Life is more than about money

Well - some can live in their falling apart rental houses, smoking pot and boozing on their x-box all day.

Personally I want to view the northern lights - walk on Antarctica - sit in a caf? in France for a year - haggle at the eastern Europe markets - ramble through Italy - and catch flies in my mouth in ancient Egypt. I want to experience life.

All this takes money if you don't want to youth hostel it.

If - on the other hand - all I wanted to do was slob around and wait for death - then I'd drink cheap wine, sleep all day and watch junk tv

The problem is though guys that the people described in the OP are not living within their means. They are getting money from Centrelink. I absolutely believe in the social contract, and I support social welfare for people who truly need it, but there is a whole underclass of people for whom welfare becomes a way of life.

The guy in the story is obviously capable of working, just does it to the bare minimum he can get away with , and claims unemployment benefit. The Mum is presumably capable as well, or would be if she wasn't off her head most of the time.

I am just throwing into the ring a situation that while on paper and to the outside world, her parents should be happy, they are miserable.

Inner city life, grown up daughters, Dad in a stable job,large savings etc.

Same with OP though. Yeah, they fly by the seat of their pants and seem happy, but if you were a fly on the wall I am sure it would be a different story 99% of the time.

Yes, its no life.
I also have family in similar scenario, it creates relationship problems, stress, health issues etc. etc.

I think if people are happy with their lot in life and comfortable meeting their commitments, then who am I to say they must be "unhappy" and they should/need to follow my path, what makes me so right?? All to their own, different strokes for different folks.

I also know people who are focused on building massive property portfolio and always stressed and not happy today, because they are too focused on the future, not smelling the roses.

I think if people are happy with their lot in life and comfortable meeting their commitments, then who am I to say they must be "unhappy" and they should/need to follow my path, what makes me so right?? All to their own, different strokes for different folks.

Definitely agree with that.

The guy in the story is obviously capable of working, just does it to the bare minimum he can get away with , and claims unemployment benefit. The Mum is presumably capable as well, or would be if she wasn't off her head most of the time.

Thats why I was flabbergasted when they'd not come in for work for lame reasons, often they were hung over, a few times wanted to go home early to errands (whatever they might be) or play with their tropical fish.

even if I had no motivation in life, id be looking for as much work as possible, but maybe centrelink pays them enough

edit: how much does centrelink pay these days anyway??

They are not happy; they are resigned. People who do drugs are not happy. They know that there is a better life, but wouldn't know how to start getting there, either because noone every taught them or they think they don't deserve it. They don't know any better and have accepted their lot in life. The mother probably was neglected as a child and that is how she raised her son.

Their way of life is all they know. These people are long term unemployed. They regard the welfare state as the mother and think that it will keep giving to them. It's a mindset. Whilst I don't like paying taxes for these people to stay at home and smoke dope, do we not give them some welfare and see them out on the streets? I think this is a perfect example of where there should be a work for the dole scheme.

BS pg,imo there happy in there world.

TMNT,i can't see him changing with the mother with the same substance abuse.

I have been in a similiar situ,with demographics etc...10yrs + ago and i was on the H,metha done and doctor shopped for 22yrs.

I learnt some new skills along the way and i appreciate freedom!

No regrets on my part and yes i was happy :D and still am!

It took a stabbing 2yrs prior to give me a wake up call and enough of the shitty lifestyle.

I've lost some good mates along the way that had a heart of gold despite there addiction.

JUST 1 Eg:i had a mate who ended up chopped up in a barrell,great guy and he would die for me.His ending was robbing drug dealers.He was found near willmot in the bush.

Anyhow,your mate i hope will see the tunnel...The mother doesn't help at all.

Saying people who do drugs are not happy is as silly as saying people who drink alcohol are not happy.

And that pretty much every advertisement for alcohol that ever existed has been bulldust (but somehow apparently still works).

I have been in a similiar situ,with demographics etc...10yrs + ago and i was on the H,metha done and doctor shopped for 22yrs.

It took a stabbing 2yrs prior to give me a wake up call and enough of the shitty lifestyle.

I've lost some good mates along the way that had a heart of gold despite there addiction.

JUST 1 Eg:i had a mate who ended up chopped up in a barrell,great guy and he would die for me.His ending was robbing drug dealers.He was found near willmot in the bush.

It's sad to hear about your story Spades and your friend
Now, based on the above, would you say your happiness at that time was temporary?

To me, the definition of been in a state of "Happiness" should be more focus on been long term, rather than been a temporary state of emotion? Would you agree
I mean, if you were that happy doing what you were doing, then what made you change? Clearly, you were not all that happy after all, and hence the change

So to conclude; yes drugs can make you happy temporarily, only

wow, spades, didnt know you went thjroguh that much stuff, congrats for getting yourself out of it,
im not sure if Id be able to pull myslef out of that one

Now, based on the above, would you say your happiness at that time was temporary?

To me, the definition of been in a state of "Happiness" should be more focus on been long term, rather than been a temporary state of emotion? Would you agree
I mean, if you were that happy doing what you were doing, then what made you change? Clearly, you were not all that happy after all, and hence the change

I use my dog as an example of being totally unaware but happy

I will take him for a walk down the same route for years on end, same route every day, he doesnt want to go left where we go right, there is another world to explore if he goes left,

but he doesnt know whats out there, nor is he intelligent enough to think of the possibilites

its the same as financial freedom, and overseas travel, if you dont know it exists or its an un-real exitstance, then you dont know what you are missing out on

Thanks an amazing story and inspiring, wonderful.:)
Now I have a question, but if you are an addict, how do you move on, its not like you can switch a button off ???

I will take him for a walk down the same route for years on end, same route every day, he doesnt want to go left where we go right, there is another world to explore if he goes left,

but he doesnt know whats out there, nor is he intelligent enough to think of the possibilites

its the same as financial freedom, and overseas travel, if you dont know it exists or its an un-real exitstance, then you dont know what you are missing out on

This would be a separate topic of "happiness" based on known vs unknown

But afterall, it is financial freedom that would offer you these options, whether or not you have the mental intelligence to take these options would be entirely up to you, or "your dog" in this case

My FIL classic statement, "no money, no talk" lol

This would be a separate topic of "happiness" based on known vs unknown

But afterall, it is financial freedom that would offer you these options, whether or not you have the mental intelligence to take these options would be entirely up to you, or "your dog" in this case

My FIL classic statement, "no money, no talk" lol

sort of, these people like the tradie, they dont really know of anyone financially free, or can relate to it is my guess, so thats why they stay in the same cycle and think its a normal life and possibly are quite happy with it,

if all their freinds suddenly became financially successfull or free, im sure their happiness levels would surely decrease

PS spades, do tell us if you dont mind on how you got yourself out of a H-methadone addiction, im sure its inspiring

No regrets myself,i feel sorry for my friend

Self medicating in hindsight but all the same happy up to a point

Your right,i realized i wasn't happy 2yrs prior after being stabbed...It was a gradual turn around

I agree.

Good analogy TMNT!

Now I have a question, but if you are an addict, how do you move on, its not like you can switch a button off ???

It's up to the individual,you can't tell an addict to stop.

I jumped off 40mg's of metha done after reducing tab intake ie:rohypnol amongst other sedatives.

G.o0gle 40mg's and see the equation.

Determination and a flood of endorphins which were blocked,helped the process as well as my dearly departed mother.

PS spades, do tell us if you dont mind on how you got yourself out of a H-methadone addiction, im sure its inspiring

TMNT,i think i've given TMI as is.

Absolutely and I thank you for sharing that's BIG, and now investing in property:p

We have good friends whose daughter is addicted to meth, just one big roller coaster ride, hanging around with bikies, continually getting pregnant, anyway wont bore everyone, just too sad.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Please see image...

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 49
We all have different aspirations in life. Some, it would seem to be "Drifters", whilst others are "Go Getters".
From my experience Winners usually associate with Winners.
I think that is what this Site is all about.

I also know people who are focused on building massive property portfolio and always stressed and not happy today, because they are too focused on the future, not smelling the roses.

Yes, that was me at the start of seeing the light (Jan's Somers Book). Wanted to be the biggest.
But I am lazy, sort of. And I dont like stress.

So we did what was comfortable for us but with a fair bit of risk at the start. That risk subsided when we realised that this is the way forward so took on a bit more.

Now, things have changed since turning 50 and a few mates/family menbers dying off.

It's a short life so make the best of it. Balance out the stress with de-stress.
Do some things you would love to do but never thought you could. Have a go.
Whats the worst can happen ?

Thats why I was flabbergasted when they'd not come in for work for lame reasons, often they were hung over, a few times wanted to go home early to errands (whatever they might be) or play with their tropical fish.

have you ever been stoned and be amazed by tropical fish?

It's the best!..................until you come down and you are hungry, sick and tired.

I think this is a perfect example of where there should be a work for the dole scheme.

Along with support to get off the drugs and booze and things will start to look up surely?

Work for the dole and do this other work for the likes of us and start to make headway out of the mire.

They are doing drugs and booze because they have nothing to motivate them towards being just a little bit successful and way more comfortable.

Trust me, and our spades, been there done that!

Back