Labor in office, what will happened to property investment?

Kenneth,try this site if you want to understand in Australian terms about all area's of investing..http://users.bigpond.net.au/renton/index.htm#books..

Renton has several books on property investing in Australia from 1980 up to today,there is some good reading about the Legislation which abolished the tax deductibitity of interest on negative gearing property transactions enacted in 1985,when Paul Keating was the Federal Treasurer..willair.
Dear Willair,

1. Thank you for your recommendations and reference..

2. I have already read 2 of his books on "Learn More about Property" and "Family Trust" , previously.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOh

Listening on the radio last night on the way home - 4bc...
some academic was on, saying (per se) the liberals are now the inexperienced side now that theyve lost so many..
So perhaps the right choice did get made at the end.

as its been said... time will tell

Alexlee,

1. I thought my post was simple and easy to follow up. You asked me why Perth can not perform? why Perth's house should not be cheaper than Sydney's? I answered in a very simple term - High income, lowest unemployment rate, big economy (growing) while Sydney and Vic have nothing (why they are in recession).

2. I also believe WA will be performing in the future years NOT like Sydney and Melbourne.

3. I thought it was so easy to follow. Maybe you think things differently?

4. I do not like to use many words to explain a simple term and common sense.

Kenneth,

1. I found you eventually thought the 3 year election in Australia does NOT very matter to the economy.

2. I think the whole Australia property market will be stablising for a very long time, even in growing WA.

3. Demand moves the market. Economy development generates demand. I have found apart some suburbs in Perth. The market in WA is going reasonably well.

4. If you invest wise, I believe you still make a lot of money in WA. Why people hate bear share market but the bull market? You buy in growing market not a down market.

5. I believe you read Sundays and Saturdays paper. How crazy about the properties in Trig, Sorrento... Are all these people idiots? I do not think so.

Alexlee,

One of my old neighbours told me his old house in Sydney was bout 45km to CBD and 40km to the beach, but his similar house in Perth is about 20km to Perth CBD, 3km to the beautiful beach, 2km to the train station (now two houses are similar price, Perth one is a bit cheaper). Assuming he has same job (he works in AUSPOST), would you think he would like to live in Sydney or Perth? (of course many other factors I have said here). he told me NO way he would go back to Sydney.

High income, lowest unemployment rate, big economy (growing) while Sydney and Vic have nothing (why they are in recession).

Uh, Melbourne, at least , is certainly not in recession. Usually in a recession you don't see property prices jumping up the way Melbourne's have been.

If you assume the mining boom continues, Perth will continue to boom. If it doesn't.....

I think I'll quit the field, since I obviously am not smart enough to debate with you. Ciao.
Alex

One of my old neighbours told me his old house in Sydney was bout 45km to CBD and 40km to the beach, but his similar house in Perth is about 20km to Perth CBD, 3km to the beautiful beach, 2km to the train station (now two houses are similar price, Perth one is a bit cheaper). Assuming he has same job (he works in AUSPOST), would you think he would like to live in Sydney or Perth? (of course many other factors I have said here). he told me NO way he would go back to Sydney.

ONE person. Comparing ONE Sydney house to ONE Perth house. What is that representative of, exactly? I can just as easily find a Perth person who prefers the fact that Sydney is a bigger city. What would that prove? Not much.

In any case, Analyst, aren't YOU moving to Melbourne?
Alex

Analyst hate to bust your bubble but....
I dont think NSW is looking over its shoulder. We may not have the pilbara, but we do have Martin place. And there is money in money so to speak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Sydney

"Sydney is now established as the corporate and financial capital of Australia, and is also a very important financial centre in the Asia-Pacific.[5] Sydney has the largest economy in Australia, and there is dispute over the second largest economy between western Sydney and Australia's second biggest city, Melbourne. Sydney is home to the headquarters of the Australian Stock Exchange and the Reserve Bank of Australia. Of the 54 authorised deposit-taking banks with operations in Australia, 44 are based in Sydney. This includes nine of the 11 foreign subsidiary banks in Australia and all of the 29 local branches of foreign banks. Major authorised foreign banks in Sydney include Citigroup, UBS Australia, Mizuho Corporate Bank, HSBC Bank Australia and Deutsche Bank. Other global banks have established highly successful back office operations in Sydney. Of the top 20 global banks, 17 have operations in Sydney, NSW state government July 2006. This translates as every single foreign bank has its headquarters in Sydney, excluding one and almost 50% of all Australian owned banks are headquartered in Sydney. Sydney also serves as the regional headquarters for numerous multinational corporations. 20th Century Fox has large Sydney studios. Sydney's CBD is the largest in Australia and also has plenty of satellite cities. One notable Satellite city is Parramatta, which is bigger than some state capital cities, making it Australia's sixth largest city, succeeding Adelaide."

ONE person. Comparing ONE Sydney house to ONE Perth house. What is that representative of, exactly? I can just as easily find a Perth person who prefers the fact that Sydney is a bigger city. What would that prove? Not much.

In any case, Analyst, aren't YOU moving to Melbourne?
Alex

Alex, I found you like to go to extreme. I used my neighbour as an example. He is a normal bloke joe. I did not say everyone said that.

I want to move to Melbourne because I do not need a job and my wife is looking for a job but .... (that is what I said employment and economy is important). There is direct flight in Melbourne to my old place but Perth has not got. My relatives could not visit us often. Apart from my own house, I do want to keep all other investment here. Keep them for retirement and my children.

Also, I honestly believe China will have a long way to go. It does not mean they do not have problems. Mate, trust me on this.

Analyst hate to bust your bubble but....
I dont think NSW is looking over its shoulder. We may not have the pilbara, but we do have Martin place. And there is money in money so to speak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Sydney

"Sydney is now established as the corporate and financial capital of Australia, and is also a very important financial centre in the Asia-Pacific.[5] Sydney has the largest economy in Australia, and there is dispute over the second largest economy between western Sydney and Australia's second biggest city, Melbourne. Sydney is home to the headquarters of the Australian Stock Exchange and the Reserve Bank of Australia. Of the 54 authorised deposit-taking banks with operations in Australia, 44 are based in Sydney. This includes nine of the 11 foreign subsidiary banks in Australia and all of the 29 local branches of foreign banks. Major authorised foreign banks in Sydney include Citigroup, UBS Australia, Mizuho Corporate Bank, HSBC Bank Australia and Deutsche Bank. Other global banks have established highly successful back office operations in Sydney. Of the top 20 global banks, 17 have operations in Sydney, NSW state government July 2006. This translates as every single foreign bank has its headquarters in Sydney, excluding one and almost 50% of all Australian owned banks are headquartered in Sydney. Sydney also serves as the regional headquarters for numerous multinational corporations. 20th Century Fox has large Sydney studios. Sydney's CBD is the largest in Australia and also has plenty of satellite cities. One notable Satellite city is Parramatta, which is bigger than some state capital cities, making it Australia's sixth largest city, succeeding Adelaide."

Mate,

1. People do not have a job. Then they killed the FOX because they can not pay the bill
2. People do not have a job. They do not buy a house, so do nto go to the bank.
3. Bigest city will be biggest unemployment place
4. Big does not mean good. It means more traffic jam, more time travel, more social problem..
5. Can All australians be employed or work in banking and financing industry?
6. I heard(?) some banks want to relocate their services to other countries because it is too expensive here. So which means ....

From the Ghostbusters:

STANTZ (intense)
Look at the structure of the roof cap. It
looks exactly like the kind of telemetry
tracker NASA uses to identify dead pulsars
in other galaxies.

SPENGLER
And look at this, Peter
(indicates another diagram)
Cold-riveted girders with selenium cores.

Venkman leans in to look but suddenly notices that they have an audience.

VENKMAN (to their cellmates)
Everybody with us so far?

The other prisoners mutter and scratch their heads, then drift off.

Mate,

1. People do not have a job. Then they killed the FOX because they can not pay the bill
2. People do not have a job. They do not buy a house, so do nto go to the bank.
3. Bigest city will be biggest unemployment place
4. Big does not mean good. It means more traffic jam, more time travel, more social problem..
5. Can All australians be employed or work in banking and financing industry?
6. I heard(?) some banks want to relocate their services to other countries because it is too expensive here. So which means ....

Some one better tell the residents of new York and London to evacuate the cities before they too implode like Sydney is just about too.

However when it comes to responsable governing history is not on the ALPs side.

The Labor party have only been voted into office twice since WW2, both times they have left the country with serious problems. How many billions in debt was the country in 96 and how much debt is the country in now.

Oh yeah and when Howard was treasurer home mortage rates peaked at about 14% not the bank rate 22%.
Dear Equitymate,

1. Responsible Government + Effective Economic Managment/Growing Australian Economy are exactly my real core concerns as an foreign investor, beside looking at the usual housing demand and supply related factors.

2. It seems to me then, on the balance of what has been said in this forum, an ALP Govt is not good for me as an foreign investor if what you said is indeed true and accurate as far as the nature of the political party in power ruling the Australian Federal Government and their past track record are concerned then.

3. Can you and other members, please further comment/ make a critique on my tentative view in this respect?

4. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Analyst, I love Western Australia (I hold BHP) & believe we should all love were we are from, but some of the smugness in some WA posters calling for the downfall of Sydney without any decent evidence beggars belief.
Atleast Melbournites know where is better ;)

"Pride comes before the fall"- Hebrew Proverb

3. Can you and other members, please further comment/ make a critique on my tentative view in this respect?

yeah, I think I can sum it up for you Kenneth. If there is a pro-ALP, or even a even comment between the parties and how they have governed in the past and how they will possibly governed in the future, you debate it and ask for qualification because you don't believe it.

If there is an anti-ALP post you embrace it in it's entireity even though some of the points in the post have been refuted earlier in this very thread.

Kenneth, it is obvious that you are uneasy about an ALP government, though I am unsure why. maybe it's the just the fact the government has changed which is new to you. Governments don't change in Singapore and at every election you are warned about the devastating effect a change in government would be for Singapore. The media back up this argument. This isn't Singapore. Governments change and our State departments are geared to handle the change with very little consequence. Maybe this is the root cause of your uneasiness, the fact that a government change is completely foreign to you.

On a final note, if you are genuinely not comfortable about investing in Australia with an ALP government in power, then my advice is to sell up or at least limit your exposure. not because it's an ALP government but I believe effective investment decisions are best made when you have a confidence in your environment. You don't seem to be too confident in Australia at the moment.

Dear Equitymate,

1. Responsible Government + Effective Economic Managment/Growing Australian Economy are exactly my real core concerns as an foreign investor, beside looking at the usual housing demand and supply related factors.

2. It seems to me then, on the balance of what has been said in this forum, an ALP Govt is not good for me as an foreign investor if what you said is indeed true and accurate as far as the nature of the political party in power ruling the Australian Federal Government and their past track record are concerned then.

4. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Kenneth,

I think history says alot more about what a party stands for, rather than what the party says it stands for just to get elected. Sure partys change overtime.

You would be hard pressed to find anyone who would think the ALP is more accomodating to foreign investors. Last year they opposed this..
http://www.deacons.com.au/UploadedC..._tax_reforms_for_non-residents_introduced.pdf

cheers

Analyst, I love Western Australia (I hold BHP) & believe we should all love were we are from, but some of the smugness in some WA posters calling for the downfall of Sydney without any decent evidence beggars belief.
Atleast Melbournites know where is better ;)

"Pride comes before the fall"- Hebrew Proverb

1. I did not indicate that.

2. I am saying (if you read my last few posts) Australia in overall the property marketing is stablizing. You got to invest wise and avoid lemons.

3. I can not find anything to support why some part of Melbourne is doing well ---- Only one reason: it seems cheaper.

4. A lot of media says about how bad Perth is. But they do not tell all Australia, in particular, like Sorrento jumps 40% over 3 months.....

5. Their only reason is Perth's price is too high but ignore the fact Perth has only 4 forclosures, Melbourne hundreds, Sydneys in thousands. They ignore how robust the mining and business investment...

Back