living with girlfriend

Unless she actually has no ovaries or uterus or something, you wouldn't believe the number of people who get told this by a doctor, don't use contraception, and promptly get pregnant.
I thought the same thing. Hear it all the time on Maury Povich DNA testing shows. ;)

Am very interested to hear the final verdict on this one.

In the meantime part of your DD on your partner should be to screen for partners who would take you to the cleaners.

mate, don't do it, i have seen too many friends get burnt and shafted big time,

ive seen friends who got a girl a visa into the country, 20 mins later is pregnant,

he bought a house as an investment for himself, charger her rent, and got taken for a ride, got sued, child support, because she was doing a cash job, and she had the balls to take him to court for CG during the time she rented.....

what are you going to do if, you move in with her for 1.9 years, and then realise there is nothing wrong but she probably isnt the one for you,

are you just going to dump her saying 2 years is almost up, and Im pretty sure some cunning lawyer can make an excuse and say, 2 years, 1.9 years , same thing..

certainly not worth the risk, and for all the people who are bagging men saying that they are calulcuating devils, I would love to see the reaction if it was the women with 5 IPS and hte man with nothing?

certainly not worth the risk, and for all the people who are bagging men saying that they are calulcuating devils, I would love to see the reaction if it was the women with 5 IPS and hte man with nothing?

I think most women on this forum would agree that ANYONE, male or female, needs to protect what they have worked so hard for. I think you are barking up the wrong tree with this comment, at least on this forum

This thread has got me wondering if you can actually get a legal document made up to say who is allowed to have what etc even after you have been married for 2 years? Let's say I have a girlfriend from overseas and she comes over here with nothing... We get married, live together and after 2 years she has citizenship and then could take half of everything I own from my understanding. Is there a way to change that so I could keep my assets and property that I had before we got married if the worst case scenario ever happened?

Really people - are you all so bitter and jaded???

I beleive in protecting yourself, but sheessshh - live a little...

Unless you are fully supporting someone or have been together for a reasonable amount of time, the courts are unlikely to divvie up everything 50/50. In truth most matters (around 95%) are settled privately.

Now if you introduce children into the equation, of course the whole senario changes - but in my opinion it bloody well should. Contrary to what some people may believe, children are the responiblity of BOTH people. If you are adament you don't want kids, then you should take your own precautions to ensure this doesn't happen - don't rely on your partner to do this. But as time shows again and again, people do not need to be living together in order for children to be concieved.

P.Meister:

Actually, as a female, I give very careful consideration to whom I share bodily fluids, a roof and finances with.

I did quite a bit of due diligence on the guys that have been fortunate to share my life:)...pleased to say I am still very much happily with Mr OO...sharing/creating lots of stuff.

I honestly believe "some" folk do more diligence on buying cars and shoes than giving thought to the attributes on a partner. NOT to say that it will follow through, or stay together in the relationship..we are not fortune tellers.

I work at my relationship, honesty and integrity and core values are a priority with Mr OO, he as a person first, male second, also has those attributes.

I have nested very well.

Good luck with your choices and decisions JD.

Oooh, another infertility anecdote...Mr OO's cousin and his partner, (she, infertile one), told (and retold) for 2 decades they could not have children.

On cousin's 40th birthday, his partner gave birth their beautiful 4 kg boy.:)

Miracles do happen.

thanks for the help guys, im not concerned with the children comment, we still use protection etc.

i just want to know if she could take me for half if we broke up

no i wouldnt break up if it got to 1.9 years or whatever some people are saying

i would just like to know where i stand

thanks for the comments

I only just realised you're asking this on the forum as you've heard a bunch of stories and aren't sure what is true and what isn't. Unfortunately all you'll really read here is the same stuff regurgitated (abliet a different variety) and probably a bit of wisdom thrown in.

At the end of the day, to get the final word (and be able to rest easy on the matter) you probably have to speak with a lawyer or other professional. Surely there is a free service somewhere.

If you do this it would be great if you could give back to the forum by posting their response.

At a guess I'd say that each situation is different and it's what 'a reasonable person' could argue. I've heard stuff like 'make sure to charge rent' but again it's all second/third/fourth? hand information.

I think the other thing for me is...talking issues over with the party concerned.

Mr OO and I had the fortunate circumstances to walk into our relationship with equal material possessions/footing.

IF I was heading into "another" relationship, there would be discussion with my-to-be-new partner about assets in the event we don't last as a partnership.

I would go into those discussions with diligence as properly acquired as possible, meaning I see no harm whatsoever to see legal guidance/information.

Doing forum thing is good and well, these guys have a plethora of life experiences and opinions and qualifications but ultimately, ULTIMATELY my choices and behaviour is my own responsibility.

Do Your Own Due Diligence. Thoroughly as possible.

1....2....3 or 5 years down the road for me, whatever happens in my new relationship, I don't blame:

1. Partner

1.3 Men/women-anything in between..

2.Blue winged fairies

3.Government

3.5. Some obscure forum and forumites...that may or may not know a little/lot about property

4.Legal system

Etc....it is my choice that I made and my due diligence. You share my bed, body fluids, house, finances etc I want to know about you, where I stand with you. Possible outcomes. So, I discuss it with you.

For both parties in a relationship: this maybe of some assistance or a stepping stone to finding answers for both of you:

http://www.fido.gov.au/fido/fido.ns...lies+and+relationship+breakdowns?openDocument

Debt problems can often arise when relationships break down. To reduce the financial impact of relationship breakdown on you, ensure that your ex-partner does not take savings and use available credit from, for example, joint bank accounts, home loan redraw facilities and credit card accounts.

Five steps you should take
Establish a new transaction account in your name only and ensure that your salary and other payments are diverted to the new account.
Close joint accounts. You may wish to use any funds remaining in a joint account to pay joint debts of the relationship, childrens expenses etc.
Tell your bank or lender about the relationship breakdown and demand, in writing, that it stop any further use of the loan redraw facility. This will be critical if the redraw facility allows either party to access the available credit without the other borrower's authorisation.
Cancel any right your ex-partner may have to access your credit card account as a secondary card-holder.
Arrange for copies of all joint account statements to be sent to you if you change address.

If the breakdown is permanent, you will generally need advice from a family law lawyer about dividing the property of your marriage or de facto relationship. For more about family law and property go to www.familylaw.gov.au (on the the Federal Government Attorney-General's website). Or ring the Family Relationship Advice Line on 1800 050 321.

Community legal centres and legal aid services provide free initial advice about family law matters. Centrelink also has helpful information for people recently separated or divorced (www.centrelink.gov.au); search under Individuals.

Huh? :confused: I've just re-read the posts but can find anyone that is guilty of this.

If anything, posters have been saying be careful of the female in this situation.

Here is a bit more, same site, further down:

http://www.fido.gov.au/fido/fido.nsf/byheadline/Changing+relationships?openDocument

Changing relationships

Looking after the people you love and care for will naturally be one of your highest priorities. Keeping your finances in good order can give you and those who depend you extra peace of mind and security. Let them know your plans, and make sure you have an up to date will.

Marriage and de facto relationships are covered by laws that protect the financial interests and well-being of each partner and of any children.

Joint accounts
Superannuation
Having children
Relationship breakdown
Relationship debt
Light-hearted quiz

Joint accounts

People open joint accounts for many reasons. Before you make this commitment, consider both the risks and the benefits and make sure you understand your rights and obligations.

Read more on joint accounts

Superannuation

Your super could be an important source of financial support for people who depend on you financially, especially if you die or become totally and permanently unable to work.

Financial support for peiople who depend on you
Check with your fund for details. Keep your fund up to date with your wishes about how you want your benefit distributed if you die.

You may also need extra insurance to cover you for death, disability or loss of income. Often, you can top up your insurance cover through your super fund at attractive rates, possibly without a medical questionnaire or examination. (If you change funds, check how this may affect your insurance.)

Married couples are entitled to direct their employers to make super contributions on behalf of their spouse. For example, someone might choose to have 5% of their super going to their spouse's account and keep the remaining 4% in their regular account. This has the potential to provide significant tax savings as the person paying the super can claim tax deductions for the amount they direct to their spouse. Read more about super splitting on the website of the Australian Taxation Office.

FIDO's tips on superannuation

Having children

Having children can be a joyful time, when you'll have plenty of things on your mind. Finding out more about the financial side of this turning point in your life can help you make smarter decisions and avoid expensive mistakes. FIDO has some useful information that might make the financial aspects of your transition into parenthood easier.

Read FIDO's financial tips when having children

Relationship breakdown

If your relationship breaks down, you may need legal advice, especially where children and division of property and other assets are involved. If you have children to support, you may be eligible for government assistance. Visit the Centrelink website.

Relationship debt

Take care with legal and financial documents you sign with your partner or other family members. If you're happy to share responsibility for a loan, a credit card or a business, that's fine. Just make sure you understand that you may also be making yourself responsible for the whole of a debt, not just your share.

Tips on relationship debt

Quick quiz for you and your partner

Have some fun with FIDO's light-hearted quiz to check your partner's, and your own, attitudes and behaviours to money.

...and another one, I'm just googling here:

http://www.pre-nuptialagreements.com.au/index.html

Welcome to Pre-Nuptial Agreements Australia: A Free Information Resource

Nobody plans to fail - but a lot of people fail to plan. Since we do not get married with a view to divorce, most Australians do not consider the benefits of a prenuptial agreement.

Australian couples can plan their future rights and responsibilities through a binding financial agreement. A financial agreement is a contract entered into between both parties either prior or subsequent to the wedding date that addresses a range of issues outlined in the Family Law Act 1975. Cohabitation agreements or de facto agreements are also recognised in some states that confirm the parties' non-financial and financial rights when the de facto relationship comes to an end.

You have good concerns and raise good points....I would suggest getting a Pre-Nup.....

Wife and I decided to get one prior to marriage.....yes, it destroys those thoughts we sometimes have of love and innocence....little bit dissapointing to be honest......but the thing is, if you breakup and it gets ugly, then you're definately breaking up with a person you didn't originally meet

things get nasty, people get emotional.....and they tend to do bad things

So try to protect yourself....

Btw, you could also turn this around and say that whatever your partner had before she met you, is hers only (I'm stating the obvious I know)....doesn't matter if your all peachy for the next 10 years, you have no right to it because it was aquired before you were in the picture.

my 2.5 cents...

My fiancee and I have talked about it now and again. We're realistic, we love each other but do realise life can change.

She's offered to sign a pre-nup for me but I don't feel the need. I don't think they're worth a lot, and once kids come in - forget it, judge can put the pre-nup aside and decide whatever he wants (correct me if I'm wrong the lawyers amongst us?). If the worst ever does happen, we're both sensible people and would want a quick finish to any asset discussions (she's seen it get ugly for her mum, and we're currently seeing it get ugly for my sister/BIL). Oh unless I cheat on her, then she's told me she'll take me to the cleaners. :D

Also to be fair, whilst I've accumulated a lot of assets before I met her, I've also accumulated a lot since we've been together. Her support has helped me get to the current stage, so I wouldn't begrudge giving her a portion of that anyway.

An extra solution to the problem is to accumulate an asset position large enough, that even 50% of it is a large sum. ;)

hi guys

i am currently building my first house and it will be my PPOR

im in a relationship which is fairly fresh, but when house is finished i think she might move in

are the rumours true that if she moves in, and lives there for 6 months she can take me for half?

the house is totally mine, 100% all mine, she wont contribute at all, just divide the household bills up etc.

i have herad she could take me for half if we broke up

then i heard, she can take me for half of what capital gains my property makes in the time she lives there

then i heard if i charge her rent or she dosnt get her mail sent there, so she dosnt officially live there, she cant try to get anything if we break up

i know this sounds harsh, im not in this relationship thinking its going to end, but it is fresh, and given my parents divorce i want to be sure of my financial position in case it happens

thanks guys

If she moves in; you are GONE.

After 12 months, the law sees you as a couple and she gets her "fair" share.

thanks guys

i think some of you may think i am older than i am

i am 23 and she is 21

we have no real assets besides our cars, and me with the house im building

i will contact a legal service to find out the truth and let you all know what they say

thanks for all your comments

An extra solution to the problem is to accumulate an asset position large enough, that even 50% of it is a large sum. ;)
Like Paul McCartney, who cares about 30 odd million although I would cringe if I had to give a cent to that. I guess you have to see it coming, even I could see that one, she just gave that vibe!

Btw, you could also turn this around and say that whatever your partner had before she met you, is hers only (I'm stating the obvious I know)....doesn't matter if your all peachy for the next 10 years, you have no right to it because it was aquired before you were in the picture.

I haven't had to do this, but, have also thought you could turn it around like this;

'I'm in 2 million of debt, and by signing this it ensures you are protected and they won't go after you for the money'

In asset protection there are three walls
- Insurance (not available in this option, well, unless you include 'being a good partner')
- Ownership structures
- Debt

If you are still in acquisition phase and are constantly leveraging up and up, buying more and almost always have a LVR of 80-90% then there would be nothing left if you sold up anyway after CGT, agents, etc.

Would they still 'go after' you? I don't know.

Back