mortgage loans after 65

I have been told that a lady 65 years old is assets rich but cash poor and so no more mortgage loan is possible. Anyone knows whether this is required by mortgage rule? :)

Hi Francesco

Having equity is one thing - being able to service a loan is another.

Being 65 technically doesn't exclude a person from taking out a loan but the lender would expect some sort of exit strategy and usually a reduced loan term.

Cheers

Jamie

I have been told that a lady 65 years old is assets rich but cash poor and so no more mortgage loan is possible. Anyone knows whether this is required by mortgage rule? :)

I would have thought cashflow poor at any age would mean no mortgage, regardless of assets.

You only need so much equity, but you need adequate and stable cashflow to service a mortgage.

I imagine if the 65yo converted those assets to income producing it would be a different story.

You have to satisfy the 'responsible lending' rules. So you basically have to demonstrate how they are going to afford the mortgage / pay it back. Often the deal can be done for older people by saying that they intend to sell the house to repay the mortgage and/or some other strategy. It is the opinion of many compliance officers that just relying on the sale of the property is not enough, especially if the property is a PPOR.

Thanks everyone for the response. So, it seems age does not automatically bars one from getting a mortgage loan. It still comes down to serviceability and equity. I was told the old lady intends to sell one of her investment property in Qld so she could purchase one presumably as PPOR. Seems like there is possibility there, especially if the mortgage loan can be covered by sale of one or two properties over 6 months?

Thanks everyone for the response. So, it seems age does not automatically bars one from getting a mortgage loan. It still comes down to serviceability and equity. I was told the old lady intends to sell one of her investment property in Qld so she could purchase one presumably as PPOR. Seems like there is possibility there, especially if the mortgage loan can be covered by sale of one or two properties over 6 months?

This is a 'bridging loan' and they don't require serviceability anyway because the loan terms are very short.

Doesn't it depend on what assets the bank is holding? My mother organised a large loan (undrawn but ready to be drawn) when she was about 70 years old with no issues, but the bank was holding more than the loan amount worth of property.

It seems we may not have the full story here. If she holds property assets already does she have existing mortgages? I have a mid 60s client who buys and sells properties but keeps the same loan by substituting the security property. That way there isn't a need to reapply for a loan. If the lady concerned is selling one property and buying another don't let her pay out any existing mortgage (if there is one) until she considers security substitution.

It seems we may not have the full story here. If she holds property assets already does she have existing mortgages? I have a mid 60s client who buys and sells properties but keeps the same loan by substituting the security property. That way there isn't a need to reapply for a loan. If the lady concerned is selling one property and buying another don't let her pay out any existing mortgage (if there is one) until she considers security substitution.

She has mortgage loans in her investment portfolio. I do not know her full financial details but it seems she will not be buying the new property as her bid is a bit lower than what vendor is prepared to accept. She has sold her PPOR and is renting at the moment by herself. Thanks for all the ideas and contributions but an old widow can be guided only so far.:)

Francesco. I see no logic in keeping investment property after 65 if you are wanting to buy a home.

The interest rate on the new loan would be at least 6.5% while NETT return on investments would only be 3% (approx) calculated against current realizable value.

We sold our properties in the last couple of years and are mortgage free. I used some of the cash for improvements and are happy little vegemites. We still have cash in the bank to do maintenance but not so much we don't get a part pension.

If you are not paying a mortgage, get a little income and a part pension things are OK. Far better I suspect, than being perennially short of a dollar because you are paying off loans.

Life doesn't have to be complicated. :)

The interest rate on the new loan would be at least 6.5% while NETT return on investments would only be 3% (approx) calculated against current realizable value.
Should try to keep up, shouldn't I?

The latest rate rise puts ANZ slightly behind Westpac at 7.46 per cent and ahead of Commonwealth Bank at 7.41 per cent. National Australia Bank which has a strategy to undercut rivals, sells variable mortgages at 7.31 per cent.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/swan...-rate-whack-20120413-1wz3j.html#ixzz1rypAIDwf

Francesco. I see no logic in keeping investment property after 65 if you are wanting to buy a home.

We sold our properties in the last couple of years and are mortgage free. I used some of the cash for improvements and are happy little vegemites. We still have cash in the bank to do maintenance but not so much we don't get a part pension.

If you are not paying a mortgage, get a little income and a part pension things are OK. Far better I suspect, than being perennially short of a dollar because you are paying off loans.
Life doesn't have to be complicated. :)

Hi SF

There are many strategies and yours will not harmonise with the old lady's or mine. Why keep investment properties after age 65? Many reasons, for one, income stream from SMSF are non taxable after 60.

Why keep investment property when you need to borrow to buy PPOR? I agree you need to sell an investment property. This is the old lady's problem and she has to come round to it.

Why pay mortgage interest when retired? When your pension stream is taxed and NG still has a role to play. Life is as complicated as it needs to be to live in a sophisticated society like Australia where taxes are imposed on everything and you try to look after self, family and a few charities. No part pension or Centrelink benefits for me especially under current govt. but manageable with one or two overseas holidays each year for recreation and charity.

Thanks for your advice. :)

Back