Melbourne Boom...Take 2!

You are close, but the range given to me was a bit higher than that. It's too soon for me to comment on how I am finding dealing with Ray White Oakleigh. I'll be in a better position to comment once auction day has come.

It wasn't my choice to not put a price range on my property. I have noticed that properties that they have advertised have no price range.

If you can get at least two people interested, then it could go into the low 600's. I like the reno, did you do it yourself? (was this your PPOR or your investment property?).

Agree with you JIT. Not enough quality stock on the market.

I've got two $500k pre-approvals ready and there isn't a single suitable property for sale in North Melbourne right now (2 bedder with parking, not ground floor with some land value).

vuster - Ill give you 300k for your place :p jk

Since I started looking at places to live in, about 3-4 months ago, I saw no evidence that supported what I heard and read in the news and magazines.

I went to an auction about a month ago and it was an old place, painted green all over, in malvern east, north of chaddy, and very close to train line and fwy (you can hear the loud noise as the auction was on), with a nice little park at the end of the street.

There were to guys bidding for it, and the guy who won it looked like he was buying for he's daughter/daughter in-law. He paid 800k. Dont know if its alot but they started at 600k. I know if I had 800k I wouldnt be living in that house.

Does anyone know why the prices are so high? Is it people coming from overseas? I'm thinking that its the high demand that is pushing up the prices. Maybe people are buying places in their own area to push up prices? What happened in 2007 that might happen again?

Last edited:
If you can get at least two people interested, then it could go into the low 600's. I like the reno, did you do it yourself? (was this your PPOR or your investment property?).

Thanks CADAN,

I did what I could myself but had to get professionals to do other things like restumping, roofing, carpet, and garage. Hardest bit was the paving. 13 pellets of pavers which is something I will not ever want to do again.

This is my PPR.

I see that type of stuff every weekend. What is really amusing is the claims that underquoting doesnt exist, yet I can, and I bet you can too, estimate the sale price of a auctioned property to within $15k, yet the agents are always UNDER by at least 20%, or $80-$100k. Tell me how we would have a better idea of what a property will sell for than 'professionals' that live eat and breath auctions?

Its funny-a couple of times I have played a game of cat and mouse, offering prior to auction prices $30k over the quoted range just to see them squirm and come up with some excuse why it wont be accepted.....

Anybody got any feedback on Hocking Stewart in regards to under quoting? Particularly around Fitzroy, Carlton areas?

Thanks CADAN,

I did what I could myself but had to get professionals to do other things like restumping, roofing, carpet, and garage. Hardest bit was the paving. 13 pellets of pavers which is something I will not ever want to do again.

This is my PPR.

It does look great, and yes, 13 pellets of pavers is not a job you want to do often. When I go up Huntingdale road will do a drive by and see it in person, its been a while since I have driven up that street, although drive by it regularly.

Anybody got any feedback on Hocking Stewart in regards to under quoting? Particularly around Fitzroy, Carlton areas?

On the HK website, they have all their past sales results, you can search by suburb. (go to oldrealestate listings and try and work out what it was quoted at).

Hmm... Agent was marketing a property in Fitzroy, 2 bedroom, warehouse conversion in Kerr St... Advertised ESR was $410,000 to $450,000... Saw the result in the weekend paper, sold for $535,000...

Anybody attend this? I'm sure there may have been some disappointed buyers...

underquoting

In my experience HS always underquote by as much as 30-50% (320k quoted up until day before and then 450k at auction for instance). Either they're naive salespeople or just trying to get a crowd along to the auction. If it's HS I usually estimate at least 50k on top of their range. SO far that's been at least 50k short lol.

Attended two auctions today for properties I was interested in. We were lucky enough to have already bought late last month.

Doncaster - Marketed $500+ - Sold for $672
Lower Templestowe - Marketed $460-$500 - Sold for $627

Good 6+ bidders for both.

Crazy times. I really feel for the investors and buyers who are genuine locals...brought up in Australia competing with foreign investors and immigrants. I would have thought the strong Aussie dollar may have put off some of the foreign investors!?

Last edited:
I think it's safe to say that the Melbourne property market is hot atm. I sold my house yesterday at auction at a price that exceeded my expectations. I thought I was lucky but then when I checked the auction results for other properties that day I couldn't believe how much they sold for.

Here's 2 comparative properties:

Sold yesterday for 560K
http://www.domain.com.au/Public/PropertyDetails.aspx?adid=2007961800

Sold 3 months ago for 460K
http://www.domain.com.au/Public/PropertyDetails.aspx?adid=2007763625

I think the 3rd quarter median price results will show that the market has gained 15% over that period.

The question now is how much steam does this market have left.

Wouldn't the buyer have issues getting finance as the house if not worth $701K?

I notice that the house is on a large block with development potential. My guess is that a developer has paid cash for this to put up some town houses or the like. But it is still a lot of money for Ringwood East! :eek:

Don't believe the Ringwood one is a mistake, as it was reported in The Age. All i can think is that 2 buyers got in a p!$$!ng contest. You gotta love auctions. Makes no sense as a development site either, IMO. I guess you may be able to get 2 townhouses on it but it's pretty exxy land.

Back