Liberals - policies may cause a recession??

Well...we maybe getting closer.....5000 Qantas jobs...

Not an aviation expert by any means, but was loosely listening to the argy-bargy in Question Time today.

Apparently the job losses, resultant of the $ 270 million loss announced earlier today, had a lot to do with the $ 165 million carbon tax bill Qantas is liable for.

Bill Shorten stood up and asked "what practical things are the Govt doing to help save Qantas jobs ?"

The Prime Minister stood up and answered "There is a very real thing this Parliament can do, and that is for the Opposition Leader to instruct his Labor Senators to pass the legislation to repeal the Carbon Tax."

Bill was, as usual, turning around not even listening to the answer, and summarily got one of the troops to ask a series of questions along the lines of "what are you going to do ??"....without acknowledging what they could actually do right now to help not only Qantas, but every business, small and large throughout the country.

Why don't they ask real questions and why don't they listen to answers ??

Because their overall philosophies are totally different....and never the twain shall meet..

The Libs like to create the environment for business' to thrive on their own....and in general, but not every time, won't assist one business over others.

The Labs just throw cash at it (that they don't have) at whoever squeaks the loudest. Who eventually pays is not their problem.

It looks to me as though the Qantas troubles are many and varied, not just one isolated thing. I was surprised to hear Qantas was sitting on a $ 3.1 billion pile of cash, now down to about $ 2.4 billion and change.

I can see why Buffett won't touch airlines with your barge pole.

Well...indirectly they have...quietly have not replaced staff in govt departments...contractors are gone. No new spending...those are cuts already. Department heads are not silly they have been given directives by the new ministers.
Oh yeah, I remember that was an election promise (or was that a threat?)

"The Federal Government is reviewing how it can deliver its promise to axe 12,000 federal public service jobs."

The funny thing is that Labor already planned to axe 14,500 jobs through natural attrition but kept it secret in the lead up to the election. Oops!

"Nobody knew before the election that Labor's cuts were based on an expectation that 14,500 jobs would go through redundancy,"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-19/government-puts-public-service-cuts-on-hold/5101178

So, the coalition was openly planning to axe 12,000 jobs vs Labor's secret plan to axe 14,500 jobs.

It looks to me as though the Qantas troubles are many and varied, not just one isolated thing. I was surprised to hear Qantas was sitting on a $ 3.1 billion pile of cash, now down to about $ 2.4 billion and change.

And to think they have lost that kind of money WITHOUT paying a dividend for a number of years. It is truly shocking.

OK Jesse... with your diatribe.....I think the smartest thing is for fund managers to turf the board and the little "Irishman" they have done enough damage. I am not a fan of govt handouts but the timing is very bad.

Having said that I think a shallow recession willsort the men from the boys...the girls from women! :rolleyes:

Not an aviation expert by any means, but was loosely listening to the argy-bargy in Question Time today.

Apparently the job losses, resultant of the $ 270 million loss announced earlier today, had a lot to do with the $ 165 million carbon tax bill Qantas is liable for.

Bill Shorten stood up and asked "what practical things are the Govt doing to help save Qantas jobs ?"

The Prime Minister stood up and answered "There is a very real thing this Parliament can do, and that is for the Opposition Leader to instruct his Labor Senators to pass the legislation to repeal the Carbon Tax."

Bill was, as usual, turning around not even listening to the answer, and summarily got one of the troops to ask a series of questions along the lines of "what are you going to do ??"....without acknowledging what they could actually do right now to help not only Qantas, but every business, small and large throughout the country.

Why don't they ask real questions and why don't they listen to answers ??

Because their overall philosophies are totally different....and never the twain shall meet..

The Libs like to create the environment for business' to thrive on their own....and in general, but not every time, won't assist one business over others.

The Labs just throw cash at it (that they don't have) at whoever squeaks the loudest. Who eventually pays is not their problem.

But doing so won't improve Qantas's competitive advantage versus Virgin and Rex. And given the current deficit, whilst the Carbon Tax may be abolished, it will replaced by something else so it might end up being cheaper flights but fewer people flying.

But doing so won't improve Qantas's competitive advantage versus Virgin and Rex. And given the current deficit, whilst the Carbon Tax may be abolished, it will replaced by something else so it might end up being cheaper flights but fewer people flying.

Air NZ is operating under a carbon price of only around $3.50/tonne, so it may improve competitiveness in some respects. The Carbon tax has probably affected profitability (not sure how much of it has been passed on to consumers like it was intended, given the ridiculous capacity wars going on).

QANTAS's expansion plans have cost horrendous amounts of money and are copping huge losses so far. One has to question whether management made the right decision trying to expand into Asia and NZ and compete against airlines with a fraction of the cost base of QANTAS.

Either way, I'm glad I'm not a shareholder, I can't imagine why folks would buy airline shares given almost everyone is running at a loss or generating very slender returns on equity.

Last edited:
Cimbom,

Public transport infrastructure in Australia is approaching third world standards. Pretty much every European country, a huge proportion of Asia and almost every major city in North America has better public transport than anywhere in Australia. At this rate, we'll soon be taken over by African countries as well.

Are you serious?

You are not aware of the billions being thrown at public transport right now in Melbourne, Adelaide and Sydney?

All takes time to build though, and even then it still wont keep up with the demands placed on it by our current immigration policies which are pushing our infrastructure to its limits.

ciao

Nor

Back