Life is more than about money

BS pg,imo there happy in there world... I learnt some new skills along the way and i appreciate freedom!

It took a stabbing 2yrs prior to give me a wake up call and enough of the shitty lifestyle.

Spades, it's great you have pulled yourself out and have made a better life for yourself. But it's not BS. You have contradicted yourself. First, you insist they are happy. Then you say that you 'learnt some new skills along the way' and that you now 'appreciate freedom!'. So you say you were not 'free' when you were in the same position. Those people are not free. They may not know it or realise it.

Then you admit that you were 'self-medicating'. People who self-medicate, do it to escape from something..

Please don't think that I sit in judgement of these people. One of my best friends is a recovering alcoholic and has been to hell and back. I have another friend who is a functioning alcoholic, but she is as tough as nails so she will be okay. Another friend had her fiancee die of a drug overdose.

I made the statement that if people can work they should. I do not believe the government should cut benefits for the long-term unemployed (or the drug-addicted or single mothers) because they will just end up homeless.

There are plenty of happy people who use drugs. Saying people who do drugs are not happy is as silly as saying people who drink alcohol are not happy.

Maybe plenty of happy people do drugs, but drug addicts are not happy people--that is what I meant by 'do drugs'. And alcoholics are not happy people

My sister died just on the verge of retirement.:(
Reality check.

Now that is a worry.

Wow that's sad...Sure is a reality check and live each day to the fullest.

And I dont like stress.

Nor do i...Work at one stage had me so stressed out,i thought i was going to have a heart attack...I won't budge to overload and bosses know i will crack it,if pushed

It's a short life so make the best of it. Balance out the stress with de-stress.
Do some things you would love to do but never thought you could. Have a go.
Whats the worst can happen ?

Yup i agree

have you ever been stoned and be amazed by tropical fish?

It's the best!..................until you come down and you are hungry, sick and
tired.

LOL very funny

But it's not BS. You have contradicted yourself. First, you insist they are happy. Then you say that you 'learnt some new skills along the way' and that you now 'appreciate freedom!'. So you say you were not 'free' when you were in the same position.

Yeah it is BS and Nah i didn't contradict myself...Firstly the mother and son are happy in there world.

I learn't new skills in prison which btw helps me gain access to properties that others can't in my job role.

I appreciate freedom as i've been in prison.Getting out was better than any drug i've consumed.

Got it now pg?

yeah drug addicts maybe but i agree with fifth, plenty of casual drug users are perfectly fine.

In moderation and to know your limits...Rather be around a stoner than a drunk.

But drug addicts are not. And I bet that these two people are now drug addicts--the mother sounds like she is anyway.

Enlighten me on what a drug addict is?...Hemp is a soft drug compared to legal alcohol.

Life is more than about money.

Very true. We traded money for freedom.

Lowering expectations and finding alternatives has allowed us to exist on less money, than most people deem reasonable. It just meant we could start our 'journey' faster. After all most of us don't know how long we will live (I'm planning on 104 years)

Slightly off topic but it sort of enhances the original poit
point

A distant relative of mine called us a few years ago crying her eyes out

Her husband had passed away at early 60s due to a heart attack, he was healthy, fit, non drinker, non smoker a few weeks into retirement

He apparently had a dream a few weeks prior that he was going to die shortly, which he didn't tell his family, and proceeded to get/increase his life insurance,

Wife only found out about th insurqnce as he was being wheeled into the operating theatre for the first and last time

Wife only found out about the insurance as he was being wheeled into the operating theatre for the first and last time

That's a good insurance story (though sad that your relative passed away).

Here's a bad one.

Former Financial Adviser - who had been acting a bit strangely but at the time no-one knew why - anyway, he cancels his $500k life insurance policy without telling his wife. Months later he is diagnosed with (one of the) Motor Nueron Diseases. Anyway, he later passes away.

No insurance.

His wife told me this months later (she became a client of mine). She never would have allowed him to cancel his insurance if she had known it was his intention (she was a nurse btw).

Just found out yesterday my colleague is taking the voluntary severance. She has worked in public service for around 25 years and is in her late 40's. Her husband gets a disability pension but also earns some money helping his friend who owns a business.

I asked her what will you do for an income. They also have a 14 year old. Will you have enough? She said once their mortgage was paid off that was there plan for her to retire. Originally she was going to wait till she was in her mid 50's. Is her redundancy package going to last her if she lives another 30 years. I guess it's good they don't have to pay for accommodation but I wonder if they have underestimated the amount of money they'll need.

That's a good insurance story (though sad that your relative passed away).

Here's a bad one.

Former Financial Adviser - who had been acting a bit strangely but at the time no-one knew why - anyway, he cancels his $500k life insurance policy without telling his wife. Months later he is diagnosed with (one of the) Motor Nueron Diseases. Anyway, he later passes away.

No insurance.

His wife told me this months later (she became a client of mine). She never would have allowed him to cancel his insurance if she had known it was his intention (she was a nurse btw).
Cancelling life insurance once you get past a certain age is very odd behaviour :(

Just found out yesterday my colleague is taking the voluntary severance. She has worked in public service for around 25 years and is in her late 40's. Her husband gets a disability pension but also earns some money helping his friend who owns a business.

I asked her what will you do for an income. They also have a 14 year old. Will you have enough? She said once their mortgage was paid off that was there plan for her to retire. Originally she was going to wait till she was in her mid 50's. Is her redundancy package going to last her if she lives another 30 years. I guess it's good they don't have to pay for accommodation but I wonder if they have underestimated the amount of money they'll need.
I think it's a very aussie thing, not worry about the future

Out of all the races and cultures I've been in contact with the Aussies seemed to be the most relaxed in this context
Maybe this is where "she'll be right mate" stereotype comes from

Not necessarily. Life insurance can get extraordinarily expensive in later life. We're talking five figure premiums for a relatively small amount of cover.

oh really? didnt know that, i thought it was a set figure as long as continuous and if you havent made a claim......actually, I must be a full retard today.....how can you make a previous claim on life insurance ;0

carry on

oh really? didnt know that, i thought it was a set figure as long as continuous and if you havent made a claim......actually, I must be a full retard today.....how can you make a previous claim on life insurance ;0

carry on

never go full retard!

Not necessarily. Life insurance can get extraordinarily expensive in later life. We're talking five figure premiums for a relatively small amount of cover.

Yes, I looked at this time ago, its very expensive , also have some concerns as I have heard that some of the policies are not good and easy for the Insurance companies to worm their way out of paying, have no idea whether this is correct??

How much is enough?? I think there are those that retire from their day jobs and then continue to work part-time to supplement income/

I expect most will be in this arena..... when you consider I think the average super people retire on is something like $300K, last time I looked at this??

Back