Melb Airpot to City - Bus ?

Is public transport an easy to catch into the CBD from the aiport ?

I'm arriving at 6.4am... figured I might take a shower & chagne at the airport then head to the city.. staying in Little Collin St

Very easy to use.
went to Melbourne about 3 weeks and used the bus to the city. There was 3 adults and 1 3yr with us.
The bus drops you off at southern cross station and you can then catch a mini bus to your hotel if it is in the city.
Here is the website for the bus http://www.skybus.com.au/

One piece of advice, use the eftpos terminal behind the booth itself if there is a crowd, ( there was about 20 people in the queue,beat them all for the bus) cant remember seeing a sign for it but it is there.

Thanks guys, that sounds simple enough....

Collins St & little Collins St are close enough for even me to be comfortable working it out from there

cheers.....now I need to find a good venue to watch the repeast grand final
- Federation Square ?

Thanks guys, that sounds simple enough....

Collins St & little Collins St are close enough for even me to be comfortable working it out from there

cheers.....now I need to find a good venue to watch the repeast grand final
- Federation Square ?

That would be the closest or if you want to sit and watch AAMI Park

The Victorian Government announced that AAMI Park will host the AFL Grand Final replay live site on Saturday.

Supporters from both sides can attend the free live site to watch the match. The event is open to the public with members and non members able to attend.

The stadium can hold up to 30,000 supporters and will be open at 12 pm.

Source: collingwoodfc.com.au

Just a note - a Taxi MAY be cheaper if you are travelling in a group of 3 or 4.

Note the skybus is $16 per person.

The Y-man

Good call Y-man. Once you get 4 in a cab it does work out cheaper, especially at that time of the morning.
As for watching the GF part II Fed square won't be showing due to unavailability according to the 9 news so its AAMI stadium or any pub in the state!

Good call Y-man. Once you get 4 in a cab it does work out cheaper, especially at that time of the morning.
As for watching the GF part II Fed square won't be showing due to unavailability according to the 9 news so its AAMI stadium or any pub in the state!

I dont thin Id ahve gotten into the city for less than $16 guys in a taxi - come on..

A taxi costs double that from PErth to the city and the distance is shorter (heavy trafftice doesnt come into it for Perth like it might in Melbourne)

Skybus was goood. Melbourne was even better

That's what happens when I only read 1/2 your post.. sorry Y-Man

Being on my own, the skybus worked out the cheaper option and very reliable too

I had a great time in Melbourne, cant wait to go again, for a couple more days next time hopefully

If 3 of you
$16 x 3 = $48 for cab ride

4 of you
$16 x 4 = $64 for cab ride

The Y-man

When there are 3 or 4 of us going to Melb we always use a particular Limo owner/driver service.

Costs only a few dollars more than a taxi but much nicer than riding in Melbourne taxis :eek:.

When there are 3 or 4 of us going to Melb we always use a particular Limo owner/driver service.

Costs only a few dollars more than a taxi but much nicer than riding in Melbourne taxis :eek:.

My melbourne taxi felt like a ....... car :confused:

I LIKE the idea of being in a limo, but I'd be acting if I pretended that taxis made me squirm ror disgusted, I sat on a clean seat with a polite driver for an expected decent price, why would that make you go :eek: ?

My melbourne taxi felt like a ....... car :confused:

I LIKE the idea of being in a limo, but I'd be acting if I pretended that taxis made me squirm ror disgusted, I sat on a clean seat with a polite driver for an expected decent price, why would that make you go :eek: ?

For $5 to $7 more I can be sure I get a clean well maintained Limo (no Nil Odor covering up vomit smells or BO), a driver that observes road rules, is polite and friendly, and takes me directly to my destination.

I've been to Melbourne dozens of times over the years and have had my far share of 'poor standard' taxi experiences. Taxis here are not that flash but I'm sure they're worse there.

I'm not talking about stretch Limo's Jaycee. They're generally only top of the range very well kept and clean regular cars (that usually happen to be black :cool:).

It's not about being posh. It's more about spending $2 to $3 dollars more per person for a much more pleasant ride.

LOL ! I certainly didn't call anyone posh, and I don't think I would consider somebody spending a couple of $, or even a bunch of $, on a limo when they go on holiday/visit 1 city an example being posh - is that what being posh is ?

I just thought you were exagerating how supposedly BAD a taxi is..

I'm a grumpy *******, I really am.. but one thing I felt I had no reason to whinge about in Melbourne and actaull even the ones I caught at hoeom to & from the airport.. where the state of the taxis or the driving style & attitude of the driver.. actually I had very little to whinge about, had a great w/end, can't wait to do it again....

I did agree that limo's are more comforatable (I find it hard to lie about common sense obvious things), and that may make it worthwile compared to sitting say in a normal car like your nextdoor neighbours / a taxi...but surely your decription of taxis and drivers is (only slightly I'm sure) a bi tof an exaggeration of the truth - it happens, but not that often

I don't think your're alone in having travelled to Melb more than 10 times either....

Jaycee, I've had a taxi drive 40km over the limit over a few km before, one argue and get aggressive over him wanting more than the fare, a driver swerving all over the road and more recently one here in Adelaide taking my mum on a half hour trip when she was only wanting to travel 7km.

He wanted $70 for that when I clearly gave both the taxi co. and her the address. He scared her and ended up taking 3 of her cab charges at his insistance and $15 (she knew it was only a $15 trip).

I know there are polite and decent ones out there like my mothers Pakistani student neighbour who will sometimes do her trips and is hesitant about taking money.

Then there is the condition of some of them :(.

I'm not exaggerating when I say 'poor standard' in the taxi industry. I've experienced it :eek::eek::eek::p.

Back