Kiva - helping others via micro-credit

As of today:

We have 74 members - hurrah!

We have made 3,627 loans totalling US$93,750

Give yourselves a heart round of applause!

WOW! That's great. We should hit $100K in no time.

Whenever I get the Email to say I have credit I donate it again. I also up my donation each year as otherwise it's costing me nothing.

It's a great charity and it helps so many people for such a small cost.

If you haven't joined up please do so.

I read this thread awhile ago,i'll donate when i'm ready btw.

Anyhow read about a local.in an article,how some guy had given out 36 loans +.

He's a retired guy and i'm thinking how in the fluffy ducks do ya do that?

At the end of the article he was loaning to Kiva!

Good stuff!

So far 8/17 loans have been paid back. Only 2 of them ended with loss and the rest are paying back. That is an awesome outcome!

So far 8/17 loans have been paid back. Only 2 of them ended with loss and the rest are paying back. That is an awesome outcome!
Actually, that's way worse than average; you've been unlucky!

Their overall default rate is only 1.2%.

I've made nearly 300 loans and I can only recall 1 or 2 defaulting, which seems consistent with their statistics.

Did you try hard to pick the dodgiest-looking borrowers? :p ;)

Well... took a closer look. They both paid 92% back actually!

Some loans will result in a "loss" due to exchange rate not because of default. I've only had 2 defaults in over 70 loans (still nearly double the average), but 6 resulting in a "loss" overall.

That's still excellent in my view as the overall "loss" is still sub-$40.... that doesn't even rate as a first world problem where not getting our morning Latte can be a drama for many.... ;)

I made three yesterday - hoping I did it right to count for team SS.

If SS is your only team, pretty sure it chooses that automatically

Question for anyone involved, whats been your average duration of payback?

Last edited:
Been chipping in what i can, but activity around here seems really quiet, why is that?

I've now collected all the categories
jVZYxDm

Next step is all the countries.

I've been meaning to look at this, it sounds like a great idea.

Will sign up today. Only if you are comfortable sharing, but what initial loan value did most people start with?

Will sign up today. Only if you are comfortable sharing, but what initial loan value did most people start with?

99% of the loans are $25 so it'll be in multiples of that.
I think i did say 4 of them to start, I've done others since. The cool part is when they begin repaying their repayments each month, sometimes you can go again using only that money without injecting more of your own.

I put $100 to start. Good way to help people and, not just in a hand out way.

I did $100 or 4 loans to start too. As they have been paid back I have reinvested the money again and again.

Back