Leaking Bathroom

I got a letter in the mail today from my strata manager notifying me that water is seeping though to the unit below.

when i purchased the property in 2012 i had a strata report carried out. The property had recently been renovated. In the strata report the leaking bathroom in my unit to the unit below was brought up. however, vendor provided receipts for repairs done to the bathroom to address the leaking . although, he didn't go through the body corporate to get permission for any of the renovation (is this necessary ?)

the letter i got today states there is mold on the ceiling of the unit below and that there is a water leak.

it also states "we remind you that the renovated bathroom was competed by the previous owner and you accepted responsibility for the workmanship"

calling on any strata gurus? it is my responsibly or the body corporates:confused::confused::confused: ?

I am not a strata guru by any means but by reading your post i do not think you have a leg to stand on,you purchased as is and took on the previous owners renovations too and the leak is from your apartment so I do dare say it is your problem.

Your responsibility.
You took on the liability from the previous owner.
And yes, body corporate approval would have been necessary particularly as plumbing was obviously affected.
Marg

Your responsibility.
You took on the liability from the previous owner.
And yes, body corporate approval would have been necessary particularly as plumbing was obviously affected.
Marg

yeah. hoping its only going to be the tiles that need resealing otherwise its going to become a very costly process

I just had a shower leak and body corporate repaired. I paid extra for retiling all of the floor as a tile match could not be found.

If I accepted the shower repair - re waterproof and retile the cost to body corp was $1490

so it was just leaking through the cement slab ? why did body corporate pay if it was your tiles that wernt waterproof? doesn't that make you responsible? Im hoping mines just a case of that rather then an actual leak in the pipes...

Badger I had this problem about 5 years ago in my unit.

The fella living below complained to strata that water was leaking from my bathroom to his.

Strata sent a plumber around who said the water was coming from my bathtub drain.

All of a sudden it became my responsibilty to fix.

I then had to remove the tiles and bricks at the side of the bath tub where the drain is located. Hired a plumber to change the tub drain bit. I remortered the bricks back in and fixed the tiles in place..all up less than about $220 (blood sucking plumber charged about $180 for 10 minutes work!).

Good as gold ever since.

Badger I had this problem about 5 years ago in my unit.

The fella living below complained to strata that water was leaking from my bathroom to his.

Strata sent a plumber around who said the water was coming from my bathtub drain.

All of a sudden it became my responsibilty to fix.

I then had to remove the tiles and bricks at the side of the bath tub where the drain is located. Hired a plumber to change the tub drain bit. I remortered the bricks back in and fixed the tiles in place..all up less than about $220 (blood sucking plumber charged about $180 for 10 minutes work!).

Good as gold ever since.

Will be asking my strata manager for a plumbers number. Id assume they will be connected with plumbers who deal with strata complexes often and would be the best plumber for the job. then i have downstairs to take care of... sanding back the mold and repainting the ceiling... if it wasn't in Warwick Farm and i hadnt seen as much capital gains in the last year as i have, then i would probably be a little bit more angry to be honest

My unit is in Warwick Farm as well.

Your not on Lachlan St are you lol

Your not with ASSM are you lol

Yes you are right about the CG :)

My unit is in Warwick Farm as well.

Your not on Lachlan St are you lol

Your not with ASSM are you lol

Yes you are right about the CG :)

ASSM?

Nope, Forbes. Bought there in 2012 when i was extremely green to property investing and somehow bluffed a decent chunk of equity :D
was speaking with a few local agents who are saying the market is still firing full steam ahead in Liverpool. Personally, i dont think you will be able to find any under 300k in the near future for the older style 2 beddies. then hopefully the rents will jump next. went to an open on remembrance drive on Saturday actually.

I reckon we could reach a stage where development land runs out and developers will start buying whole blocks of units, tearing them down and building new ones. Some of the new ones are over 20 storeys - still easy money for a developer.

ASSM -All Suburbs Strata Management, Railway St Liverpool

Last edited:
I reckon we could reach a stage where development land runs out and developers will start buying whole blocks of units, tearing them down and building new ones. Some of the new ones are over 20 storeys - still easy money for a developer.

ASSM -All Suburbs Strata Management, Railway St Liverpool

Had never thought about that but yes that would seem logical. there is plenty of blocks in the area that have seen better days that's for sure. plenty of new development going on especially just off the hume. It is a little bit worrying there may be an over supply, especially when you can get a 1 bedder off the plan for 300k odd...

Had never thought about that but yes that would seem logical. there is plenty of blocks in the area that have seen better days that's for sure. plenty of new development going on especially just off the hume. It is a little bit worrying there may be an over supply, especially when you can get a 1 bedder off the plan for 300k odd...

Solis 1 bedder from 340K.....less than 60 sqm I think.....bigger ones are over 500K

With new airport, Liverpool looks like becoming the darling suburb of the south west. Demand for property there could be unsatiable...here's hoping!

Solis 1 bedder from 340K.....less than 60 sqm I think.....bigger ones are over 500K

With new airport, Liverpool looks like becoming the darling suburb of the south west. Demand for property there could be unsatiable...here's hoping!

I wasnt going to mention this new airport because every man and his dog are talking about it lol and im sick of hearing about it hahaha, but Liverpool is one of the bigger CBD's closest to Badgeries Creek so its definitely a positive. Was reading over the budget today as well, looking promising for the west.

I'll be happy when my unit hits 400K lol (in Cabra they sold an old 2 bedda in Hughes St for 411K, so anything is possible)

I'll be happy when my unit hits 400K lol (in Cabra they sold an old 2 bedda in Hughes St for 411K, so anything is possible)

well now we just have to talk someone into buying one for 400k in livo then every vendor will want that price ;)

so it was just leaking through the cement slab ? why did body corporate pay if it was your tiles that wernt waterproof? doesn't that make you responsible? Im hoping mines just a case of that rather then an actual leak in the pipes...

We had a leaking bathroom repaired by the body corporate also.

Your issue differs in that the bathroom was "renovated" without authority by the owner, which means the owner of the unit takes on responsibility for any defects. If a builder was involved you may have a claim on them depending on time frames etc.
Marg

We had a leaking bathroom repaired by the body corporate also.

Your issue differs in that the bathroom was "renovated" without authority by the owner, which means the owner of the unit takes on responsibility for any defects. If a builder was involved you may have a claim on them depending on time frames etc.
Marg

What about a plumber ?

Back