Knocking down a load bearing wall.

Hi all,

I recently purchased my 1st IP in Canberra and would eventually like knock down a wall which I suspect is load bearing.
An additional room with ensuite was added to an exisitng bedroom, but to gain access you first walk through the first bedroom and through another doorway to the extended bedroom and ensuite. These two rooms ain't big neither, therefore want to knock the down the wall in between these two rooms to make a large main bedroom. I think the wall interconnecting the rooms used to be the outside wall. So, while the IP is still waiting to be tennanted. I think I should first get a professional to look at it and approved by council.
The question is: What process do I begin with? Do I get a builder to look at it first or an architect? Is it possible to knock down a load bearing wall? Does the builder or architect draw up the new plans for council approval.
Does someone have a recommended builder in Canberra?

Thanks guys and girls!

hi gomum
yes you can pull down a load bearing wall but there is a lot of work involved to support the wall first
and take the weight off the wall (usually ag props)and you need then to use a beam to span the distance and the beam will be dependant on the span and the weight (and don't supprised if the builder has that you need to crane the beam in if this is an external and it holding the roof).
a builder would be the first port of call as they will tell you a cost to do it.
removing internal walls are not a council issue here in nsw ( or they weren't when I did a few) but they can be a bit tricky especially when using L and h shaped beams and they are not for a novice.

talk to an engineer as your first point, he will be able to advise you on whether it's load bearing, and the best methods to achieve what you want.

Thanks!
I think I will get a builder to have a look first to see how big the job really is and may drop by the archi-centre to see what they have to recommend. As the house is in the ACT.

Back