motivation

Any one thought of asking the neighbours. You will suprised what information is out there. If it's owned by acompany often a company search and a credit check on the directors can be revealing. Call a rival agent in the area that has missed out on the business, they are often happy to tell the dirt

more posing

Talking to the neighbours is something that TW has suggested to me ( and others ).

I have used it in logan and it was usefull in helping me decide on a deal I was uncertain about.

We also talked to neigbours while looking for our PPOR and found out a suprising amount of info, though we didn't uncover any info about highly motivated vendors. It mainly confirmed what we had been told by the agents ( some ARE truthfull ).

If you walk slowly up and down a street looking at houses a steady trickle of people will come out into their front yard and start doing things and are only happy to talk to you. In this situation , I would " pose" as an owner occupier because I don't think many people want a rental house, or a development next to them ....

see change

"( some ARE truthfull )."
Remember you are talking to the oposition. How can you tell when truth is spoken! It is anly after the event that truth confirmed. Independence is essential, before you purchase

Dave M,
Ah, I feel you are shooting yourself in the foot there with your attitude towards agents. Agents should be your friends. Correct me if I am worng anyone, but I can't think of anyone who is better equipped to let you know about good deals before others. Good agents should be a part of your team, not considered 'the enemy'.

Mark
'no hat, some cattle'

Hi all.
See my posting on motivated vendors. This post was made prior to me reading the current thread.

Funny how the clever operators own the proverbial cattle farm, whilst others who treat us with contempt hit those walls every time.

Well said Mark.

Cheers,
Sam.

l just dont see how an agent can be seen as the enemy.

We have picked up two investment properties that were never officially listed or advertised by building a healthy relationship with RE agents. They know your genuine, youve done your research, the right property becomes available, you get first bite at the cherry.

You arent going to get those sort of opportunities if you dont treat an agnet as an equal! Treat people how you expect to be treated.

Over the years (15) i have been lied to, cheated, fobbed off, ripped off, given the run around and all the rest of it by so many real estate agents it has permanantly formed my negative opinion of agents and the industry for the rest of my life.

Im talking about buying 10 properties and selling 3 or 4 in 15 years, not to mention hundreds of dealings with them up to this day.

One that i will never forget is when i was about 25 yo, i was looking at a house that was advertised privately, i knew jack about property then, so i dropped into the local real estate office
to ask a few general questions, i was told no one can talk to me unless i told them where the property was.

Well, being green as at the time, i did, and what do you know, theres an LJ Hooker sign out the front the next day and its $20k more expensive.

I was devastated, it was to be my first PPOR and the new price was beyond my price range at the time.

If thats not losing a fan for life at a young age i dont know what is.

Theres plenty more where that story came from, maybe i should write a book. Im sure forumites have plenty of stories to tell.

Another one that comes to mind: About 5 years after the above incident i threatened to take an inner west Sydney RE to court (sales person & principal) for lies that cost me substantial amount of money (at the time).

Well, they settled before the case and came around and wrote me a cheque on the spot (with a bottle of cheap rough red as well....haha)

It would be great if people on the forum refrained from making out the real estate industry and the people working in it are warm & fuzzy types who are really just out to help the community and investors.

Nothing could be further from the truth, until major industry reform happens, nothing will change.

The above might go some way to explain why im a Jenman groupie:)

Ever heard of a "wood duck". takes the advice of the sales person selling them the product! If you insist on listening to sale people at least confirm what is said from an other source. If I believed what I have been told, particularly prior to an auction, it would have cost 1000's. But each to his own :)

I'm out there to make a living.

I love working with serious investors, and am yet to have one call me back and complain that I sold them a dud. Mind you we are coming off the boom!

I'm not out there to help the community, but do give to charity and do volunteer work.

Your negative aura will always transmit itself via the sub concious and the agent who is trained to spot buyers who are liars will sense this (much as a dog can smell fear in a human), and his/her ego will demand that they drag you down a peg, and do everything to rip you off.

The calibre of Jenman operators may not necesserily be any better than others. How many times have they told you the old "I've got someone coming in today to sign up an offer"?
What about the phone call from the mystery buyer (in the next office) just as you are about to put pen to paper?

The Missus reckons I'm extremely warm and fuzzy, but a quick wax will fix the fuzz.

This is a great CAB SAV by the way.

Cheers,
Sam

Ps: Did I ever tell you the one about the bidder that confirmed his bid when the property was declared on the market?
He put in two more bids, the property was knocked down to him. When we went up to congratulate him, he denied that he bid at all and walked away. He later phoned back to buy the property. Upon arrival at our office, he offered $30k less than he bid.
We politely suggested that he go and partake in the art of self induced copulation.
Now his name is blacklisted in every local office.
What a clever little boy.
True story!

I'm with you on that one Brains - THAT SUX

Considering the Agency settled with you out of court indicates their wrongdoing. In the first instance, we all live and learn don't we. Mate, if you've found a salesperson you feel you can trust, Jenman or not, that's great. Just always double check what you are told.

Remember what was first posted, talk to neighbours and a great suggestion, ring the agents that missed out, you never know what you may find out. I would suggest on many occassions you may find the owner has listed with the agent who was the "highest bidder" and the property may well be over-priced.

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

Originally posted by karsal
I'm out there to make a living.

I love working with serious investors, and am yet to have one call me back and complain that I sold them a dud. Mind you we are coming off the boom!

Hi Sam

Property is my living as well. I just have to look at the other side of the coin and try for the lowest posiable price.

I have worked with some agents that have failed to deliver what they said they would, so they failed to get that sale.

I do like doing the rounds of the local residential sales even though they are outside what I would buy at the moment to network. It is surprising the attitude of the agents most seem to be chasing the couples around and leaving me alone to look and learn. Some agents do seem to be more investor tuned in and from what they say have a foot in both camps being investors themselves.

I think once you find an agent/s that know where you are coming from and what you are after they will bring suitable properties to you to look at as they come up rather than you having to go wade through the posiables. I still look even while in savings mode just in case something does show up.

bundy

Back