Laundry ideas

Hey all.
I have a question probably silly. I'm bout to renovate my laundry and just wondering do you need a troff in a laundry. The laundry is small so trying to use as much space as I can.

Hey all.
I have a question probably silly. I'm bout to renovate my laundry and just wondering do you need a troff in a laundry. The laundry is small so trying to use as much space as I can.

Yes and no :)
I know that was the answer you wanted wasn't it.
According to some state Health Acts you need to have one. However the health act is often turned a blind eye too except in new developments were there has been a bit of a crackdown in my local area.

If you are self renovating then I say 'go for it' ditch the trough and use the space.

90e19b555c9acb55b09d6073bb47977f.jpg

hrmm. yeah its a tough one i think cause they do come in handy at times, especially if your working outside and you need to wash your hands before coming into the house properly.

i think also front load washers & driers help with space too meaning more bench space.

has anyone put/have a drier in their laundry?

I think with your PPOR it is ok to remove the trough if you want....

But with an IP - I think it is a must....
You can get some narrow troughs to fit in the corner - @350mm - useful for tenants to hook up the washing machine drain.
And just enough for a hand wash.....

Can you get a sliding cover made for the tub to give more useable bench space?
Or reposition for less wasted space?

How small is the laundry space....?

Good luck.

Last edited:
No idea what the Health Act would have to do with anything but the BCA requires a tub and it has to be in the same room as the washing machine.

Tools

My PPR does not have a laundry tub, nor does the granny flat I've built. Its just a pipe for drainage.

I don't see why a tub is required - I'm even starting to see front loaders in kitchens of smaller units too (no tub there - unless they consider the kitchen sink a tub).

The laundry size would be 2m x 1.5m I reckon. Not a great size. I'm thinking putting a sink in and cut it out of the bench, run the bench across from one size to other wall mounted cupboards from side to other then front load under bench with a sliding draw for clothes basket

My PPR does not have a laundry tub, nor does the granny flat I've built. Its just a pipe for drainage.

I don't see why a tub is required - I'm even starting to see front loaders in kitchens of smaller units too (no tub there - unless they consider the kitchen sink a tub).

Definitely a British thing that

No idea what the Health Act would have to do with anything but the BCA requires a tub and it has to be in the same room as the washing machine.

Tools

This is the WA Health Act 1911 (has had some updates but is seriously in need of work!!)

https://www.health.wa.gov.au/publications/documents/HealthAct1911.pdf

The laundry size would be 2m x 1.5m I reckon. Not a great size. I'm thinking putting a sink in and cut it out of the bench, run the bench across from one size to other wall mounted cupboards from side to other then front load under bench with a sliding draw for clothes basket

That sounds like a good size. Insetting the tub will into the bench will give a good look that make the room appear larger. Do you need to have a linen cupboard as well?

Under the inset trough consider putting drawers rather than a cupboard as they are handier than cupboard with the plumbing going through.

f12539c5456537e01e387345535c0e91.jpg

OR put a butlers/belfast sink ON the bench for minimal space being taken up underneath

this is a Belfast sink (ignore the silly cupboards underneath)

fa325f48d1e0381a7224b25b38f9d44e.jpg

All I can see in that act is this:

Division 4 ? Sanitary conveniences
99. Houses to have sanitary conveniences
(1) No person shall erect, rebuild, maintain, or use any house, or
keep or use or suffer to be kept or used any public place or
private place without providing for the same sanitary
conveniences, and also bath
room and laundry and cooking
facilities, to the number prescribed, constructed and equipped in
accordance with the local laws of the local government.

It is the BCA that prescribes what the required fixtures are that must be installed.

Tools

I'm even starting to see front loaders in kitchens of smaller units too (no tub there - unless they consider the kitchen sink a tub).

We did this a few years ago - 2008 - with a single bed unit. It was in a large complex, on the top floor (of three) - stairs only - and a communal laundry which was gross. It turned out really well, and I'd definitely do it again, particularly if there's a shared laundry.

Attachments

• Kitchen Hector St.jpg
    Kitchen Hector St.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 172
  • Kitchen 2 Hector St.jpg
    Kitchen 2 Hector St.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 159
We did this a few years ago - 2008 - with a single bed unit. It was in a large complex, on the top floor (of three) - stairs only - and a communal laundry which was gross. It turned out really well, and I'd definitely do it again, particularly if there's a shared laundry.

Cool. I'm going to do the same. :)

Did it cost you much?

The poms have been doing that for decades.

Back