Moments that have changed your life..

Steve
I have had a similar accident and did not feel any pain on my shoulders/neck area quite some time.

Later on next year i went to a GP/eventually a physio and was told that the reason i have pain now is due to the effects of that impact ....the pain is in control after sev physio sessions and swimming ( which was more effective than physio)

Its better to have it checked out......

life changing events.........

9/11 ( was in Midwest - USA back then ).
Carrying my Uncle's dead body in the back of an Ambulance by myself and an hospital attendant ( this was overseas ). I relaised the fragility of life and the sudden end of time.. its difficult to xplain what I experienced.

Learning that I would be a father ...but fate would have it otherwise..and then helping my wife get over the trauma of mis-carriage..
And in the same month had to decide whether to pull the artificial breathing for my terminal mother in law...

..enuf for today...

I have never collectively thought of all the above / and never wrote about it....I guess everyone has +/- events.

But cheers to all the Survivors :)

One single moment which was life changing for me.

It was the first day of a Contiki tour- we started at San Diego Zoo. I started talking with a Mexican young lady. We went on to Sea World in the afternoon, and we were getting along well.

We were at the aquarium, where there was a shark. She gave my hand just a quick grasp. That moment made me realise that perhaps the attraction was two way.

A short time afterwards, one of the tour members took a picture of the two of us together. I thought then that perhaps I would look back on this picture as something to remember, the first day we met.

The relationship grew over the next two weeks of the tour.

That was in October 1986. We married in January 1988, and are still together.

I had a lifechanging experience when I was about 22. I was working in an office at Pinkenba in Brisbane, on the Brisbane River. Every so often cruise ships would stop outside our office. You'd see quite elderly people with walking sticks, supporting eachother to walk, get off the cruise ships. I decided then that I wanted to retire at a much younger age than the average retirement age. :)

Vince, I've just put you on ignore....so it's all for your low brow, low aspirational fan club's sake from here.

For anyone that doesn't mind me, I am sorry for ww calling them low brow, or suggesting they have low aspirations, because of me.

Just incase anyone was wondering, I'm 100% serious that i've met and even spent some time getting to know some nice people, that spent months in intensive care, and years trying to recover, from a hit and run car or bike accident.

Some of these people were abandoned, left lying on the road bleeding and unconscious, with broken bones and torn ligaments, and would have most certainly have died if a passing by stranger hadn't have stopped and called for an ambulance, such as in these two cases.

There was a nice old lady that was crossing the road, and got hit and run by a speeding car. She was left on the road, found by a stranger, was in ICU for months, but after about a year of rehab she was able to walk again, for a very short distance and slowly. Many of her bones are patched up with metal, she joked that she looks like a robot in her xrays, unfortunately she'll never be able to fully recover. The offender was never caught, accident happened in a quiet street with no witnesses.

There was a guy that got cut off at a T intersection whilst on his bike, and when a passing by lady found the rider unconscious, and twitching on the ground, with the car driver watching over him, who told the stranger that she had already called for an ambulance.
After about 10 minutes, the passer by decided to call up and check on the ambulance, and was told that no ambulance had been requested, but that one was now on it's way.
The guy spent a couple of months in ICU, but after a year of rehab, had made a near full recovery, but probably never to fully recover from. The car involved wasn't accused of anything, the accident happened in a quiet street with no witnesses.

I choked om a hotdog March 4, 1982.
I was all by myself and knew I didn't have a long time to dislodge it, before I would pass out.

Still can't eat them if I am by myself.
I chew my food very slowly and am constantly aware of this danger.

If you married a different person or wound up living in a different state or country , who knows what other direction life might have gone.

Me , I knocked back a very unique and rare property once in 2000 , offered to me on a silver platter . Irreplaceable to this day and now it would be too dear and way out of my reach anyway .

That place truly would have changed my life and that I didn't take it , life took on a whole new chain reaction of events and direction . It couldn't be more different now to how it would have been if I'd taken that offer . Me messed up big time !

Cheers

Me , I knocked back a very unique and rare property once in 2000 , offered to me on a silver platter . Irreplaceable to this day and now it would be too dear and way out of my reach anyway .

Ohrr, come on, you can't do that to us, it's not allowed. How about some info? You can't leave us hanging like this...And everyone loves a good "if only" story.

See ya's.

Life-changing moments can and do happen.

For me, the first was when I had a serious accident in my car a few months before my 21st birthday, hit my head on the steering wheel, and caused a 5-inch gash across my forehead - I woke up in hospital wondering if I'd damaged my brain (I didn't, but it sure did hurt). Changed my life as I realised I wasn't invincible, and needed to become a better driver.

Second was when my children were born, partly because being a parent is the greatest leveller of all, and it has taught me patience and tolerance for others, and to forgive myself when things don't go to plan.

Third was when my brother-in-law was killed as a pedestrian crossing the road. This changed our lives in many ways, including giving us a strong desire for work/life balance (he died on his last day of work, with many weeks owing of un-taken holidays) and to live our lives in his honour, with no regrets. I also learnt from being with his mother that losing a child, whatever their age, is the worst thing a person can go through, and to cherish those we love and let them know it.

Life changing event:

at a dinner of workmates and one of my friends bought his new girlfriend (now wife ) along. She was looking lost and not enjoying the strictly work related conversation around her as she was left (temporarily) alone.

I noticed and wanted to include her in the conversation and I remember the feeling of shame, panic and embarrasment as i couldnt think of anything to say...not a clue..

it was only a nanosecond, her boyfriend came back but I remember driving home numb and spending half the night realising how my life was unbalenced spending my whole time at work and unable to interact unless i was at work. I had a really unhealthy mindset and personal life at the time, looking back I was clinically depressed.

seems trivial but was my lightening flash moment. It was like getting slapped in the face,

quit my job by the end of the year, cut unhealthy relationship stone dead. have never contacted him since, went overseas so he couldnt follow me, backpacked everywhere, got my self respect back, stopped secretly crying and throwing up from stress and came back 18months later a healthy and happy person with no baggage

god the relief....

6 years later...

life changing event #2
hearing the words... "Ive wanted to marry you for months...will you?"

Asking for a payrise on a really stressful job. Every time I've mentioned to the boss, "Have you reviewed my pay". Reply "No sorry, I've been too busy". After 3 months, deciding my time is too important for one more week of crappy pay. Say to boss, " I resign". Response, "Please reconsider". My response, "Sorry, I've made up my mind".
Mortgage free is freedom.

at 21, I was the front seat passenger in a high speed head on. learnt to appreciate life pretty early on... whatever chances I took or crazy things I did after that didn't really matter because i should have been dead and buried years ago

Watching my close family in pain when my Cousin committed suicide in 2001 due to depression. I still remember the phone call exactly. Makes me appreciate my healthy family so much more.

Andrew

Going to bed now and upset because six months ago at about 11pm I got the call I had been dreading since Mum was diagnosed with a brain tumour. Time to say goodbye for the last time. That last drive up to the palliative ward was unbearable and it has all come back to me tonight. I miss her so much. These tears have been buiding for a while and I don't think I'll sleep too well tonight.

Mum's diagnosis made me realize life can turn on a dime. We are less concerned about sweating the "small stuff".

Going to bed now and upset because six months ago at about 11pm I got the call I had been dreading since Mum was diagnosed with a brain tumour. Time to say goodbye for the last time. That last drive up to the palliative ward was unbearable and it has all come back to me tonight. I miss her so much. These tears have been buiding for a while and I don't think I'll sleep too well tonight.

Mum's diagnosis made me realize life can turn on a dime. We are less concerned about sweating the "small stuff".

Oh wylie, so very sorry to hear of your mum. I really believe their energy is still somewhere around us.

Unfortunately, the pain never stops, I think we just learn how to cope with it/hide it better over time. It's been more than 20 years for me now & I still think about them every day, moreso now I've had a child of my own. Corny, but I think remembering the good times, their touch, their smell, the small moments & the laughs, can really help. I think we'd give up almost anything just to have one more hug.

When a friend of mine died in an accident 3 1/2 years ago. I was the executor for her estate and at 26yrs I felt that I owed it to her to grow up and stop thinking life is all about me, to get the most out of your life and to be the best success you can be! She loved trading shares and was sensible and hardworking. She died at 42 and this has taught me to try to work hard and smart in PI while still doing things with friends, buying nice things and travelling. I think of all the things she worried about when she would retire one day (she had no children), how much money she was making but really none of it mattered the day she died. I guess what I'm saying is what's the point in worrying too much (still working on this) and what's the harm in being a little bit frivolous sometimes (this isn't hard :D)! It is so important to enjoy each day.

I'm sorry to hear about your Mum Wylie and I also believe that people that die watch over you.

Congrats on your permanent residency Edmond Dantes! Australia is a nice country to live as you know!

Back