Liberal Federal Govt

What a great night for the country.

Cliffhanger for sure, but we will get over the line, with the assistance of the independents. Wouldn't be surprised to see Tony Windsor appointed as the Speaker of the House.

Kicked the lefties to left field. It'll be a long road to haul to repair the damage, but they'll get there. Mop up that wasteful debt and square the books away for a second time. Most won't appreciate it of course, cos most are into feelings, not management.

Nice to have a PM who's married with kids.

Great night for Australia. I'm as stoked as Our Obsession is for everything else.

Repair what damage? Are we not the only Western Country that didn't enter a recession thanks to Labor?

No RedCat, you still don't get it. We were is a very strong position before the GFC. We has a surplus and no government debt. The US already had 10 trillion in debt, the UK was also massively in debt, and so were a lot of European countries. A strong China, and a strong starting position is what kept Australia out of recession.

Look at it this was. Say your a family, and when Labor got into government, you hasd $20000 ($20b) sitting in your bank account for a rainy day. You get sick, no work, etc. Now after 3yrs, Labor have cleared out the savings bank account, and gotten credit cards, and maxed all of them out. This is the position Labor has placed Australia in. When we go into the double dip recession, it will hit Australia harder than it otherwise might have, because Labor has maxed out the credit cards, and left nothing in the account for the rainy day.

Yes, the Libs did very well in getting us in a great financial position.... by selling off everything.

I'm all for the Libs getting in from time to time (though I would never vote for them personally) cause they ARE good at economics. But I care about OTHER issues too and Labor need to get in to SPEND money from time to time.

Dazz - I'm all for a PM who is not married, has no kids and is an atheist.

Liberal gave their preferences to the Greens in Melbourne to ensure Labor would lose their seat. Pathetic play.

Repair what damage? Are we not the only Western Country that didn't enter a recession thanks to Labor?

Do you know what % of the great stimulus was spent by March 2009, when world gdp kicked up dramatically?

Do you realize the stimulus was like a credit card spending binge, and we exchanged critical infrastructure expenditure for at least 5 years, for BER, FHB bonus, plasmas, and insulation? We still have that credit card debt to pay off.

IMHO, Australia didn't enter a recession because our major trading partners stimulated. That helped our exports and we also used a govt guarantee to borrow a hell of a lot of the dollars foreigners printed.

The loudest supporter of Labor's stimulus is Treasury.....but what would you expect considering they designed it.

Coming off the diabetic high

................Do you realize the stimulus was like a credit card spending binge, and we exchanged critical infrastructure expenditure for at least 5 years, for BER, FHB bonus, plasmas, and insulation? We still have that credit card debt to pay off.

Did not harm the ascent of JB Hi Fi that's for sure ;)
More fool me, I didn't pick up stock as the sugar rush kicked in

................The loudest supporter of Labor's stimulus is Treasury.....but what would you expect considering they designed it.

Let's hope the sugar rush did not create a diabetic economy. :(

Attachments

• jbh.png
    jbh.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 120
But I care about OTHER issues too and Labor need to get in to SPEND money from time to time.

RedCat, like your personal credit card whick you pay interest on, the government will not be paying $4-5B interest per year alone of the debt. That's $4-5B/yr alone that can't go to services, even before you actually start paying off the debt.

And for your information, Labor sold off Commbank before, and is also flogging off all sorts of things at State level to cover their debt.

Now imagine if we were still only margainally in debt now (not the $90B by 2012). Imagine instead of paying off the debt again until 2020, we could actually have the money again in the bank account to invest in Australia.

And the debt is like a credit card. $900 handouts, pink batts, do nothing to improve the country over the long term. It's not like your home loan, which is good debt. Very little of the money was actually spend to long term initiatives. Even the $42B NBN is going to be a waste of money, when companies are already trialing 50-100mbs wireless. Get with the times. Cable internet is LIKE SO 1900's!! ;-))

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/219979,optus-hits-50-mbps-on-sydney-lte-network.aspx
Optus has reported the results from phase one of its Long Term Evolution (LTE) network field trial in Sydney's north, claiming download speeds hit in excess of 50 Mbps.

Last edited:
Regardless of the colour of the political party a hung parliament will be a painful experience. Too many sweet deals to be done.

We haven't found that over here in WA.

We also had a hung parliament after the last state election, and the chaps with the balance of power were dancing around for a week or two touting both Labor and Libs, but eventually fell back to grass roots and did a sensible deal.

Sure, they extract their pound of flesh, but being country representatives, the country folk get a bit of dosh thrown their way for a change....not a bad thing IMO.

My prediction is ;

LNP..............73 seats
Labor............72 seats
Independents...4 seats
Greens............1 seat

I reckon the group of 3 original indies will gather together and support the LNP. They'll extract huge pounds of flesh for the country, but that'll give them 76 and Govt.

I reckon they'll appoint Tony Windsor as Speaker, leaving 73 LNP plus two aligned Indys as the ruling voting bloc.

The Tassie Indy will either be forced to join them as a foursome, or be left out in the cold as irrelevant. He won't do that. By that token, he won't be able to extract not nearly as much as the other 3 for his voters.

The Green MP if sidling with Labor will now be out in the cold and irrelevant. He won't do that, but with enough numbers to govern, poor ol' Adam won't have any bargaining chips to play with. Melbourne folk will be shafted. He only got in due to LNP preferences, so he'll owe them something, not the other way around.

Labor folk will lick their wounds and wonder what the hell just happened.

Green folk will dance around saying how well they did, but 1 out of 150 seats isn't that spectacular, especially when it's not needed to form Govt.

Don't know what happened in the Senate. I suggest the LNP rush through Bills whilst they control the Senate. I know the Greens take over soon, but don't know when - anyone know ??

I thought the most intelligent comment last night was from Stephen Smith, the local Labor member for the seat of Perth, who impresses the hell out of me. He said ;

"In years past, it used to be there was 40% rusted on Labor, and 40% rusted on conservatives, and the election was about convincing the swinging 20%. Nowadays, it looks like there is 30% rusted on Labor, 30% rusted on conservatives, and the election was about convincing the swinging 40%, a much harder task."

True enough for the primary vote I suppose, but with the preference deals done, most of that swinging vote is going to the Greens and the vast majority of that, not all, flows back to Labor anyway.

It was pleasing for a change not to have a result before our WA polling stations closed.

Don't know what happened in the Senate. I suggest the LNP rush through Bills whilst they control the Senate. I know the Greens take over soon, but don't know when - anyone know ??

I agree with your prediction of the minority government setup Dazz. Liberals with the 3 Independents. And if the Liberal minority gets up, don't be surprised if the Liberals also get the Greens on side, with the Melbourne Green MP becoming Minister for the Environment. Interesting!.
The new senate takes effects in about June/July 2011, so they'll have maybe 10mths to get changes through before then.
I don't actually think this minority government will be a bad thing. I think the 3 Independents are quite experienced and reasonable, and will fight for things that help Australia as well.
I am hoping, that the Greens, with control of the senate, and some power, will take on a similar role to what the Democrats at "keeping the *******s honest", then trying to push their own lefty agenda. I Hope. The Greens against Labor's internet filter, and for Abbott's paid maternity leave (tax 3000 bigger companies) to give women full pay leave, is kind of in their with the Green philosophy. So maybe the Greens in senate power will see their opportunity to be a strong 3rd force in future elections, and be reasonable.

Last edited:
Fortunately for me, if you can't figure out why a happily married man with kids prefers to see the Prime Minister being a happily married man with kids.....well, I guess you'll never get it.

Enough of mushy feelings....back to solid Govt policy. :)

i still think its too early to call.. so I wouldn't count your chickens..

It sounds like the 3 independents have some gripes with the nationals. I think the LNP have also been more critical of the independents, so they may find that works against them. They may find they get a better deal aligning with Labor, and I think at least 2 of them have indicated that they like Labors broadband policy better, which is one of the few main differences btw the 2 sides.
i think broadband is one of those policies which doesn't mean alot for us city slickers. But I was surprised to hear on ABC radio over the past few weeks how important it was felt to be in the regions.
So, it will be an interesting few days ahead.
Pen

Looks like the Libs are going to set two records for the house of reps if they claim govt:

- the youngest - Wyatt Roy
- the first aboriginal - Ken Wyatt

Interesting coincidence they both have Wyatt in their name.

Looks like the Libs are going to set two records for the house of reps if they claim govt:

- the youngest - Wyatt Roy
- the first aboriginal - Ken Wyatt

Interesting coincidence they both have Wyatt in their name.

The young 20 year old was oustanding last night when interviewed. Yesterday was also his first federal voting experience.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2010/08/22/2990060.htm

I certainly didn't have such lofty ambitions of community and serving at that age. His style and charisma and communication skill was truly remarkable to see.............good for him. His parents must be proud. :)

It sounds like the 3 independents have some gripes with the nationals. I think the LNP have also been more critical of the independents, so they may find that works against them. They may find they get a better deal aligning with Labor, and I think at least 2 of them have indicated that they like Labors broadband policy better, which is one of the few main differences btw the 2 sides.
i think broadband is one of those policies which doesn't mean alot for us city slickers. But I was surprised to hear on ABC radio over the past few weeks how important it was felt to be in the regions.
So, it will be an interesting few days ahead.

Yep, they have some gripes, otherwise they wouldn't have been independant. But as small or massive as the gripes might be, they would never support labor in the major economic issues. Tony Windsors gripe is that 20 years ago when he was the peoples popular nationals representative, he was ousted as the regions candidate by some old toffy landed gentry, born with a silver spoon in their mouths, who decided he was not a good enough 'yes' man. So he stood as an independant and won easily and taught the nationals a lesson that they have regretted ever since.

I'm in 'New England'. I know Tony Windsor personally, He's a farmer who's just sold out to the coal mines, I have had numerous beers with him, and see him often on Saturdays at the rugby.

'New England' recorded 8% votes to labor, and 3% votes to the greens.

http://www.abc.net.au/elections/federal/2010/guide/neng.htm

Similar to the 2007 election. Between Windsor and the nationals, they recorded 87% of the votes. If Tony Windsor sided with the greens or labor for any serious issue, like who will be prime minister, he would get strung up from a tree. I'd imagine it would be the same for the other former national independants.

Don't get your hopes up that these blokes will support labor. Labor has never done anything for the bush. Labor and the greens are city based political parties.

See ya's.

Last edited:
Back