Lower back issues

Just wondering who is best to see for lower back pain and stiffness. Would you use an Osteo or a Chiro? Normally any back problems I have will come and go pretty quickly with some remedial massage but this time the stiffness is lingering for much longer so I may need some cracking to rectify the problem.

I'd go to a physio first. You don't need a referral and should be able to get in much quicker than either of the above. If they can't fix it, they seem to usually let you know quickly.

OK, so. I do not like chiropractors, I believe they are con-artists and witch doctors who will convinces you they can tell all your problems by hovering their hand over your forehead and grunting. (I had a bad experience about 10 years ago)

However, about 5 years ago I suffered from devastating, chronic sciatica for at least 12 months , and not trusting Chiros, went to a physio. For all their efforts, they put me in the worst pain I had ever felt, for a very long time, and then literally gave up and said they couldn't help me, sending me home bent over in half.

I tried a chiro who offered to help for free. I was fine in less than two weeks. The trick is to only go when you have joint related problems, Don't buy their potions, and stop going when you stop having joint related problems.

OK, so. I do not like chiropractors, I believe they are con-artists and witch doctors who will convinces you they can tell all your problems by hovering their hand over your forehead and grunting. (I had a bad experience about 10 years ago)

I tried a chiro who offered to help for free. I was fine in less than two weeks. The trick is to only go when you have joint related problems, Don't buy their potions, and stop going when you stop having joint related problems.

That's the trick. Some chiro's think they can cure anything and everything. But they would be my first port of call for back or neck related pain.

I have used both in the past with issues that I have had over the years.

Both have been good, though I would choose an Osteo over a Chiro, as in my experience, with the Osteo I would get a massage first, prior to the manipulation of my back.

The Chiro I went to, used a massaging machine that is best described as something the size of a belt sander, which was obviously handheld to relax the muscles in my back first, though I much preferred the massage from the Osteo.

Since injuring my knee I've subconsciously favoured my right side and this constantly puts my back out. I find a chiro does wonders to put it back in place. A good chiro should take at least a 1/2 hour for a regular visit and should be doing some massage, myofacial release or other technique in preparation before adjusting. Further, a good chiro should really then advise you on exercises, stretches and such that will help in keeping the problem from recurring. The ones that take 5 mins to whack and crack you and send you on your way aren't really doing anything good for you in the long run.

As others have said, some chiros are quacks and others are very good. Generally if they start talking about the bodies innate intelligence to heal itself you can be pretty sure you have found a quack. The good ones see the body as a mechanical system that sometimes needs adjusting and tuning up and don't claim to be able to cure cancer or other such nonsense.

It was like I'd written this post!

Never been to an osteo but been 100's of times to a masseur (great if you get a good one - even better if they 'crack' too), and been a few times to a chiro.

Like anything you need to find the good ones - ask around and be specific in asking what 'moves' they do.

I'd say you need a crack and a massage followed by stretching exercises (legs and torso) that you should do as a routine on a daily basis especially as you've already mentioned problems with the sciatic nerve.

If it's muscular related, (usually is), cracking relief won't last long as your muscles will 'pull you out of shape' again. All sounds posture related. Too much sitting/slumping and not enough stretching/strengthening. Something yoga or pilates related should do the trick. Also, try using one of those big rubber blow up exercise balls to sit on when at the PC, watching TV, eating meals etc. It forces you to use good posture and balance. I also use it to 'curl over' (on hands and knees) then completely relax and let it take your weight. You can feel your spine opening up. Flip over and do a back arch on it as well. Exercises using the ball are also good.

Also, try using one of those big rubber blow up exercise balls to sit on when at the PC

This is a bad idea - I genuinely believe it was the cause of my problems.
I was sitting on one, it burst, i was on my butt before I knew what had happened, pain shot down my leg.
I thought nothing of it apart from the bruise on my cheek, but my posture and the nerve pain got worse and worse for months before I realised it wasn't going to get better on it's own.

I have had back, neck and hip problems since I was a teenager due to a serious car accident so I have plenty of experience with all of the above.

No one here can really say which one is going to offer you the best treatment for your particular situation, it really is just trial and error. I have seen numerous osteos, physios, chiros, massage therapists etc and just above every single one of them did things differently. One chiro was more like one of the osteos I saw and one osteo was more like one of the horror chiros you hear about. One physio did heat treatment and ultrasound, another acupuncture etc.

All the advice given here is purely personal and what works for one might make things worse for someone else and what was worse for one person could be the cure for the next person's pain.

My advice would be just to pick one and give it a go, if it doesn't help then try someone else.

90% of back pain resolves itself within a month or two, so whoever you see the chances are it'll work.

Keeping the back and legs fit, weight down, wearing good shoes (insoles where necessary) etc. minimizes back problems.

Personally I'd avoid chiro's because of the lack of science and diagnostic workup pre treatment, and would opt for a physio if I found it wasn't resolving on it's own.

Last edited:
i suffered back lower back pain every summer for years, the result of being too old but not accepting it and still bowling 25 overs most weeks at cricket, getting into a low car did not help much either.

i found some exercises on you-tube that have basically stopped all pain and i can walk straight ...... when sober.

Youtube a lady killer by the name of "davy wavy lower back" and the exercises should be there

worth a go

Thanks folks,

Coffee Lounge is always great for an opinion or two with personal stories attached :D

Finding someone with a good reputation is good advice. I called one such person this morning but she is booked out until Tuesday week - the day before I go away for a couple of weeks!

A kind Somersoftian (ex physio) has messaged me so I will have a chat with them about my issues.

I have a looong history of back issues and if you make a mission to lismore I used to go to James Duffy all the time. I found him quite good over the years. I assume he's still operating he used to be based on little rotary drive as you head into the park.

Many many years ago I used to go to a chiropractor once a month for a session of cracking - by the time my month was up my back was aching and I was desparate to go back.

Then someone suggest I see an osteo.

Three season of massage followed by being tied in pretsel shapes, and gently leant upon to manipulate the bones back into place, and I haven't been back since - gosh - that's been nearly 12 years now.

Although I do like to go for a deep remedial massage a few times a year nowadays - not as often as I'd like really.

I broke my back a few years ago, and was seeing a great physio at the time.

It flares up every now and again, but for the most part there's no issues...

Until my pregnancy. Then I started seeing a chiro, he was great, but the only problem was after a week or so I'd be in agony.

A smart man brought up a good point to me, you go to a physio with an issue and they fix it, then you're done. However, you go to a chiro and you have to keep going back or it gets worse.

Hopefully physio works, if not maybe osteo then chiro.

A smart man brought up a good point to me, you go to a physio with an issue and they fix it, then you're done. However, you go to a chiro and you have to keep going back or it gets worse.
Anecdotal evidence aside, that really depends entirely on the nature of the injury and the skill of the practicioners involved.

Anecdotal evidence aside, that really depends entirely on the nature of the injury and the skill of the practicioners involved.

Hmm....not too sure here.

Like Jake, I have had a bad experience with a Chiro, who wanted me to go repeatedly. In my experience it was nothing more than a waste of money at a time when I didn't have any to waste. It did nothing to resolve anything.

I have friends who seem to 'need' to see their Chiro and/or Osteo every month as well, one who has been going to one for years on end. This person will swear that they are the best thing since sliced bread. Surely they should be working towards fixing the problem, not just a bandaid that has someone in pain again if they don't re-attend within a month.

Unlike Lil, I haven't had great results with Physio either. I've had nasty sprains in which they took the same length of time to heal as they would without Physio. I've been to them to help with my hip issues (osteoarthritis) which again, didn't help in the least. Oh, sorry, I tell a lie.......one sports physio kept me on skates for around a year by getting me to 'self massage' by kind of sitting/laying on a golf ball to release the muscles in the sciatica and getting hubby to cause me untold pain before & after skating by putting pressure on a particular groin muscle that used to tighten, & pulling at my leg. Sounds weird, but it worked.

Other than that, the only other non-doctor, professional I have had results with is a Massage Therapist as I get nasty muscle cramps in my left leg, again a result of the osteoarthritis. It used to be so severe that I would be in pain just walking & the only thing that fixed it was a good, very painful, massage. I'm now on some anti-inflamitories that have somehow improved that, but I still get the muscle cramps, just not as bad.

That's some great anecdotal evidence.

Depending on the nature of the problem a Chiro can get very good results where a physio will fail and vice versa. A Chiro wouldn't be my first choice if I had a muscle strain, torn ligament, strained tendon etc. A physio wouldn't be my first choice if I had a subluxated joint. Different horses for different courses.

To each their own though.

I agree with Skater. I have worked in the Gym and Elite sports industries for a long time, so have seen 100's of people seek and get treatment from various services.

In the vast majority of cases it is exactly as Skater says - Chiros always want you back on a regular basis, good Sports physio tries to fix and stop it happenning again.

There will always be good and bad in each profession, but I have seen, heard and experienced myself that the majority of chiros are not worth it.

Back