Hi all

After doing some research here and buying a block of land with a house on it i'm diving straight into subdividing it. Renting out the current house till we are ready to buiild. Location bundoora Victoria - city of darebin.

Hope to get some help from the users of the forum.

planning on building a duplex 4 bedrooms each. pretty standard 15m X 35m block flat north rear yard, duplex's in the area.

I have involved a group in melbourne to do the town planning process.
I didn't shop around as my time is pretty important and i wanted a one stop shop for this process.

Town Planning drawings for both duplex - $9000
TP permit - $3000
TP report - $2500
Feature Survey $1500
Existing Titles Restablishment survey $1000
Subdivision permit $2000

What do you think about the costs? Are these reasonable. Was there any areas I over spent.

Now looking at the building permit.
Working Drawings - getting a quote for $4500each. The Duplex's are identical and trying to get them to do it cheaper.
Engineers Drawings/Report - required?
Energy rating report/drawings - Any ideas of providers
Soil report - $350

Am planning to send out the the plans to potential builders to obtain ball park figures. Any recommendations for builders in the bundoora region.

Will post a photo of the block and the plans soon :)

Cheers
Nimesh

Bundoora has been hit massively ever since the government clamped down on student numbers. Are you sure you can sell it for a good price?

Hey Nimesh,

I have noticed that you got hit pretty hard on the town planning cost. I'm an architect and have been doing sub-divisions for 4 to 5 years. I would like to email you a fee breakdown and if you are interested to save a few thousand dollars in town planning you can contact me.

FD

nothing valuable I can add just want to mention that the northern part of bundoora actually belongs to the city of whittlesea afaik

Bundoora has been hit massively ever since the government clamped down on student numbers. Are you sure you can sell it for a good price?

Wunderbar thanks for your feed back. Just a question. Government clamping on student numbers? Did you mean the reduction in student visas or a crack down on houses with massive number of students?

One thing i have noticed is the amount that different types of students are willing to pay for accommodation. The current house was initially rented out to some students from the subcontinent and we had like 5 of them in a two bedroom house. Where as we now have a couple renting the place out. You really need to be careful who you rent out the place to. The majority of the students who come from the subcontinent or SE asia tend to have a lower disposable income hence try to minimise housing costs. They do this by maximising the number of students per house. I was recently at uni and i saw this happening around monash and even in apartments in southbank where a two bedroom apartment would have more like 3/4 people living in it. By the way i'm Sri Lankan.

Sorry went off in a bit of a tangent there.

The plan is to hold the project and create a CF+ or positively geared investment and so do not plan to sell them. So all profits are locked in and no tax CGT or GST on sales

nothing valuable I can add just want to mention that the northern part of bundoora actually belongs to the city of whittlesea afaik

Yes def in the city of darebin as per my rates notices :) whittlesea is so hard to deal with they seem to be married to their trees, another project.

Hey Nimesh,

I have noticed that you got hit pretty hard on the town planning cost. I'm an architect and have been doing sub-divisions for 4 to 5 years. I would like to email you a fee breakdown and if you are interested to save a few thousand dollars in town planning you can contact me.

FD

Thanks frank. Will get in touch and and see how it compares. I do feel it was a bit much for the town planning all up about 20K to get the TP approval.

Will compare your prices and email you for a chat

Regards
Nimesh

Back