Medicare rebate cut by $20 - from $37.05 to $16.95 for under 10 min consult

In the city, we get the overseas dr practice at night medical centre and they are awful. .

They might well be? Dunno, but in the bush we have no Australian doctors to compare with. So an overseas doctor is better than no doctor. End of story. Any overseas doctors I've had seem quite competent, but again I haven't seen an aussie doctor for decades so can't compare?

See ya's.

I'd reckon the fairest and simplist way to bring in more revenue would be to abolish the no capital gains tax on PPOR. Why on earth should someone who sells a 10 million dollar house get to pay no capital gains tax, but if I sell a 10 million dollar farm or business or any other asset I have to pay it? Of course this would never happen as the polies are all in on the rort too with their big expensive city houses.

This no CGT on PPOR is the biggest rort going I reckon and is purely there to serve the very richest of society. It also artificially drives up the top end house prices as all the wealthy want the tax free investment.
See ya's.

No comment? Yep, didn't think this proposal would get much support from this forum with a wealthier than average member base? Let the rort continue then?

See ya's.

No comment? Yep, didn't think this proposal would get much support from this forum with a wealthier than average member base? Let the rort continue then?

See ya's.
I'd support it, but I'd go further.

Perp's (partial) prescription for getting the books in order.

* Abolition of 50% CGT discount for individuals and trusts.

Why is CGT taxed at half the rate of income? Surely people who make money through business, and earn profit, are contributing at least as much to the economy as people who only invest capital?

* Force the governments to fund public service super and other future debts in the same way that private organisations have to fund these things as they go.

* Remove GST exemptions.

Simpler, and brings in money. GST on everything.

* Raise the GST.

12.5 or 15% seems reasonable.

* Simplify, simplify, simplify - much simpler assets and income tests that count the same things and apply across departments. Every person has one definition of their income for the year, and one definition of their assets. That definition is used for tax, social security, disaster relief, etc. etc. (Their can be different thresholds for each, but much, much simpler than is presently the case.) Accept that some will be losers, some will be winners, but overall, we'll all win from reduced bureaucracy and confusion.

* Return social security to a safety net. Get rid of family tax benefits and other middle-class welfare. Focus on actually being a safety net for those who need it, and let those who really need it have some dignity.

* Combining the above two: no social security for elderly people living in expensive homes. I have no problem with elderly people having to sell their home (and other assets) to fund their retirement. If somebody during their working life bought a (today) $500K house and buys $1.5M in shares, why should they miss out on an aged pension, when somebody who instead bought a $2M house but has no other assets is considered to "need" an aged pension?

* Crack down on corporate tax dodging per other's postings.

I probably have more brilliant ideas, but they'll do for a start. :D

Can't see much wrong with anything here Perp. You would very quickly get the books in order.

Biggest problem I'd see would be staying in government long enough to see the benefits flow through as it would be unpopular initially?

See ya's.

I'll vote for Perp's suggestions. I personally like the 50% discount on CGT, but hey you cant please everyone. I've not benefited from it yet. I am not feeling any love from my property investing career, there's got to be some bonus in it for me if we eventually sell any of the properties at a profit.

I certainly endorse the other ideas wholeheartedly.
While we are making consistent definitions of "income" and "assets" across the country, can we also streamline road rules so they are the same in every state and territory.

Can't see much wrong with anything here Perp. You would very quickly get the books in order.
Sheesh, TC agreeing with me the day after kathryn_d and I agreed. I can feel the earth shaking... :)
topcropper said:
Biggest problem I'd see would be staying in government long enough to see the benefits flow through as it would be unpopular initially?
I don't have any delusions that it's possible in any practical sense. ;)

Sadly, our present form of democracy - and the short time between elections - makes realistic and tough solutions near-impossible to implement. The main problem is that voters don't have to balance the books; they can vote for "I want all the services and I want to pay less for them!"

They might well be? Dunno, but in the bush we have no Australian doctors to compare with. So an overseas doctor is better than no doctor. End of story. Any overseas doctors I've had seem quite competent, but again I haven't seen an aussie doctor for decades so can't compare?

See ya's.

Had a few in our local practice at the hospital over the years, but mostly imports. And mostly very competent and pleasant as well.

The few aussie (born) Dr's we've had here lately have been terrible.

Trouble is, a Dr only stays around for a short time then off they go to the "better areas" after their time in purgatory out here in the scrub.:rolleyes:

I love this mentality...

Pay a GP less than $500k? Oh no gosh we need the best of care. Pay peanuts you get monkeys blah blah blah.

oh you want me to pay a few bucks to see them? no no, the 'governmentt' can cop that one.

it's easy to leave a generous tip when you have someone elses purse

Beanie Girl do you think GST should be widened to include GST on food/health and education?

Also what about the $1000 GST tax free threshold on purchasing from overseas. Do you think this should be eliminated?

This would also bring in a lot of extra revenue.

Although I'm sure Beanie Girl will be happy to answer your questions, just wondering whether you're attempting to intimidate her? Or all the other people who might agree with her?
Or do you just have a thing for Beanie Girl?

I found the paid gp ($65) per child, not so helpful. They are slow on diagnosis and treatments. And they usually don't have pathology in the premises. They are.more reluctant to give treatments or medication in one visit.

Agree with this.

topcropper: Without overseas doctors the bush would have none. And I reckon they do a fine job.
And this.

But either way, the doctors in the city are crap anyway. They keep you waiting - not just an hour or two but ALL day.
The immigrant bulk-bill doctors in the country care about their patients. The private ones are time-wasters or nut-cases e.g. treat single-mothers with disdain, etc.

A lot of doctors could lose the cynical arrogance but most work hard, deal with people all day and have studied hard to get where they are.

Although I'm sure Beanie Girl will be happy to answer your questions, just wondering whether you're attempting to intimidate her? Or all the other people who might agree with her?
Or do you just have a thing for Beanie Girl?

I dont speak for IV, but Id say trying to discuss better ways to fix the economy and to suggest alternatives that BG has yet to offer apart from whingeing about co-payments.

Sadly, our present form of democracy - and the short time between elections - makes realistic and tough solutions near-impossible to implement. The main problem is that voters don't have to balance the books; they can vote for "I want all the services and I want to pay less for them!"

But shouldn't the government do something.
After all doesn't the government act for the people.
Shouldn't the government take into account all the peoples needs and wants.
If the people want something, then shouldn't the government deliver it.

As Beanie Girl says, the people want free medical care, free education, subsidised child care and accommodation services for the elderly, middle class welfare, extensive social safety nets.

If this is what the people want then the government should just do it. Its not fair that the government should cut back on services. The government should not only maintain but also increase services. After all our needs are always getting bigger. So if our needs are getting bigger, then government expenditure needs to go up. Its the governments problem to find the money, not ours. We are just the people.

But its not the right of the government to take away money from me. I have my needs, the government should take it from those rich people. After all they are rich. They run businesses, they have lots of commercial property.

People who are smart enough to run businesses are the ones that should be helping everyone else. After all they have a duty of care to help those less fortunate than themselves. They should be forced to do more to help others less fortunate. That's the fundamental rule of society. That those that are able must do their duty to help those that are less fortunate. We all know they are just greedy, so its the duty of the government to force them to act.

And the government should definitely not increase tax on residential properties because this is the only way that normal people can try to achieve any form of passive wealth creation. And also I am providing a social service to society, I provide rental accommodation.

If the government abolished negative gearing, then rents would go up. This is quite clear. So its just not right for the government to try to obtain money from this method.
Also this would effect my own needs, and my needs should be taken into account.

I dont speak for IV, but Id say trying to discuss better ways to fix the economy and to suggest alternatives that BG has yet to offer apart from whingeing about co-payments.

Sure, go for it. I love IV's input. Just wonder if he has to target Beanie Girl. If he wants a discussion, then he could chill out and address his posts to everyone, not just one member.

I probably have more brilliant ideas, but they'll do for a start. :D
Looks like a good list except I like GST at 10%.

You could add: reducing the 30% tax break on super contributions. Do higher income earners need a 30% tax break on money they put into super? It seems excessive to me.

Fair enough. But they also want income tax cuts. That's where the problem is.

But whats the problem with that.

But income tax cuts should be limited to low and middle class income earners. They need the extra money.

The rich make enough, they don't need the extra money.

The government should just find a way to make this happen.

Maybe one way is through increasing royalties on the mining sector. After all its our minerals they are digging up, not theirs. Those minerals belong to the whole country.

The government should force the mineral sector to become better corporate citizen's. Those large mining companies only got to be so big and profitable through the exploitation of the rest of us. Digging up our minerals and selling it overseas for big profits.

Royalty fees should be increased significantly. The mining companies have made plenty of profit already so they should be able to bear it.
If commodity prices drop, then the mining companies should be forced to deal with the problem. But the government should enact a law to protect the workers. The mining companies should not be allowed to fire any of the workers. Its not fair on the workers needs. The workers are only average people they are not rich people. It wouldn't be right to have the workers become unemployed just because commodity prices are dropping. The companies should figure out at way to deal with the problem. Its their company their problem, but its our minerals so they should still pay higher royalties. Because the money from those royalties can help fund increased government expenditure that's required to all meet all the peoples needs.

gees I have stumbled into a communist forum. Other company's minerals in the ground don't belong any more to you than your house does to me.

Back