is this the distance which i take to measure to benchtop or the filter/light/button area which is about 100mm lower...

wow this kitchen will be massively tall if i put it up any higher you would need a step ladder to get to overhead cupboards which is at 555mm off bench /top already...

well i guess i would have to make it legal as the house will be rented out..

750mm from top of gas stove would bring my cupboards close to touching the roof..

We are just about to build and they put 600mm splash back to the kitchen which works to be just to the bottom line of the upper cupboards.

The range hood in the house we are renting is level with the bottom line of the upper cupboards (600mm), but I find it too low when cooking, especially when using a bigger size pot at the back there is no way you can have a look what is happening in the bottom of that pot unless you stuck your head almost into it. So I'd certainly place it a bit higher than that - lets say 700 or 750mm above the bench. (To me the bottom edge doesn't necessarily have to be aligned with the upper cupboards.)

if you see the picture, the fan is at the bottom of the rangehood cupboards.

is this the distance which i take to measure to benchtop or the filter/light/button area which is about 100mm lower...

wow this kitchen will be massively tall if i put it up any higher you would need a step ladder to get to overhead cupboards which is at 555mm off bench /top already...

well i guess i would have to make it legal as the house will be rented out..

750mm from top of gas stove would bring my cupboards close to touching the roof..

are you a dwarf??? :D
Do you have ceiling heights of less than 2.4m?

can actually look good having your cupboard all the way to the ceiling. We did this with our kitchen and am really happy with the result

dawf ? are you a giant ?? i am 170cms pretty average for my generation and high for my race... which average like 160

at 750mm above bench i'll be on tippy toes trying to get to back of overhead cupboards first shelf let alone second and third would definately need step ladder lol

my kitchen bench is reasonablely high as the lady i bought it from was like 180-190 cm and kitchen was designed for tall person :pPP

New problem lol i decided to do the benchtop over the skirting instead of removing it. now my bench corner wont touch the wall so i have like 1 INch yes 1 INCH!! of space to fill up... any tippies ??

well its baout 10-15mm on right hand side and 20-25mm on left hand side.. i think the wall isnt quiet straight :p kitchen bench definately is..

my idea is 2 piece of cement sheet. on left hand side to the kitchen window and 1 piece of slightly thicker cement sheet on right hand side and fill it up to almost bench space leave 8-10mm worth of space for tile + glue(lots of the thinset stuff :p its going to be fun as i am doing 2x kitchen reno at same time... one for me and one for mum lol.

running price so far 1800, going to be 2000 by time i am done with tiles, and 2500 when done with plumbing n electrical ... superlow budget reno 2x kitchens ^_^

New problem lol i decided to do the benchtop over the skirting instead of removing it. now my bench corner wont touch the wall so i have like 1 INch yes 1 INCH!! of space to fill up... any tippies ??

Tip! get out the yellow pages or newspaper and look up handymen!!! ;)

Back