Labor in office, what will happened to property investment?

$4500 for a computer???

Anyone who pays that for a computer might just be silly enough to think the sky is falling because the ALP is back in.

I believe WA residents are going to the polls to vote for independance and be free of the federal govt's grapples. Seeing you guys have been subsidising the rest of us lazy sods out East for as long as I can remember, and will continue to do so for the next 20 years, you ought to stop this blind robbery. Imagine when all BHP and RIO taxes are re-invested in WA, you'd get the new Freeway and Mandurah bypass all the way down to Margs. But no, we need money and loads of it to fund toll less 3 lane freeways all the way down to Canberra. And when I have to travel 20kms to visit my folks, I get hit with $7.50 each way on the tolls.

Australians are now becoming a bunch of lazy whining gits who prefer to blame others rather than look deep and hard into a mirror and do something about their supposed predicament. Working families really have not had it so good. People take everything for granted from flash cars to plasma TV screens, holidays and all the luxury items in life. They should be lucky that theres food on the table and we have running water!

For the record, I am neither a Labor or Liberal supporter and did not vote over the wend cos I removed myself from the roll. A supposedly free and democratic society should not be forcing its subjects just so that monkeys can vote like blind Freddies. But am glad Labor got up only because they have a much favourable income tax plan which suits my strategy just fine over the next few years. Use the system folks because it ain't gonna help you.

John Howard lied countless times to the Australian people and introduced unpopular policies such as Workchoices which reduced job security. Many Australians didn't like the direction society was headed and voted for a change. Remember, it's not always about the money!!

/QUOTE]

Dear TheHeath,

1. I understand that Australians have twice voted out 2 serving Liberals PMs over workplace reforms.

2. What exactly is the issue underlying this workplace reforms? Is it a question of balancing the employers' vs employees interests and social fairness, or rather an rooted issues between Businesses vs Unions group interests? What the main root source to this issue that workplace reforms was deemed neccessary? Why was it deemed neccessary in the first place?

3. Looking to be further educated on this aspect, please.

4. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

seems cheap compared to the letter I just opened confirming $8000 in stamp duty on mortgages. makes my blood boil

Death and taxes...eh... you don't mind when they all go to education and health but when that is <25% of the total budget expenditure, you wonder how the govt can get away with robbery and not get locked up. User pay I reckon!

Hi all

I just remember 1 thing from the campaign....

" We will tell them what they want and when we get in we will do what we want" Peter Garrat ALP!!! Dam tooten if you ask me.

Dear Celeste,

1. I honestly believe that this is what Kevin Rudd and his ALP Team will subsequently do exactly, now that they have been officially voted into power. Let us wait and see things further for ourselves in due course.

2. I personally believe that Peter Garrett seriously meant it when he made the gaffe "purposively" and in a very deliberate and calculated manner. Consequently, I believe that It was no accidental slip of tongue but a well calculated move on Peter's part to "hint" out to the Australian public.

3. Consequently, I believe Peter Garrett to be a more honest and truthful person than Kevin Rudd, even though Kevin is more professional with his political correct behaviours and has sharper political instincts.

4. I sort of further observed that Peter Garrett was sort of being "gagged" subsequently for the rest of the campaign, after Kevin Rudd corrected him on the ALP's Green policy and after Peter has made his gaffe.

5. Do you or/and other members made the same observations about Peter Garrett and Kevin Rudd in this regards?

6. For your further comments and discussion, please.

7. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

I believe WA residents are going to the polls to vote for independance and be free of the federal govt's grapples.

Seeing you guys have been subsidising the rest of us lazy sods out East for as long as I can remember, and will continue to do so for the next 20 years, you ought to stop this blind robbery.

Imagine when all BHP and RIO taxes are re-invested in WA, you'd get the new Freeway and Mandurah bypass all the way down to Margs. But no, we need money and loads of it to fund toll less 3 lane freeways all the way down to Canberra. And when I have to travel 20kms to visit my folks, I get hit with $7.50 each way on the tolls.

1. "all BHP and RIO taxes are re-invested in WA"? Any good reasons why this cannot be done now or in the near future?

2. "WA residents are going to the polls to vote for independance and be free of the federal govt's grapples.". Was there such a move made before in the past?

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Dear All,

1. According to Ross Gittins, it was reported that "the chances of a recession occurring sometime during Kevin Rudd's ALP Government reign are high — almost guaranteed. Worse, the chances of a recession in the next three years are high."

2. "What's on our immediate horizon is not a recession but the opposite: a boom in which the Reserve Bank is struggling to slow the economy down and so ease inflation pressure."

3. "In our history, the mishandling of booms has often precipitated a recession. Should the Reserve overdo the rate rises, we may find it stops the economy rather than just slowing it."

4. "It has emerged from this election campaign with commitments to cut taxes and increase government spending that are quite inappropriate for a Government hoping to minimise the number of further rate rises."

http://business.theage.com.au/poisoned-chalice-for-economic-neophytes/20071125-1cpz.html?page=2

5. For your further comments and discussion,please.

6. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Is Ross Gittens an Actuary. If not then he is just having an educated guess when it come to a recession.
He can probably write a good story , though to entice readers.

The reserve bank is not part of th Government and acts independently from the Government , the govt does not force the RBA to behave in a certain way. dont start merging the 2 in an argument about property and govt.

The reserve bank is not part of th Government and acts independently from the Government , the govt does not force the RBA to behave in a certain way.

dont start merging the 2 in an argument about property and govt.
Dear Redsquash,

1. After AlexLee's explanation, I still do not quite understand how the Australian Economy is being actually managed and run in real life context.

2. Care to educate me further on this aspect especially about the actual roles play by RBA and the Government and how they manage/control/influence the Economy the way they are required to do?

3. How exactly does the RBA Board Chairman and its members get to be recommended and appointed in the first place?

4. Are these political appointees appointments? Who exactly do they report to and held accountable by?

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Hi all

Kenneth, dido I do believe that they all lie to get in. I also, know that a promise sometimes cannot be met when they are other outside influences.

As for the computer, the school that my daughter goes to does not give you a choice, you have to purchase from them as they have them all set up with the relevant software / security for the internet etc.

As for work choices, Hands up anyone and I mean anyone who has or knows someone that has been jipped of wages and or sacked or any thing else....I should start a pol. I have family a big family in melbourne and lots here in Perth, I have yet to hear of anyone treated unfairly under the work place agreements. Just about all professional employments are by contract anyway??

How many of those against work place agreements have a business that employees? How many have found that the work ethic of those you employ slipping.?

Also, both parties promised lots of things that cost lots of $. Did anyone hear that the RBA blamed some of the interest rate rises on the tax cuts that the gov't has issued and that both parties be careful of their promises, as they could effect interest rates in the future?
and they may find they cannot deliver.

Oh, Rudds going to train along with the lower end of the promises to look as if he will come thru with the rest. But wait and see!!

Rudd also made me uneasy when Howard come up with tax cuts and Rudd told the media " I don't have to hurry with mine".
- why didn't he already have something in this area prepared.
- and now, they complained about workplace agreements. except they haven't even formulated an alternative? they're are working on it now!!
- What really have they got on paper except "new computers". I heard on the news tonight that he has just asked for numbers on how many - they don't even know how many - how did they do a budget and come up with $ cost then.?

That's all from me rambling for now it's late and I need beddy byebyes.:D

For your further comment

One more thing..

Interest rates are dictated by inflation is this correct? As I always hear the financial guys refering to it when they are predicting a rise or not?

As petrol $ and increase food $ due to the drought are hardly under the gov't control. How exactly does the gov't regulate or even think of making promises re - interest rates when they do not have total or from my observations much control?

Does the $ value play a part in interest rates?

Sorry, I did do economics at school and I am a senior bookkeeper with 30 odd yrs experience. I still do not understand the relationship between inflation and employment rates. Same as I could never understand a company spending $1 to save 30c tax at tax time?? I'd rather pay 30c in tax and have 70c in my pocket??:D

Dear Celeste,

1. I share your same feeling and hunches when I observe on TV how Kevin and ALP handles the press interviews. I have this funny feeling that they are simply trying to put up a calm and confident front in a convincingly manner and then try to "bluff" their way through AS IF they already have some solid alternatives detailed plans in place at hand when in fact they have none even at the time when the campaign was on.

2. Consequently, my own suspicions regarding Kevin and his Team's sincerity and transparency towards the Australian public.

3. To me, this whole election is essentially just a GAME of

- who's better at making the promises which effectively and best resonates with the Australian voters,

- who looks more convincingly and sincerely to the Australian public, and

- who is more able to win the most votes so that the winner get to rule Australia and stay at the Kirribilli House for free.

4. Interestingly, the SMH reported a similar story theme in one of its articles published today, entitled, "Storytelling the secret to happy ending".

5. This should prove to be an interesting reading material. The article can be found at:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...to-happy-ending/2007/11/25/1195975870812.html

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Last edited:
John Howard broke his promises time and time again, and was voted out.

If Kevin Rudd breaks his promises, the ALP will be out in 3 years, and they won't be back for a LONG time after that.

My prediction is that Rudd sticks to the majority of promises made, and knowing that he may only have three years, will implement those promises very quickly.

John Howard broke his promises time and time again, and was voted out.

If Kevin Rudd breaks his promises, the ALP will be out in 3 years, and they won't be back for a LONG time after that.

My prediction is that Rudd sticks to the majority of promises made, and knowing that he may only have three years, will implement those promises very quickly.

1. Agreed ...

2. ... But is he and his ALP Team capable and competent enough to deliver on all his promises in the manner to the voters' satisfaction?

3. As reported in the SMH today, Kevin has publicly confirmed that " Wayne Swan will become the treasurer, Lindsay Tanner will be finance minister and Julia Gillard will handle industrial relations."

4. It was further reported that Kevin Rudd would not "guarantee Peter Garrett would become environment minister".

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...ork-says-new-pm/2007/11/25/1195975870386.html

5. Thus, it seems to me that there is a high chance that Peter Garrett may not eventually get his Environment Minister portfolio since Kevin has conveniently failed to confirm nor willing to guarantee the appointment to Peter Garrett so far in the same press interview...

6. ... and IF this further becomes an actual reality subsequently, then I must say that Kevin Rudd has indeed proven himself to be a real politician in the classic sense. Consequently, Australians should only listen but not to trust Kevin if they do not want to be similarly be disappointed by him as Peter Garrett would probably soon find out for himself... Or perhaps, Peter Garrett may have already known this within himself previously when he last made his gaffe?

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Interesting to note that in regard to that first IP, I purchased it in '92 for 65K, the people I bought it off had paid 89K.......18 months earlier. Sold it in '98.........for you guessed it.............65K

So don't anyone ever tell me that property only ever goes up.......mmmKKK

But as for what I have right now, I don't really care. All long term buy & hold.

ciao

Nor

I think the problem with the 7-10 year doubling rule that is always quoted is that in a lot of cases it works out over a longer period when you go back and calculate the average.

I can give examples of houses that did nothing for a 7-10yr period through the nineties - so it disproves the rule. But then between years 11 and 13 the house tripled in value. Hence when you look at the average over the say 14 years, the 7-10 principle holds true. Can also happen even over longer periods eg. 20yrs etc.

To the Labor supporters I hope you are right. I hope they have dropped the kind of dated ideoligical baggage that Latham championed. I hope Rudd was serious about his agreement with Howard over the last year, even though he disagreed for the last ten years.

However when it comes to responsable governing history is not on the ALPs side.

The Labor party have only been voted into office twice since WW2, both times they have left the country with serious problems. How many billions in debt was the country in 96 and how much debt is the country in now.
Oh yeah and when Howard was treasurer home mortage rates peaked at about 14% not the bank rate 22%.

I hope Rudd will be a good PM.

I can give examples of houses that did nothing for a 7-10yr period through the nineties - so it disproves the rule. But then between years 11 and 13 the house tripled in value. Hence when you look at the average over the say 14 years, the 7-10 principle holds true. Can also happen even over longer periods eg. 20yrs etc.
Dear Steveadl,

1. I agree.

2. Consequenty, having seen how some of my Perth properties have already doubled in value in less than 3 years period since 2003, I am wondering how exactly the same/ similar Perth properties, as mine, would have continued to further evolve over the next few years.

3. In general, the Perth Property Market has more or less levelled off in 2007. It is presently still "taking a breather", while the market continues to digest and adjust itself between differing market performance for the various different suburbs in terms of the varying of housing stocks currently available for sale and varying house price movements across different suburbs.

4. What is clear, is that the median house price in Perth has generally held up itself well in 2007, being supported by the prevailing market demand/conditions, with no significantly rapid housing price growth, (as previously seen over the last few years), being further reported at this point in time;- though at the micro market levels, certain suburbs are still achieving more than 30% price growth during the same time period as observed presently.

5. It is unclear at this point in time whether the housing price in the Perth Property Market will further surge itself forward over the next few years, once present market pause is over, though its underlying market fundamentals are generally strong and can further afford to support more price surge where neccessary.

6. I further agree with the_Analyst's assessment that existing market ground conditions are such it allows for the median house price in Perth to surge forward further and overtake the existing median house price in Sydney, in the immediate near future, (in terms of market demand and following recent increase in the average household income levels in Perth) ;- though the existing challenge is, "will it probably do so over the next few years or/and at the next boom in the new Property Cycle or otherwise?"

7. There are no clear market signals as to which way the median house price in Perth is likely to perform and evolve out over the next few years, at this point in time.

8. Consequently, I have still not decided exactly what to do with my own remaining Perth properties, though I am re-positioning myself for the expected continued recovery for the Sydney Property market to take place from 2009 onwards, at this point in time.

9. How will the recent Election outcome affect the Perth property market? I think there is no clear answers, at this point in time, as the market is still digesting the news.

10. For your further comments and discussion, please.

11. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

9. How will the recent Election outcome affect the Perth property market? I think there is no clear answers, at this point in time, as the market is still digesting the news.

Kenneth, I'd say the market has already factored the ALP win in. The ALP were clear favorites to win from a year back. Downer, one of Howard's closest allies, admitted on Sunday morning that the government knew back in March that they wouldn't be re-elected.

I am pretty sure the markets have already factored an ALP win into the prices.

The bigger risk australia has is a global retraction that effects China & India. The impact on Australia will be significant no matter who is in charge.

You have referenced "learn on the job" and "inexperienced" ALP. In Australia, unlike Singapore, the opposition have shadow ministers who while in opposition represent their portfolios. They aren't completely in the dark. Also, unlike Singapore, there is a seperation of State and Giovernment (though Howard worked hard to blur the lines there). The same government departments running the portfolios, making suggestions, advising the ministers and basically controlling these areas, are still in place. They are (or shouldn't be) party aligned and as such the same assistance that was there for the previous government will be there for the new government.

You may have noticed that during reshuffles ministers are moved around to different portfolios. Howards last was early this year. Using your reasoning of "learning on the job", you could conclude that every cabinet reshuffle results in a new government. It's not the case. The staff in the departments remain across many many ministers.

Lastly, I don't think Peter Garrett would be a good environment minister. His environmental history is laid out for all too see. he was quite radical in his thinking and as a result he can be shown to be in a compromised position. That's not good for him and it's not good for the Government. I think Peter Garrett is good for Australia but in a different portfolio. He can influence government decisions in cabinet meetings but somebody else can publicise and justify the decisions without the weight of a rock & roll history.

Back