looking for a job that fits property investing needs

im not imaging it all in my head. Your making assumptions by suggesting that. Ill admit im not a seasoned investor, but I have pulled off a buy/reno/reval successfully and have bought again straight away because of this. Yes It was hard work and there is risk involved but I would prefer to continue doing that full time (which would not be 8-5 mon-fri) than stay in a job.

all I was suggesting was that you cant compare 'the daily grind' to property investing full time. I associate 'the daily grind' with a repetitive mon-fri working week, living for the weekend TGIF etc etc. Of course this does not apply to people who love the career they are in, because then they would not really think of it as the daily grind.

I develop fulltime. It definately ain't a walk in the park. But i do agree with you to a point. With a 8-5 job you generally have responsibilities and not much freedom. With developing/investing etc even though you still have responsibilities, you do have a degree of freedom. For example, if a mate calls with a great offer to do something exciting for the day, well, I can. Goes for most self-employed people.

Cheers, Oscar

I don’t know the age of the OP, however I could not help but think the Y genners are very much into lifestyle before work, or so I am told. I don’t envy anyone, who is in a job that they don’t enjoy. To me, you should then be looking to move to a "job" that you do enjoy. I think the OP is correct, the income from your "day job" can assist enormously in assisting in building a property portfolio, so aiming for a well paid one is a good idea. I would think holding onto it, would be a no brainer. Perhaps even doing a good job and getting a pay rise ….. nah don’t think that was on his radar.
A concern I had was, won’t bankers get nervous if they see your time in each job being quite short? As an employer, to me that sort of works against people I think. That's a Baby Boomer comment, so I appreciate others may think different. Perhaps our finance guys/gals may wish to comment. I thought the OP knew that his opening and following comments were controversial, so I am surprised that he has taken his bat and ball, as there were some supporting comments. Anyway, I am sure people have heard the expression, opinions are like bums ...

Sad, if he had stayed, and told us where he found the big paying low work required job, we all could have applied …. :)

I don’t know the age of the OP, however I could not help but think the Y genners are very much into lifestyle before work, or so I am told.

So my colleagues keep telling me.

Being a GenY, I worked at an organisation where a lot of staff had a go at me for being 'typical gen y'.

In saying this at the time I was 23 managing a staff of 60, studying full time uni AND tafe, and running a volunteering group through the riverina. The guys saying this, were usually in their late 40's, worked FOR me and had a lot of 'annual leave' days off.

Half my mates make my lifestyle look layback, the other half still live at home trying to 'find themselves'. Just as was the case I imagine with every other generation where some tried and others didn't.

Yes I do put lifestyle before work, I don't believe we are on this earth to work till we die, doesn't mean GenY are unambitious and lack the will to make it happen. As for the GenY who do want it all for little effort, perhaps it's the generation who did the parenting who should take a hard look at themselves.

(Sorry, pet peeve).

I wouldnt stress too much nhg, this whole "all gen y's are lazy" brigade are usually but not always baby boomers who really shouldnt be talking. Theyre a generation who, despite experiencing successive massive property booms, general good times etc 8 out of 10 will be retiring on a rubbish pension.

So my colleagues keep telling me.

Being a GenY, I worked at an organisation where a lot of staff had a go at me for being 'typical gen y'.

In saying this at the time I was 23 managing a staff of 60, studying full time uni AND tafe, and running a volunteering group through the riverina. The guys saying this, were usually in their late 40's, worked FOR me and had a lot of 'annual leave' days off.

Half my mates make my lifestyle look layback, the other half still live at home trying to 'find themselves'. Just as was the case I imagine with every other generation where some tried and others didn't.

Yes I do put lifestyle before work, I don't believe we are on this earth to work till we die, doesn't mean GenY are unambitious and lack the will to make it happen. As for the GenY who do want it all for little effort, perhaps it's the generation who did the parenting who should take a hard look at themselves.

(Sorry, pet peeve).

umm just curious, how does a 23 yr old go on managaing any team, other then a bunch of teenagers at a KFC?

no offence but were you actually managing them or did you feel like you were?

and yes, I see the Gen Y characteristsics you mentioned everywhere!
but be aware, that the stereotype that you just mentioned was true, before the GFC when everything was going peachy, but due to teh GFC etc. the expectations of Gen Y have changed, and now they are become far more financially savvy then Gen Xs, so yes, the economy has forced them to do a 360!

and apparently the Gen Z or whatever it is after gen Y are the ones who are supposed to be the best out of all of them, very technically savvy, fairly hard working, dont expect it handed on a silver platter.

umm just curious, how does a 23 yr old go on managaing any team, other then a bunch of teenagers at a KFC?

are you serious? i know some guys in their mid 20s who have come close to retiring, stop being so close minded.

I know someone that is 28 years old and has about $4k per week from rental and is pretty much retired, he left school at the age of 16.

I wouldnt stress too much nhg, this whole "all gen y's are lazy" brigade are usually but not always baby boomers who really shouldnt be talking. Theyre a generation who, despite experiencing successive massive property booms, general good times etc 8 out of 10 will be retiring on a rubbish pension.
That's a bit harsh.

I am old enough to know that most BB's you talk of were completely in the dark about super until for most of them it was way too late, and when they started the panic run for most there was not much available income to shove into super.

It really only gathered steam after the Super Guarantee came in for employers to foot their bill for them.

Of course; all the younger generations since have pretty much started work from day 1 with this in place - a heeoooge advantage over the BB's come retirement time (share market crashes notwithstanding).

Most BB's were just like everyone else - working to make ends meet from week to week and do the best they can, never saved enough, etc. They put a high priority on their PPoR, and whacked a good amount into that mortgage as they went, but you can't spend equity (well; you sorta can - redraw). Most of them don't even know what a redraw is.

Even less knew anything about property investing, while the rest who were any sort of investors tried their luck on the shares, and that's about it.

They were all of the mindset - and they were led to believe it would be so - that they would be looked after in their old age through the pension, so there wasn't the mindset of a priority to invest in it, or much else.

As always; the 5% did take action to educate themselves financially and then take steps to plan for retirement, while the 95% didn't.

Even now, only a small % of the current crop of working families are clued-up on investing or finances.

We here on SS think it's a much bigger number, because we are all "in the know" so to speak, and subconsciously seek out like-minded folk, so there seems more of us types around..

But we are actually a very small group as a % of the masses.

They were all of the mindset - and they were led to believe it would be so - that they would be looked after in their old age through the pension, so there wasn't the mindset of a priority to invest in it, or much else.

As always; the 5% did take action to educate themselves financially and then take steps to plan for retirement, while the 95% didn't.

That is my point though. An entire generation where over 80% made absolutely no plans for their financial future in retirement. Any comments those 80% make re financial matter should be taken with more than a grain of salt imo.

Think about it, everyone deciding savings, investments etc were not necessary because hey, we can all live off the govt's teat yet gen y's are the ones who are meant to have no "get up and go"?

Im not in any way denying your point btw in that because everyone was doing it it seemed like it was ok. My point is that i dont think any one generation is "better" than the next

That is my point though. An entire generation where over 80% made absolutely no plans for their financial future in retirement. Any comments those 80% make re financial matter should be taken with more than a grain of salt imo.

Think about it, everyone deciding savings, investments etc were not necessary because hey, we can all live off the govt's teat yet gen y's are the ones who are meant to have no "get up and go"?

Im not in any way denying your point btw in that because everyone was doing it it seemed like it was ok. My point is that i dont think any one generation is "better" than the next
To speak on behalf of those BB's who scoff at the so-called lazy Gen-Yer's etc; I reckon it stems from an upbringing of leaving school, putting the head down, going like mad and working like a dog to provide for your family when it came along.

Being on the dole back then was almost like a teenage pregnancy in the same era...not cool.

The younger guys of today seem to not be in that sort of a hurry to launch into work, and it could be seen by the die-hard oldies that they are lazy.

Kids are staying home way longer with Mum and Dad these days, whereas back then it was almost a given that you got a job and moved out, not long after leaving school.

The advent of more welfare categories to dip into these days hasn't helped the situation, I might add....especially when you go to do some shopping and see herds of very young mothers with prams, and often accompanied by the partner.

Of course; they may all be shift workers, on their days off.

These are the aspects of those oldies' lives that have formed their opinions - rightly or wrongly.

As I said earlier too Sanj; you and all of us here are in the 5%, and will gravitate to the 5%, so we don't see the younger ones as being lazy.

Personally; I do see a lot of young laziness - because I live very near and in a lower-income area, with a high representation of welfare recipients.

It would be very easy for me to think young is lazy, but I know better; it is only my little shoebox of space in a large Country.

Im not in any way denying your point btw in that because everyone was doing it it seemed like it was ok.
A very good reminder that we should not simply follow the herd.

HAHA I was managing a crew of labourers/plant operators/leading hands.
My title was supervisor of... I was one of 3 supervisors managing a pool of 120 staff, my boss was obviously the main guy. I struggled to be honest and burnt out after a year.

How, I took a series of opportunities in a short period of time that led somewhere interesting. That’s all.

As for being too young. My mate also 23 at the time, left to manage 200 staff in the Philipines. We were about the same level, 3 years later, he is WAY above me skill wise.

An aquaintance I grew up with is now 27, retired a few years ago, was a developer, just flies around doing volunteer work in different countries now.

I have a friend as useless as breasts on a bull. He does little work, has no skills, no common sense and is a buffoon. Yet he has just secured a $200k pa job with a major IT company where he starts at 9am, has coffee at 10am 2 hour lunch starting at 12 and then it is back to the office so he can makes social phone calls until 4.30 when he gets ready to leave at 5 on the dot. He also gets free parking. And the office is opposite a brothel...

OMG!!! I havent laughed like this in a while! Tears runnning down my face!!!
Half his luck!
Cheers,
Tgan

Haha, touche

Originally Posted by sanj

And most of the time, they will diminished their assets so they can qualify for the pension. Still dont get why 50 cents from the government is worth more than a dollar of their own......

In answer to the OP, at my job I have thus far achieved 80 stars in super mario 64 on my mobile...

Wait, what? You can play Super Mario 64 on your mobile? And here I am playing Words with Friends like a sucker....

Oh, hey guys, add me on WWF...

Wait, what? You can play Super Mario 64 on your mobile? And here I am playing Words with Friends like a sucker....

Oh, hey guys, add me on WWF...

mupen64 is the program you want on your phone, and then u just download roms for free off the net :)

I've got zelda, star fox, smash bros, mario kart, and supermario bros on my phone. Luckily my job affords me lots of time to kill :)

OMG!!! I havent laughed like this in a while! Tears runnning down my face!!!
Half his luck!
Cheers,
Tgan

He still hasn't been to that brothel, but he has now started 'working' from home. Someone spotted him out shopping during work time last week while he was working at home.

He still hasn't been to that brothel, but he has now started 'working' from home. Someone spotted him out shopping during work time last week while he was working at home.

is that what he says????

he's probably going their on his lunch breaks

Back