Leaking hot water issue in 4 yo house

Hi, I recently bought a 4 year old house. A building inspection was done before the contract went unconditional which did not throw up any issues.

Once I took possession of the house, I found a damp patch on a carpet, which upon further investigation seems to be caused by the hot water cylinder on the outside wall leaking through the wall somehow and into the room.

I have approached the builder who constructed the house, as it is still under warranty, who says this sort of thing is not covered.

Is he correct? And should I have any comeback on the building inspector?

Thanks

JB

"caused by the hot water cylinder on the outside wall leaking through the wall somehow and into the room"

How does an outside service 'leak' through a wall? But even apart from that you really have no idea what is causing the problem. It could be anything such as lack of an effective damp proof course, which is not uncommon either.

I don't know what State is involved but do get onto the appropriate govt building regulatory body for advice. The BSA in Qld for example,

http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/Pages/BuildingServicesAuthority.aspx

Post a pic.

As mentioned a external water heater leaking will not leak into a house but the copper pipes going to the house could be leaking.

Cheers

Post a pic.

As mentioned a external water heater leaking will not leak into a house but the copper pipes going to the house could be leaking.

Cheers

Can't post a pic - I am not in the same state as the property, which is in NSW.

I don't understand how it is happening either, the PM says the carpet is damp in the room exactly inside where the HWU is on the outside.

JB

Can't post a pic - I am not in the same state as the property, which is in NSW.

I don't understand how it is happening either, the PM says the carpet is damp in the room exactly inside where the HWU is on the outside.

JB

There would be pipes right behind the water heater in the wall which is why I am suggesting that it may a leaking pipe.

Generally leaking pipes are very noticeable as the water can gush out due to the pressure. But because the pipes are in the outside wall most of the water could actually be going outside with only a little coming inside.

Could the tenant have actually spilled something and not told the PM.

Cheers

It must be possible to see the suspect pipes because that is also where the pressure relief valve is located.

Even if one was dripping, a tradesmanlike installation would have included sealing of the perforation through outside weather wall. Otherwise rainwater could also get in.

It all sounds like the usual duck shoving of passing the blame to a manufacturer to avoid the builder's responsibility. If the builder is not responsible, the building regulation bureaucrats will say so. But first they do need to be told so they can advise.

We had a similar problem in a brand new unit - it was caused by a nail going through a water pipe during building.

The Y-man

A plumber will be able to pressure test the lines for you and let you know if there is a leaking pipe in the wall.

If it is, then your builders warranty should cover the repair. It might even cover the cost of the plumber.

My guess would be a pipe as every time I've found this in properties I manage it's been a pipe or the shower base!! I'd get your PM to send out their plumber and investigate to find the source of the water. Once you've got it all in writing you know who you need to follow up for repairs!! :)

James Bond,

Before you do anything that could compromise any of your rights to the statutory builder's warranty, ring or better still visit the regulator as I suggested before (my post above) to lodge a complaint.

Please advise the outcome if you don't mind. Either way it could assist others and ensure advice is still forthcoming* for others on the forum.

*I have always been impressed by the practical helpfulness of the forum members. I ahve also been the grateful recipient of advice and suggestions. Thanks people :)

However there are many instances where advice that I have read has not been rounded off with any feedback on outcomes from the OP concerned.

James Bond,

Before you do anything that could compromise any of your rights to the statutory builder's warranty, ring or better still visit the regulator as I suggested before (my post above) to lodge a complaint.

Please advise the outcome if you don't mind. Either way it could assist others and ensure advice is still forthcoming* for others on the forum.

*I have always been impressed by the practical helpfulness of the forum members. I ahve also been the grateful recipient of advice and suggestions. Thanks people :)

However there are many instances where advice that I have read has not been rounded off with any feedback on outcomes from the OP concerned.

Understood. The property is in NSW and I am not, so will investigate over the weekend and contact on Monday.

I presume I contact NSW fair trading? Or is there anyone else I should contact in the first instance?

JB

The only thing I can add is that from what you have already said, the builder has rejected your complaint, so the correct and only avenue is as stated before. Damien has kindly provided a link.

Be aware that the cause and damage may not be as trivial as you think.

The only thing I can add is that from what you have already said, the builder has rejected your complaint, so the correct and only avenue is as stated before. Damien has kindly provided a link.

Be aware that the cause and damage may not be as trivial as you think.

The complaint by the owner to the builder was that the HWS was leaking.

The builder is correct in referring the owner to the manufacturer as it is covered under the manufacturers warranty.

The owner needs to ascertain where the leak is from and then direct the complaint to the appropriate person.

To date the builder has only acted on what the owner has told him.

turk,

A homeowner cannot be expected to competently assess and advise what is the cause of moisture found inside, other than to assure himself that there is no obvious cause such as a flower vase being tipped over.

On receiving a complaint any responsible, accountable builder with some pride in his work would have swung past for a look and to assure the homeowner wouldn't you say? The HWS is located outside and the water is inside the house. That alone should have sparked his curiosity at least.

If the builder's attitude is going to be "You prove it all the way", then it is even more important that the home owner seek advice from the government building inspectors first, and to avoid any work by independent trades that could disturb the work.

Putting it another way, where the homeowner paid for someone to investigate the cause, the likely result is advice that a full inspection was not possible without removing some wall.

Having had a number of homes build I would go to the builder first and foremost every time to give him the opportunity to do the right thing, which many do. But equally my experience is that any reluctance on the part of the builder or any trade to at least swing by for a look usually bodes ill for the homeowner.

But ask any inspector from government building regulation and they will always say with the benefit of hindsight, "Why didn't you come to us first, after the builder did not bother to look?".

OK - the PM contacted a plumber who quite correctly said that this sounds like a building warranty issue.

The builder has visited the property and said he cannot find any fault contributing to this wet patch.

The area affected is about 6 inches square and is on the floor a couple of feet away from the wall which has the hot water system attached to it - weird!

I have called the inspector that did the building report and he is going to attend site to give me an unbiased opinion.

JB

Last edited:
OK, the inspector has been back to the house, this is caused by a very slowly leaking pipe in the cavity. He will produce a full report.

Then we have to get the builder to remove the plasterboard, repair the pipe, replaster, repaint..... that will be the hard bit....

JB

Back