Melbourne West Growth Corridor

A snapshot of Crimes against the person...
Eastern Region - 681.6 per 100,000 of population up by 7.8%
Northwest Metro - 1,043.7 per 100,000 of population up by 4.2%
Southern Metro - 889.2 per 100,000 of population up by 3.2%
Western Region - 870.3 per 100,000 of population DOWN BY -2.2%

Um....I think your statistics speak for themselves...Western region has 28% more crime than Eastern, North-West has 53% more...growth rate is irrelevant with those statistics.

Yes the are the inner city will go from their $700k prices to $1m and outer burbs will go from $300k to $600k.

No brainer. Who would choose to pay $600k for Box Hill when you can live in Sunshine or Altona for the same price?

I don't quite understand your logic here Deltaberry.

Box Hill is currently @ $600k - by the time the Western Suburbs reach $600k Box Hill will be $1.2M. How do you compare the 2 areas when one is double the price?

Also what about the people who work in the Western Suburbs, or have grown up there and enjoy that side of town? They won't want to live in Box Hill. There will always be buyers in the West which will help drive up prices.

BTW I live in the Eastern Suburbs and have IP's in both the SE and Western suburbs of Melbourne. I think your comments are extremely simplistic and elitist to be honest.

As they say you don't necessarily buy IP's where you would like to live.

I reckon you blokes should be consulting to the big developers like Peet, Stockland, etc.

Perhaps you should tell them not to invest in Western Melbourne....they are likely to go bankrupt!

I'll tell you what....do the percentage growth calcualtions between Eastern and Western Melbourne...chances are the growth rates in percentage terms would not be far off.

Haven't I been saying Altona will go up in the thread?

I don't quite understand your logic here Deltaberry.

Box Hill is currently @ $600k - by the time the Western Suburbs reach $600k Box Hill will be $1.2M. How do you compare the 2 areas when one is double the price?

Also what about the people who work in the Western Suburbs, or have grown up there and enjoy that side of town? They won't want to live in Box Hill. There will always be buyers in the West which will help drive up prices.

BTW I live in the Eastern Suburbs and have IP's in both the SE and Western suburbs of Melbourne. I think your comments are extremely simplistic and elitist to be honest.

As they say you don't necessarily buy IP's where you would like to live.

Why are my comments elitist?

I'm saying that Box Hill has peaked out and soon western suburbs will reach the same price once people realise there's no difference between Box Hill and Altona

Why are my comments elitist?

I'm saying that Box Hill has peaked out and soon western suburbs will reach the same price once people realise there's no difference between Box Hill and Altona

Apologies then as I have misread your post.

Still am very doubtful that Box Hill has peaked in price considering what prices Surrey Hills, Camberwell, Mont Albert, etc. now command.

Prices in the next suburbs out will continue to push up via purchasers who cannot afford to buy into these areas.

And although I think that the Western Suburbs will do OK (Altona, etc.) I don't think that they will catch suburbs such as Box Hill. Too much of a stigma attached.

Not sure what you are trying to prove with those links. We can equally find recent crime news in the eastern side too.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/mo...otel-in-st-kilda/story-fn7x8me2-1226202038706

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/police-hunt-after-dead-body-find-20111205-1odv8.html

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/mo...mpted-abductions/story-fn7x8me2-1226202684525

http://www.theage.com.au/execute_search.html?text=melbourne+east+stab&ss=theage.com.au

A lot of the negativity has to do with the stigma attached to the west by the people who grew up and live on the eastern side, despite rarely visiting the west and not having first hand experience. I notice people who move here from interstate or overseas are more open to the western and northern suburbs and can appreciate the pros and cons better rather than default to the brainwashed 'the west is no good avoid at all cost' mindset.

i think there are both bad and good suburbs in the west and the east.

but statistically, there are more bad "high crime" suburbs in the west than in the east. there is growth no doubt but there are also certain risk factors as well.

And although I think that the Western Suburbs will do OK (Altona, etc.) I don't think that they will catch suburbs such as Box Hill. Too much of a stigma attached.

As i said, I'm new to Melbourne but in other cities i have lived in i have seen "bad stigma" areas change for the better over time, and seen there values climb relative to "better areas". Usually due to there proxcimity to the CBD.

[No brainer. Who would choose to pay $600k for Box Hill when you can live in Sunshine or Altona for the same price?[/QUOTE]

You are kidding right??? Box Hill is lush, with great character-style housing, big old street trees, great gardens etc and has been middle class forever... I'd live there in a heartbeat if I ever come back to Melbourne.

Sunshine and Altona may have improved a bit in the 23 years since I lived in Melbourne but not enough to ever overtake Box Hill in the desirability stakes.....I stand to be corrected though...

And the food

Longer term, next 30 years they will both be great investments.

I don't buy the fear/crime arguments. It's a very eliteist attitude even if the stats show higher crime. Very Brightonian (I qualify to comment with family and friends living in the area). I'm still trying to convince some of them the stolen generation occurred.

But we all sponsor and donate to overseas charities because our own indigenous communities are doing fine.

The food is definitely 100 times better in Box Hill.

[No brainer. Who would choose to pay $600k for Box Hill when you can live in Sunshine or Altona for the same price?

You are kidding right??? Box Hill is lush, with great character-style housing, big old street trees, great gardens etc and has been middle class forever... I'd live there in a heartbeat if I ever come back to Melbourne.

Sunshine and Altona may have improved a bit in the 23 years since I lived in Melbourne but not enough to ever overtake Box Hill in the desirability stakes.....I stand to be corrected though...

Id say both suburbs would be a vast improvement on Canberra. Doesnt Canberra have XXX shops on every corner with legalised weed and everyone works for the government or is that just an old bias?

Back