Let's pretend...........

what time would you get up?

Sleeping away your live is not my idea of fun! ;) Presently get up about 8Am and have a leasurly breakfast. Don't make a move again until 9 - 9:30 during which time I will have been on the Net on variuos forums email phoned my business. (even when retired would expect to be involved in a business).

I keep tropical fish so part of my routine is to tend to my fish. If I have a lot of time then this may take 2 hours each morning if for some reason I don't have time then 15min. Have been getting to the office between 11 and midday, leave again by 3. In fact its a hassle when I have to meet people as I suddenly have time contraints rather than my rather fluid approach to the day.

what would you do?

Presently my main interest is fish keeping. If I take up another hobby then so be it.

what would you buy?

Financially can buy whatever I like rightnow but don't. Would buy a F250 dual cab if I could convince myself that it wouldn't just be a gross waste of money. As with all things you own there is a certain amount of time required to tend to the item or make use of it etc and as I find that time is really my limiting factor ie what I want to spend time on , in turn that limits what I want to own.

where would you go and for how long?

My style of hols is to get really involved in the culture of the place which really means living where ever for extended periods of time. At present I would love to spend and extended period of time in Africa around Lake Malawi and Tanganika. Something like 3 to 6 months. But as time constraints will always apply can only do it in 3-4 week periods. Last year went to Malawi planning to go to Zambia this year.

WHAT THEN???

If I got bored with my hobby I would move on to another hobby. I am not one for sitting still might do a night course take up dancing whatever and meet lots of new people. Build a house just for the hell of it!!!;)

Wait for the next property cycle to add dramatically to my wealth, in the mean time just add slowly :rolleyes:

About the One Condition!

Doesn't matter have the same situation now always able to catch up with people on the phone. My live doesn't hinge on spending all my hours with other people, admittedly I need contact but only in smallish durations.

handyandy said:
Presently my main interest is fish keeping.

At present I would love to spend and extended period of time in Africa around Lake Malawi and Tanganika.

Sounds like you are a Cichlid guy! I love them but as the article points out you should avoid swallowing them.

Hi all,

Offtopic.
Handyandy, a bit of a cichlid lover are you, judging from where you want to go. We use to have a wonderful pet in one of our tanks by the name of "Oscar", I don't think I need to tell you what he was(not your area I know).
I don't have the tanks set up anymore, but perhaps you could post some pics of your pride and joys in the gallery.

bye

Just in case you dont know what an Oscar is...well in the fish keeping world it is not an award for moving pictures. It is a kind of ugly but cute and friendly Cichlid fish (A freshwater bony fish from South America) Astonotus ocellatus
Oscar12.jpg

They love to eat and eat well and eat lots often: crickets, eathworms, goldfish, pellets, shrimps, basically anything that fits in there mouths!

Now we are really off topic! Anyway have to wake up in the dark and cold for another day of NOT doing what I wish I was doing!

What time would I get up?
Probably around 10am. I'm a night owl. Even now I rarely go to bed before 12 or 1 and wake up at 7 for work. If I didn't need to wake up for work, I'd go to bed around 3 or 4 in the morning at the earliest. For me, it's not about getting up late = lazy, for me it's making maximum use of the time that you are awake.

What would I do?
One of my plans for once I have achieved my financial goals is to build and operate an indoor skatepark close to the Melbourne CBD. So I'd probably work on that. Get into photography much more than currently. Eat out most nights.

What would I buy?
Lots and lots and lots of records. Music is the core of my life, it's something I could never live without. Oh, and buy a really nice system to play the records.

Where would I travel?
Everywhere. Travelling has always been a dream of mine, but something I haven't done yet. My plan is to spend about three consecutive months of the year travelling. First destinations are definitely Asia and South America.

Once I've achieved all these things?
Well, I'll have management in place at the skatepark, I'll likely still be travelling, spending a lot of time in the darkroom. Other than that, I'd like to devote some of my time to helping others. I had a discussion recently with a friend along these lines and she told me "Gee, it'd be great to travel and do all that - for a holiday. But I'd really like to be doing something worthwhile with my life like giving back to the community." Sounds pretty good to me.

The one condition
Well, I've never really thought about this to honest. I'm a naturally reclusive person, so being surrounded by people has never really been a issue for me. I could quite happily spend most of my days alone with little outside contact.

Wouldn't set the alarm so I would get up when ever but that is usually between 6 and 7 am.
What would I do?
Surf, Windsurf, Golf, Gardening, Reno Houses, Bike Ride, Excersie, Go for walks with wife, go out to lunch, learn to paint, learn blacksmithing, learn other skills, do some adult education. Fishing. Invest.
Would also continue to invest in property, shares, and business's.
Would also go and do some paid work 3-6 months each year.
What would I buy?
toys lots and lots of big boys toys, tools, cars, nice swimming pool, the couple of blocks behind our house, I'd buy a car to play with but I'd make sure I had a family car that I could drive to the shops and not worry too much about it getting scratched. Windsurfing gear is great I can buy enough to be able to go sailing in almost any wind strength. A boat would be nice not sure if I want a big one or just a run about to go fishing in. Nice cloths. More wine and I would build a proper cellar for the wife to keep her wine collection in. I'd buy some business's that way I could help the local economy, give some people employment, sponsor some local activities.
Where would I travel?
I'd get a caravan go around Oz, would also like to do more of the pacific islands, would be nice to take the family to Europe so they can see the history, those old buildings, china would be good same reason and korea and japan.
Once I've achieved all these things?
I would just keep doing more of the same.
The one condition
It's not an issue, if I keep working for a few months each year I get to stay in touch with work mates, caravaning will get you meeting other people and there are plenty to meet at adult training, surfing, windsurfing, golf. I'll have the business's so will need to keep talking to those managers. Should be plenting of social contact, also got the wife and 3 kids, and this forum.

cheers
quoll

Monopoly said:
And lastly, once all of this is done; you have bought all the material things, travelled the world over, slept in day after day, and sat around bored silly – WHAT THEN???
Go back to work of course !!

. . . but continue to do all of the above :D

Steve

Monopoly said:
And lastly, once all of this is done; you have bought all the material things, travelled the world over, slept in day after day, and sat around bored silly – WHAT THEN??? (

Steve Navra said:
Go back to work of course !!

. . . but continue to do all of the above :D

Steve

Exactly!!! ;) Thanks Steve, don't know if it was intentional but quoting just that one question made me realise it was the only one which I completely forgot to answer for myself!! :eek:

Cheers,

Jo

You have achieved a level of passive income to enable you to stop working and finally:

* Sleep in every day till whatever time suits you – what time would you get up?

Tricky question, when you dont have much to look forward to in life you tend to love sleep more, but if I was able to stop working I would probably be ready to attack the day much earlier. I will go with 8am on this one.

* Spend as much or as little time doing whatever you like – what would you do?

Play games, play golf, tour wineries, convince my mates to take sickies and go to the beach with me.

* Buy all the “doodads” (material objects) that money can buy without concern – what would you buy?

Nice boat, Mercedes, Kick Butt wardrobe, nice set of golf clubs and a totally awesome home theatre big enough to seat all my friends with my own popcorn machine.....oh and my own winery.

* Travel the world as often as your heart desires – where would you go and for how long?

I have travelled western europe so... I would go around australia nice and slowly and get to know my own coutry like the back of my hand. Then I would go on a cruise around the world, stopping off at as many tropical islands as possible :)

And lastly, once all of this is done; you have bought all the material things, travelled the world over, slept in day after day, and sat around bored silly – WHAT THEN???

Develop my book series more, and become a world renowned author and historian.

<KS>

Monopoly said:
Well I get up prety late most days anyway, so it wouldn't make a difference.

Spend as much or as little time doing whatever you like – what would you do?
I'd like to write a book or travel article without an editor breathing down my neck. Other than that, eat, sleep, and play :D

Buy all the “doodads” (material objects) that money can buy without concern – what would you buy?
The Predator!
http://yachtbroker.escapeartist.com/boats/action/viewImage/image/1538/boat/123/index.html
http://yachtbroker.escapeartist.com/boats/action/viewImage/image/1539/boat/123/index.html
http://yachtbroker.escapeartist.com/boats/action/viewImage/image/1540/boat/123/index.html

Travel the world as often as your heart desires – where would you go and for how long?
Ski in Antartica, dive into a volcano in a helicopter, and go to Mars (I figure by the time I retire they've probably set up a colony there or something).

Probably never get to this stage. At the very end, I'll probably learn programming and design a virtual reality world...

Have kids and need to get them off to school, so a 6.30am start is a good sleep in. Also too much sleep is slothful. I like staying up late but will always get the wife getting the kids to wake me up in the morning to my digust.

Having taken all the time interested in property to get here, why not continue? Play golf, go to the gym, spend afternoons drinking in the local watering hole in the warm sunshine with my wife.

* Buy all the “doodads” (material objects) that money can buy without concern – what would you buy?

Dream home on the beach with broad balconies. His and hers beamers with some sort of poncy matching rego's, the biggest mother f*$%er LCD/Plasma screen and invite friends over for a movie night. 50' Bertram with twin jetskis outback and the list would be endless.........

* Travel the world as often as your heart desires – where would you go and for how long?

Depends how long the Bertam would take? With all the world problems. Good old Oz is just dandy thanks.

Do it all again. People seem to do it day in and out in a JOB why not without one? I have stated to firends and rellies that I WILL be retiring at 45. Have even said that there will be the mother of all parties (such as flying all up to Broome and spending the week relaxing roung the pools).

Oops nearly forgot.....there is ONE condition:[/B] that you are older than 18 but younger than 60 hence, spending time with friends can be difficult because unlike you, THEY still have to work.

Friends don't understand now and can't relate. No change in retirement.

Later............

Monopoly said:
You have achieved a level of passive income to enable you to stop working and finally:

Look forward to your views!!! ;)

Cheers,

Jo

Oops nearly forgot.....there is ONE condition: that you are older than 18 but younger than 60 hence, spending time with friends can be difficult because unlike you, THEY still have to work. :(

Im not a morning person - if I dont have to beat the crowds to the snow probably a bit later.

Spend as much or as little time doing what you want, what would you do?

Id do what I do now - maybe bump the 75-100days I snowboard a year up a bit - Id fit in some more heli riding...

The rest of the year - I dunno probably move towards academia, a research position, policy advisor etc

Shopping list?

If I had enough money to buy the world I would...

Travel?

Ive got a book "Ski Resorts of the World" Im working my way through it...

What then?

Ski bums dont work - always people to hang out with... when its not winter somewhere there is always glaciers =)

Snowboarding is a soul sport to me - my only problem is what to do when my body cant keep up... until then I can ride

With two young kids, THEY dictate this, not I! But being a night-owl, the question should probably be "What time would you go to bed?" Answer: As late as I wanted to!

Work on my "101 things to do before I die" list (as per Ted Leonsis). Included would be such things as: study towards a pilots licence; see at least one NFL game, ditto NBA game, ditto NHL game; travel to every continent on this great planet (including Antarctica); take up golf (and play at all the great courses around the world); spend more quality time with the kids; etc; etc

A range of cars (a la Rene Rivkin - for investment purposes of course), a cruiser (boat), a Harley Fatboy (bike), a plane (to fly with my pilot's licence), all the usual electronic gadgets (better still invest in an electronics business so it's all tax-deductable, hehe), nice Italian Villa by the coast (probably northern NSW) as well as residences in other countries (holiday houses), etc, etc

Pick a new language to learn and then travel at least once a year to a different continent to put it into practice (just what is the native tongue of Antarcticans??) and try to take the kids as often as possible (perhaps with a travelling tutor).

As I'm doing all the above, live with the credo of 'making the World a better place'. If you live life to the fullest, there shouldn't ever come a day that you've done it all and are bored silly.

Oops nearly forgot.....there is ONE condition: that you are older than 18 but younger than 60 hence, spending time with friends can be difficult because unlike you, THEY still have to work. :([/QUOTE]

If you choose your associates wisely, then you can do all the above in their company too - share the experiences! :cool:

Having been there and done that for a bit...

When the kids need to get ready for school. Or 9am - whichever comes first. I stay up past midnight most nights already.

Travel, mentor people in investing, build companies, play PC games (and make some too).

Not much - I don't particularly go for doodads.... Don't want the car, yacht, cinema TV or big house (got one large enough). Maybe a faster PC.....but only if I can justify it as a business expense! :)

Everywhere.....for years. A nomadic existence :)

Start more companies, mentor more people, travel to new worlds (I have tickets reserved already)!

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Wake Up time - mmm based on recent studies that those that sleep 8hrs die earlier than those that sleep 7 hours. As long as I get 7 I am great- however it is all based on when I go to sleep - ,8am would be a luxury

What would I Do - I love helping people be it investing or whatever. Having volunteered in Nursing Homes and with youth I really enjoyed both, I would love to be that lady that people whisper when you pass 'you know she has a multimillion dollar empire she doesnot need to be here but she is' OK enough of the self satisfying stuff. I would establish a financial management module for school kids, get fit fit fit, travel (less because I have to more because I want to), have kids - gather family and friends all exp paid to a location every year. Oh yeah buy a property to actual live in.

Doodads - not really into this, maybe a fm radio that can play in lifts that really upsets me, a comfortable pair of shoes, a cook who makes sure we eat wonderfully but without an extra kg being added.

Travel - All I really want to do is sit in Barcelona and ponder Gaudi's unfinished cathedral, then spend 3 mths a year in a sandstone house next to a babbling brook in Tassy, 6 mths in Port Douglas in a beachfronted home, 1 mth skiing in NZ and 2 months attending courses at old league international universities studying psych, history, photography, success, motivation, nlp, what makes companies / civilisations great, art, drama, opera appreciation ( need to work hard on this one)

Then when bored - I will pretend I am one of those ' i had it all and then lost it' and start again on the adventure, this time with others being the beneficiaries, my kids or mentorees :p

Hit the pillow by midnight, up at 7.30... Seven and a half hours is plenty of sleep, i'll catch up on the rest when i'm dead... :)

7.30 to 9am - Take the dog for a walk then have a leisurely shower followed by a nice healthy hearty breakfast...

9.30 - 11am - Hit the gym. I'm probably 10kgs more than i'd like to be so some cardio work and weights to tone up again. I'd like to go at least 3 times a week... maybe play golf the other 2 days ??

11am - 3pm - Work of some sort. I'd probably have a business or two and i'd like to call in to see how things are doing every day or two. Squeeze in a nice lunch with friends or girlfriend once or twice a week too...

4pm to 5pm - Swim everyday. Best exercise, and soooo relaxing. I'd love to do it more but struggle to hit the pool once a week at the moment !!

Evening - Watch the news and current affairs programs etc. Dinner and relaxing for a few hours. Turn the computer on around 10-ish and surf the Net for a couple of hours before a quick shower and bed... Damn, sounds like a good life, wish i could do it sooner !! :D

* PPOR - Nice but nothing crazy - Just a nice house about 40sq in a decent suburb (not far from where i grew up) with City views of Sydney from the back verandah. It would have to have a huge garage though - 6 car size would do !! Inground pool and spa would be a given...
* Holiday house - a nice unit at Broadbeach or Noosa. Either would do - for those weekends when you just "have" to get away from Sydney...
* Cars - a new HSV and a 4WD. No Mercs or BMW's as yet, i'm too young !! A nice BMW M3 in a few years would be good though... :D
* Race car - i race now, i'd keep at it but improve my car even further.
* Boat(s) - replace my current boat with a nice permanently 38' cruiser for fishing with mates, and a nice new ski boat for weekends away.

Maybe have a quick trip through Europe and see where my father was born (Malta) - But really, i love Australia and would do most of my travelling here...

I'd never get bored. Stay active, enjoy the outdoors, play golf, go fishing and camping, stay in nice hotels all over Australia - how could you ever get bored ?? I'd also spend as much time as possible with family and friends. Keeping an eye on business interests etc would also keep the mind active.

Just writing this response has helped me sharpen my focus, thanks Jo !! :p

Cheers,
Paul...

Sleep in every day till whatever time suits you – what time would you get up?
For the first 4-5 months I’d probably sleep in till about 9, after that I’d start to question how lazy I’d become.

Spend as much or as little time doing whatever you like – what would you do?
I would spend as much time trying to improve what I already have. I wouldn’t stop learning and working on my own portfolio.

Buy all the “doodads” (material objects) that money can buy without concern – what would you buy?
A beautiful 959 GT2 Porsche and a wonderful penthouse on both the Gold Coast (Broadbeach, Miami) and Sunshine Coast (Marcoola, Coolum, Noosa).

Travel the world as often as your heart desires – where would you go and for how long?
Travel to America, England and Scotland in one trip, taking in 2 months.

Oh yeh, I forgot to mention what I’d really cherish and enjoy – the ability to spend as much time with my wife and kids, even though I don’t have either (yet).

Hmmmm, back to reality….time to install some downlights…. :(

Ps…thanks for letting me dream Monopoly.

one of the things i'd like to do is travel, but with a twist.
a mate of mine is still in the navy and is currently serving on a warship.
(i resigned 2 years ago)
he has told me over and over that i cant do it. theres no way i'm ever going to be rich etc.

That's even more determination to do it.

So, what happens if you dont need to pretend having to think to do all those questions that you asked :confused:

you do what you want to do,whenever it suits you?
Go where you want to go at anytime?
eat what you want to eat,anytime,anywhere?
With all the cash that you have,and properties that you owned..what then?

:) Z

What then?

You could post a detailed 'HOW YOU DID IT' for fellow forum members.

Nothing like reading a good inspiring post. :)

Back