Laundry Tub-Urgent

Hiya

My granny flat's bathroom is quite tight and i have to squeeze space for a washing machine in...i am thinking of not providing a laundry tub for my tenant;

Qns:
1) Do you think you can survive without a laundry tub?

2) If so, how do you do your hand-washing of delicate shirts etc?

thanks!

Laundry tub

Thanks Penny

I gather from your response then that you CAN do without a laundry tub :)

This "delicate cyle" thingy in washing machine: i assume they are also available for the smaller washing machine?

Come to think about it, wonder how they squeeze in everything for those really small studio apartment?:eek:

thanks so much!

Laundry tub

Hi BATTLER

Thanks for taking the effort to post that Building code; but i interpret it as i have the 1st, 2nd and 4th one but not the third requirement...and the next paragraph states clearly that if i must have a minimum of three not four ...

oh dear i sound muddled don' t i?

never used the one in our apartment for anything more than a poorly build shelving unit, i would kill for real shelves instead. My washer has a delicate function on it.

You can get stand alone units that are ~400mm wide these days so i would still always throw one in. If you really get caught out i used a caravan sink once that was 200mm as part of an integrated laundry unit.

BCA 3.8.3.2 states that a class 1 building must be provided with-
(i) a kitchen sink and facilities for the preparation and cooking of food; and
(ii) a bath or shower; and
(iii) clothes washing facilities, comprising at least one washtub and space in the same room for a washing machine; and
(iv) a closet pan and washbasin.

It also states that a kitchen sink or washbasin must not be counted as a laundry washtub.

So yes, you do need a washtub...

Hi Akinut

No, it says you only need a minimum of 3 out of 4 items...:)

Where three or more of these facilities are present; or the nature of the development suggests it could be lived in (such as in a single home unit, for example), then the proposed development will be regarded as self contained and assessed as a “residential”.

I agree with you

Hi Akinut

No, it says you only need a minimum of 3 out of 4 items...:)

It doesn't say that, it says,
Part 3.8.3.2 of the Building Code of Australia, requires a Class 1 building to be provided with the following facilities:-
(i) a kitchen sink and facilities for the preparation and cooking of food;
(ii) a bath or shower;
(iii) clothes washing facilities, comprising at least one washtub and space in the same room for a washing machine; and
(iv) a closet pan and wash basin.

The comment; "Where three or more of these facilities are present; or the nature of the development suggests it could be lived in (such as in a single home unit, for example), then the proposed development will be regarded as self contained and assessed as a “residential”." is not from the BCA, its from the Water Corporation and I would imagine relates to billing.

To comply with the BCA you need a washtub in your laundry...

I think we agree that you need 3/4 and as long as it can be regarded as liveable.

I was once vistiting a unit\townhouse in Canberra that had the laundry/bath combined. It was modern and well done but had the biggest bathroom vanity I had ever seen (... or was it one of the smallest laundry tubs). You could combine the bath/laundry and use a front loader washing machine.. they're great as they can also go under bench? I think the fashionable term is a 'European style Laundry'

need separate laundry tub for washing machine???

It also states that a kitchen sink or washbasin must not be counted as a laundry washtub.

So yes, you do need a washtub...

Hi - I've searched the Building Code - it says
3.8.3.2 Required facilities
(a) A Class 1 building must be provided with-
(i) a kitchen sink and facilities for the preparation and cooking of food; and
(ii) a bath or shower; and
(iii) clothes washing facilities, comprising at least one washtub and space in
the same room for a washing machine; and
(iv) a closet pan and washbasin.

BUT I cannot find this :
Where does it say this??? If so, I suppose I could say that one of the double kitchen sinks was a laundry tub - but I would like to know where you saw this.
thanks!

Back