Max profit within 2 months - Which stock?

I'm participating one of the shares competition run within Universities. Basically we have $200K fake money. We are allowed to but any ASX200 stock. The winner is decided by end equity + cash we have at the end of 2 months.

Currently I put orders to buy few shares which give dividend in next two months... but nothing is bought yet as I set them at a lower price.

Anyone got any suggestions?

These comps are usually one by someone who picked a 10c share and got lucky but you are restricted to ASX200.

Be sure to buy a cheap share as they will move a larger percentage if right.

How about something that has a big project in the wind that will report before the comp closes. Something like approval of a new mine or plant, something rumoured as a takeover target, I would look for a reason for it to "jump"

Boring rarely wins competitions :(

Have you thought about not buying anything at all? A friend entered the ASX comp last year, didn't place one trade and ended up in the top 10% :D

Is it run thru a online platform with delayed data?

I was on a westpac share game a while back and one guy was making huge returns. What he was doing, I think, is using his live data from another account to know where a share was heading and then buy it in the game. ie he was seeing 20min into the 'future' in the game version.

LoL. That's almost like Griff in Back to the Future with his sports almanac.

Wouldn't be bad having a time machine. Even 20 mins would be enough.

Never been in one of the share typing comps, but write often check out the one in the age. The number of times the dartboard or star gazer is winning.

280px-Roulette_-_detail.jpg

Rank the index for beta and fish among the highest beta lowest price and smaller cap stocks, don't even look at the ASX50, look for unusual volume and perhaps also concentrate on the sector trending the most strongly.

Recipe to go broke slowly with stringent money management, but none of that matters here :)

Thanks guys.

How about something that has a big project in the wind that will report before the comp closes. Something like approval of a new mine or plant, something rumoured as a takeover target, I would look for a reason for it to "jump"
If I have this skill then I would trade in real :)

A friend entered the ASX comp last year, didn't place one trade and ended up in the top 10% :D
It is like my super. Thankfully I moved all my super into Australian fixed and cash. According the last statement mine gone up by about 7% whereas all other asset classes are in -ve!
However, I'm not sure if that would work now in this game. Shares seems to be going up now.

Is it run thru a online platform with delayed data?
Sneaky... .but I like it :)
Can 'online platform' show the most increased stock in last 30 mins? OR do you need to have the watch list?

Rank the index for beta and fish among the highest beta lowest price and smaller cap stocks,
I'll do that and buy the top two or three.

Recipe to go broke slowly with stringent money management, but none of that matters here :)
I kind of feel that we have to do the opposite what we would do in real!
In real I will be happy to make just 7% return and be in the 70% percentile... but here, I need to take a massive gamble to have any hope.

Re: Delayed data.

A number of banks were alleged to be front running orders on the stock market. Essentially their systems would pick up a big buy or sell instruction, and trade accordingly knowing that the price would be higher or lower in a few fractions of a second.

Re: Delayed data.

A number of banks were alleged to be front running orders on the stock market. Essentially their systems would pick up a big buy or sell instruction, and trade accordingly knowing that the price would be higher or lower in a few fractions of a second.

*cough*Goldman Sachs*cough*

I have no hope in winning this comp :p

Actually you probably have as much chance as anyone else :D

Just as you would if everyone picked one of 200 shares out of a hat

Look for historically highly volatile stocks in the available selection, close your eye's and pick one

On the last day or the competetion here's hoping its trending up rather than down :D

Aaron's picture is applicable

I'm participating one of the shares competition run within Universities. Basically we have $200K fake money. We are allowed to but any ASX200 stock. The winner is decided by end equity + cash we have at the end of 2 months.

Currently I put orders to buy few shares which give dividend in next two months... but nothing is bought yet as I set them at a lower price.

8 weeks that only gives you a small timeframe,and it;s quite different with play money the psyc factor does not hit that hard and stay away from the below 20 cent range,with less then 100 days till the carbon tax comes in you will some falls in the high end miners over a small period,my opinion put everything into telstra,make your 12%,the sell and rebuy over short timeframes..

imageChart.axd

I made all these orders this morning.
Campbell Brothers Limited (CPB) - 750 @ 65.240 - Profit so far $468.57
Newcrest Mining Limited (NCM) - 1600 @ 29.520 - profit so far $368.77
Rio Tinto Limited (RIO)- 777 @ 64.270 - profit so far 35.53

After willair's comment made an order to buy the TLS.

So far I'm coming 661/1411 - That is not bad considering started only this morning.

I normally don't like investing in ASX200.

But look to something speccie like KAR (if that's in the 200). Punt on one stock only.

Placed an order for with what ever cash I had. They have a rule saying that we can't buy anything for more than 25% of our portfolio.
Currently ranked 501 (1440).

OK for a giggle lets all have a punt. Pick one off devanks list & see how you go.

Campbell Brothers Limited (CPB) - 750 @ 65.240
Newcrest Mining Limited (NCM) - 1600 @ 29.520
Rio Tinto Limited (RIO)- 777 @ 64.270
Telstra TLS. (what did you buy at?)

I pick CPB.

Telstra Corporation Limited*(TLS) -15000 @ 3.26
Campbell Brothers Limited (CPB) - 750 @ 65.240
Newcrest Mining Limited (NCM) - 1600 @ 29.520
Rio Tinto Limited (RIO)- 777 @ 64.270

Here are the profits so far.
TLS - $251.10
CPB - $1083.57
NCM - $864.77
RIO - $152.08

That is a total of $2351.52! From my point of view.. this is nothing more than gambling!

I was going to
- sell all NCM @ 29.900
- sell all CPB @ 66.600
- buy Karoon Gas Australia Limited (KAR) 740 @ 6.500
but nothing went through.

Is this trading or buy and hold over the period?

Back