Landmark courses

Hiya,

I did the Landmark Forum in 2002 & completed the whole curriculum, along with many people I know. The Landmark courses are not easy. I have done a lot of personal development in my time and my work with Landmark was the most challenging, especially in the later stages as I was a member of the leadership body.
I'm no longer associated with Landmark but would recommend them to anyone. I can assure you that the organisation isn't a cult, but I understand why some people think that. The change that can happen to people as a result of the Landmark Forum is sometimes hard to believe. Seeing all the shiny new graduates who can't stop smiling at strangers (which is the majority of them) does seem pretty freaky. Most of us walk around with invisible barriers up & we're not even conscious of them. The work of Landmark is for each person to recognise their barriers and where they came from so they can choose to be free of them.

I recommend that if you're interested you call the centre nearest you about attending an introduction evening with a Landmark Forum leader. If you're like 99% of the audience you'll think that what they promise can't be true but I'd ask that you just suspend your disbelief & ask, "What if it is true? Would it be worth it?"

I'm happy to receive PMs from anyone if they have questions about Landmark. :)

Last edited:
Thanks Ms Jade, one of my friends did it in 2002 also, I couldn't beleive the change in her. I just got back from an intro through another friend. I'm still not 100% so I'm going to another intro. I think I'd get a lot from it. I didn't mention to her that I though it was like a cult but my friend mentioned she was speaking to an old friend today and he said he thought it was like a cult also. I'm sure it's not now, people just become passionate about how much it has improved their life. It's not like pyramid selling is it?

One or two of my friends are way into the Landmark scene. They've been pestering me for so long to sign up and I caved a little while ago; if for no other reason than to shut them up and make them smile.

I can certainly understand the 'cult' comments but I think that it's largely overstated. Passion for a way of thinking and a desire to help those close to you is admirable, albeit some do go a little over the top with it all.

I've got a three-day course booked in for November, I think. We'll see how that goes...

Pretty sure there was another thread here not so long ago about landmark, too. Might be worth a search?

Sorry to disagree but I thought Landmark was crap and walked out by lunchtime on the second day, despite them trying to not let me leave.

They do use some brainwashing tecniques like repeating specific phrases over and over which I found creepy. I would not want my daughter doing any of the courses.

I've done a lot of self development work by myself over the years and feel that I have have a really good sense of self and dont need this sort of thing.

Just my opinion.

Lol. How perfect to find this thread now

And yup, some annoying person has been pestering James non stop for about a year now.. No idea who that could be.. Hahaha - and the course is right on my birthday too! BEST BIRTHDAY PRESENT EVER!

INVSTR - You should go to another intro - Because you get more out of each one you go too - By saying "I think I'd get a lot from it. " is just so so so true. Plus if you don't get anything from it you can get your cash back anyway :D so there isn't anything to lose!

But you will love it - I did it in Jan 08 and my life is completely unrecognisable. After I did it, I started my own business which I'd been wanting to do for ages.. then I did their Advanced Course and Self Expression and Leadership program - from that I ended up in Africa doing Volunteer work with orphans (which I'd never ever ever ever thought about before).. and now rather than chasing the big $$$$$ that I'd been after forever I've started a not-for-profit and we're building a school in Kenya!

That wasn't even possible for me before - I had my the next ten years of my life planned out as - get lotsa money, buy lotsa houses, be really successul, and THEN I'll be happy.. It was allll about ME.

It's funny.. I think in the intro's they say "Anything you want for yourself and your life is available out of your participating in the Landmark Forum.." and I thought, what a crock of ****.

Once you do it.. you go.. OHHHH... it's true :D

Savanna100 - they repeat things sometimes because most people in the room aren't listening - they are too caught up in their judgements and assesments of what's going on, that they can't hear a friggin thing the landmark forum leader is saying! It's a bummer you walked out :p

But you're right - you definitely don't need it - no one does! Some people 'want it', some people are curious, some people just do it because friend's tell them to do it.. and some people don't want a bar of it.. it's all valid :) No one needs it though!

Good luck INVSTR - let me know if you do it! I'd love to find out what u got out of it!!

I've taken an interest in personal development since the early 1970s, and seen one bandwagon after another roll through town.

I am yet to see a Landmark analogue focus their love, compassion, enthusiasm, and superior path to wisdom and wealth on the disabled.

They just don't have the pulling power or the narratives of the Catholic church, to get the crippled inside the door.

But I guess if you aren't crippled, mentally or physically, Landmark might just be better than another night on the couch in front of the box.

I can't help but think, those who get the most out of these things are those who had the least going on beforehand.

BTW, unfortunately if you are "mentally crippled," which includes being on any prescriptions for depression, anxiety, etc - You are prohibited from participating in the Landmark Forum. Sadly, this ruled out a couple of my dearest family & friends.

Winston - Ouch! Hhehee.. like Ms Jade said.. you'll find that most Landmark Education senior graduates are extremely successful, wealthy and healthy minded individuals :) There is one year long program called Team Management and Leadership which is reknowned for pumping out multi-millionaires.

And you're right, it's a damn straight better than wasting your brain in front of the television..

Hi Shonnie and Jade:

I base my views on Landmark due to its model's similarity to several predecessors (EST in the 70s and its offshoots)....and the two leaders in Brisbane who were relentless in trying to get me to go along last year. Their coercive spin and psychology was parrot repetitive of what I have seen through the decades. In fact, long termers in the field have called this enthusiasm NSS (new student syndrome), neophyte neurotica etc. These techniques are all based on Landmark having something the rest of the world doesn't, a secret, a special formula to success, wealth and health.

But each to their own.

It just saddens me that people have to pay to get the emotional support, optimism, and drive they lack.

(It just saddens me that people have to pay to get the emotional support, optimism, and drive they lack.)

I did the landmark course myself and i got alot out of it,however the whole Enroll others into the sharing the possibility of your breakthroughs are alittle strange and too sales orientated for my liking, yes and i do believe for the money and the three days the whole enrolement pyhcology of ther landmark experience MONEY Driven however i did get something out of It. :confused:

I did the landmark course myself and i got alot out of it,however the whole Enroll others into the sharing the possibility of your breakthroughs are alittle strange and too sales orientated for my liking, yes and i do believe for the money and the three days the whole enrolement pyhcology of ther landmark experience MONEY Driven however i did get something out of It. :confused:

That's the bit that creeps me out. I attended an intro at a friends place and I was quite keen until the presenter asked me to promise to sign up and do a course. She said something along the lines that she didn't want me to leave until I signed up. It was way too pushy and that technique definetely pushes me in the opposite direction. The big 'secret' I found quite annoying also. I prefer to know what I'm in for in advance.

I base my views on Landmark due to its model's similarity to several predecessors (EST in the 70s and its offshoots)....and the two leaders in Brisbane who were relentless in trying to get me to go along last year. Their coercive spin and psychology was parrot repetitive of what I have seen through the decades. In fact, long termers in the field have called this enthusiasm NSS (new student syndrome), neophyte neurotica etc. These techniques are all based on Landmark having something the rest of the world doesn't, a secret, a special formula to success, wealth and health.

You are quite right, est was the precursor of the Landmark Forum, and I know people who did the est training and have gone back to do the Forum and other things. Never heard of NSS but i absolutely agree with you, LOL. It's unfortunate that many people get SO over-enthusiastic it's almost scary. And the irony is that any Landmark Forum leader will say that they have no secret formula. It's well known that the work draws on ideas from existentialism, gestalt therapy and particularly from philosophers such as Heidegger. Landmark did not invent most of the ideas, but they put them together in a way that creates results.

That's the bit that creeps me out. I attended an intro at a friends place and I was quite keen until the presenter asked me to promise to sign up and do a course. She said something along the lines that she didn't want me to leave until I signed up. It was way too pushy and that technique definetely pushes me in the opposite direction. The big 'secret' I found quite annoying also. I prefer to know what I'm in for in advance.

You're certainly not alone, INVSTOR. The sales technique is off-putting for almost everyone. Luckily I happened to hear about landmark coincidentally from 3 aquaintances / business colleagues & just rang up & paid the money. Knew nothing about it, really. Looking back I was glad that this happened, as I may not have ever gone in your situation. As I said in the last post, there is no "secret," and it annoyed the cr4p out of me before I went that no one could tell me what it was about! I was told, "You investigate what it is to be human." What the ? does that mean?!
Honestly, it's not that there is a secret; it's just that it's really hard to explain. The reason is that the weekend is more like an adventure than a lecture. You kind of have to experience it. It's not like there's particular knowledge or facts to impart. As i say this i realise it's probably not making sense either. That's the conumdrum. I guess the people that do it either
a) Trust the people who invite them
b) Are curious enough to commit to a 3 day adventure they know little about. (That was me. But BTW, it's perfectly acceptable to strap yourself in for the ride with your scepticism firmly in place. :))

Don't know what landmark is, but we've had people tell us that what we do is similar.

Most personal development courses are based on timeless universal principles that are just packaged and presented under different brands and different laungage. They are the same priniciple that transcend all cultures, religions and philosophies.

Self mastery is difficult to face and people who are not ready for it will make it wrong. Those who are ready will excel to greatness.

Winston - Ouch! Hhehee.. like Ms Jade said.. you'll find that most Landmark Education senior graduates are extremely successful, wealthy and healthy minded individuals :) There is one year long program called Team Management and Leadership which is reknowned for pumping out multi-millionaires.

I know a number of people who have spent years doing Landmark seminars and I can assure you that this is not the case.

What I have seen a lot of is people getting totally into Landmark, trying to get everyone they know or meet to go along. Then getting disillusioned with it and moving on to the next thing - anthony robbins, buddhism, ear-candling or whatever. Then getting totally immersed in that.... and so on and so on.

Yes, I have seen it make major difference in some peoples lives. However Landmark still contains large parts of watered-down EST training. I would recommend that anyone thinking about Landmark should google EST and google Landmark. Look at both sides of the story before you make a decision.

EC

The only 2 people who have asked me to go along were both people that had tried selling Amway, A2k, Tupperware, etc, so I guess I've always been sceptical about, "what are they trying to sell me now".
I've decided Landmark is definately not for me, I'd rather read an inspirational book or do a TAFE course.

Back