Moving from Being a Tight A*&e

Thrifty not tight ar$#$$

Thanks again for replies.

Was reading the Berkshire AGM thread - and thinking that Wazza (Mr Buffet, Legend etc.) is the ultimate of what we have all been referring to.

He is worth billions of $'s and yet he lives in the same house he has lived in for the past 60 years (a long time anyway).

Now there is someone that could afford to splurge on the finer things in life but obviously doesnt see the need to.

I wonder if it is a case of he just cant justify it?

Hiya

I also read he is planning to give away more than 90% of his wealth to philanthropic causes .........

He is thrifty not tight a$$^### don't confuse the two!!

In Australia there are many multimillionaires who when they submit their tax returns would not have a single $ donated to charity, how sad:rolleyes:

Now that is what i call tight ar^^$##

Great thread as I was wondering if I fell in the tight backside group.

But, as I buy what I want when I want it - and if I don't want it I don't buy - I think I'm safe. It's just that there is a heck of a lot that I don't want, so I don't buy.

It does come down to justifying - I can't justify buying a brand new car ever couple of years - and am more than happy to buy a 2yr old car every 5-8 years instead. I can't justify buying a european brand car - so more than happy to stick to Toyota.

I can't justify going away somewhere to the beach for holidays when we have the best beaches on the east coast on 5 mins drive away - and a very comfortable house, with all the mod cons and fully stocked, that looks out over said beaches.

It's just that there is a heck of a lot that I don't want, so I don't buy.

I know exactly what you mean. Even stuff that I wouldn't mind getting is put on hold too, because the pain of doing the shopping isn't worth it. (I hate shopping)

Now that I am comfortable I live by the buy well buy once maxim.

Well made, classic pieces of furniture which is more in the short term tends to be cheaper in the long term. Same with clothing. I wear suits for work. I'd prefer to pay $700+ for a well made, well fitting suit tailored to me than $99 for a Kelly Country polyster job that will fall to bits in a short period of time, all while looking abysmal.

But, as I buy what I want when I want it - and if I don't want it I don't buy - I think I'm safe. It's just that there is a heck of a lot that I don't want, so I don't buy.

It's an interesting bit of psychology that when I was young and didn't have any money I always thought that if only I could afford the latest and greatest car, camera etc I would be really happy. Now I am much older, financially comfortable, settled and happy I could afford these things but no longer have any great desire to own them.

It's an interesting bit of psychology that when I was young and didn't have any money I always thought that if only I could afford the latest and greatest car, camera etc I would be really happy. Now I am much older, financially comfortable, settled and happy I could afford these things but no longer have any great desire to own them.

So what you didn't realise in your youth was that what would really make you happy is being that the stage where you have the ability to buy the items.

Not actually wanting the same exact item s as when you were a child /tee / young adult

This happens to kids too.. they WANT something so bad !! They beg an beg for it and plead with you how EVERYONE has one.. you say do this extra work & we will pay you and you can save up for it.. So they do and they do more work and they save more money.. then when the time comes, they look at their little pile of money & remember how long it took an dhow much time they missed watching tv / playing video games and think "I'm not spending that much on that toy"

The exact same thing in adults as in children / teens etc alive & will

I've never been overseas. We never go on holidays, not even short breaks. I've never eaten in a remotely expensive restaurant. My wedding cost all of 50 bucks (registration fee). I don't own a smartphone, tablet, etc.. Neither of us own cars. So forth.

People treat me like I'm some kind of third-world oddity, but I don't feel I'm going without and I don't consider myself tight.

Compared to most people in the world, I'm living pretty OK.

I'm actually embarrassed at how much money I've wasted over the years. And I still do waste money... and I hate it.

I'm too lazy and unmotivated to live on a Kathryn-style budget, but I don't understand why her tightwadding gets under people's skin so much. I've noticed this in 'real life', too. People seem to get annoyed by budgeters. It's as if budgeters are undermining their lifestyle.

I think, possibly, I may become tighter over the years, but for different reasons. It started out as simply wanting to save money, now it's turned into something all together different.

I've never been overseas. We never go on holidays, not even short breaks. I've never eaten in a remotely expensive restaurant. My wedding cost all of 50 bucks (registration fee). I don't own a smartphone, tablet, etc.. Neither of us own cars. So forth.

People treat me like I'm some kind of third-world oddity, but I don't feel I'm going without and I don't consider myself tight.

Compared to most people in the world, I'm living pretty OK.

I'm actually embarrassed at how much money I've wasted over the years. And I still do waste money... and I hate it.

I'm too lazy and unmotivated to live on a Kathryn-style budget, but I don't understand why her tightwadding gets under people's skin so much. I've noticed this in 'real life', too. People seem to get annoyed by budgeters. It's as if budgeters are undermining their lifestyle.

I think, possibly, I may become tighter over the years, but for different reasons. It started out as simply wanting to save money, now it's turned into something all together different.

I don't believe it does

I certainly have not told kathryn that she should change her lifestyle.

I don't believe it does

I certainly have not told kathryn that she should change her lifestyle.

I think it does get under people's skin. I've read the most belittling comments specifically in relation to her budgeting, I'm pretty sure the words 'sad' and 'pathetic' have been thrown around. I'm not jumping to her defense, she's a big girl and enjoys being controversial. Just making an observation.

Anyway, I've seen worse in 'real life'.

I have this theory. People work very, very hard to impress people with the money they have, the stuff they buy and the places they go. When someone doesn't play ball and isn't trying to keep up with the Joneses, they feel their hard work isn't being acknowledged. That's when the snarkiness comes into play.

I know you won't agree with me, Jaycee, but you're the first to allow us all our opinions.

I think it does get under people's skin. I've read the most belittling comments specifically in relation to her budgeting, I'm pretty sure the words 'sad' and 'pathetic' have been thrown around. I'm not jumping to her defense, she's a big girl and enjoys being controversial. Just making an observation.

Anyway, I've seen worse in 'real life'.

I have this theory. People work very, very hard to impress people with the money they have, the stuff they buy and the places they go. When someone doesn't play ball and isn't trying to keep up with the Joneses, they feel their hard work isn't being acknowledged. That's when the snarkiness comes into play.

I know you won't agree with me, Jaycee, but you're the first to allow us all our opinions.

Of course that happens

We all think we're beyond ever acting like that, but we are not. Whether we are frugal or whether we are over consumers - chopping down what we love to call tall poppies in Australia is exactly that is it not ?

Of course that happens

We all think we're beyond ever acting like that, but we are not. Whether we are frugal or whether we are over consumers - chopping down what we love to call tall poppies in Australia is exactly that is it not ?

Indeed, it's our unofficial national sport. No-one is immune to its allure.

I think it works both ways (in terms of the getting under the skin).

The reality is we all have different priorities.... My parents in law celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary by going to lunch together at Mcdonalds. I think that is really sad, but that is because in my family, "celebration" is a cornerstone of who we are. But they were perfectly happy with their choice.

As much as we would like to think we can see things from others viewpoints, most of us have a tendency to be judgemental. Its just as difficult for my parents in law to understand why its not a waste of money to have a party as it is for me to understand how spending $10 is a valid celebration.

I think there is also a tendency to "brag" about being a tightarse as much as there is about bragging about spending... maybe even more so at times! I'm perfectly aware that I spend money on unnecessary things, but thats because for me time is money. Generally, if you want to spend less money, you have to spend more time to achieve what you want to do. To be able to "afford" to be frugal, you have to have time available. To me, those who are ultra-frugal seem to often be judgemental about how I spend my time, rather than how I spend my money.

I think there is also a tendency to "brag" about being a tightarse as much as there is about bragging about spending... maybe even more so at times! I'm perfectly aware that I spend money on unnecessary things, but thats because for me time is money. Generally, if you want to spend less money, you have to spend more time to achieve what you want to do. To be able to "afford" to be frugal, you have to have time available. To me, those who are ultra-frugal seem to often be judgemental about how I spend my time, rather than how I spend my money.

We have a tendency to brag about anything and everything. To quote Monty Python, 'There were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road'.

And, yes, we're all a bit judgmental, it's just the way we were built.

I've never actually considered the time element in frugality. I didn't imagine not spending money could be time consuming, but I guess shopping at cheaper stores and cooking one's own food does require time. And for the especially busy, I guess they'd need cleaners and the like.

How we spend our time and money is nobody's business, yet I think we've all been on the giving and receiving end of that stick.

We have a tendency to brag about anything and everything. To quote Monty Python, 'There were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road'.

And, yes, we're all a bit judgmental, it's just the way we were built.

I've never actually considered the time element in frugality. I didn't imagine not spending money could be time consuming, but I guess shopping at cheaper stores and cooking one's own food does require time. And for the especially busy, I guess they'd need cleaners and the like.
How we spend our time and money is nobody's business, yet I think we've all been on the giving and receiving end of that stick.

(I am referring to Pennyk's post..but highlighting your response )
I think that is untrue.
People shop for hours in stores buying expensive clothes.(or online)
People spend as much time buying food, not on sale.
Cooking from scratch takes very little time, unless you are making gourmet meals.

Many say their time is worth more, thus hiring a house cleaner.
No it isn't. They just don't like cleaning.

(I am referring to Pennyk's post..but highlighting your response )
I think that is untrue.
People shop for hours in stores buying expensive clothes.(or online)
People spend as much time buying food, not on sale.
Cooking from scratch takes very little time, unless you are making gourmet meals.

Many say their time is worth more, thus hiring a house cleaner.
No it isn't. They just don't like cleaning.

Some people make $100/hour and hire a cleaner for $30

It does happen

No one is suggesting someone one minimum wage live up to someone on $200k nett income

No am I nowhere near $200k nett income, I am close to average that's it.

Do people HAVE to like cleaning to what ? live right ?

Some people make $100/hour and hire a cleaner for $30

It does happen

No one is suggesting someone one minimum wage live up to someone on $200k nett income

No am I nowhere near $200k nett income, I am close to average that's it.

Do people HAVE to like cleaning to what ? live right ?

I just have a problem when someone says "my time is worth more than..."
No their time is not, unless they are working from the time they get until they go to bed. In between, there is work, and leisure time.
House/yard work is done during leiseure time.

It would be more accurate to say "I hate housework, and would rather pay to have somone else do it"

To be able to "afford" to be frugal, you have to have time available. To me, those who are ultra-frugal seem to often be judgemental about how I spend my time, rather than how I spend my money.

It really gets down to opportunity cost and whether or not there is something better you could be doing with your time and money (which is a very subjective decision). Another analogy from a property perspective would include:

Conducting own Due Diligence, or outsourcing to a Buyers Advocate who can do it for you.

Managing own property as opposed to getting a property manager to do it.

Doing a majority of work on a renovation yourself, as opposed to outsourcing it.

In each of the above examples - we maintain more $'s in our own pocket, however have less time to do other things.

It really gets down to opportunity cost and whether or not there is something better you could be doing with your time and money (which is a very subjective decision). Another analogy from a property perspective would include:

Conducting own Due Diligence, or outsourcing to a Buyers Advocate who can do it for you.

Managing own property as opposed to getting a property manager to do it.

Doing a majority of work on a renovation yourself, as opposed to outsourcing it.

In each of the above examples - we maintain more $'s in our own pocket, however have less time to do other things.

As soon as you start saying that, there will be "my time is better spent making $$$$ chasing deals, than bothering with that stuff"

Most people do not think like us frugal /tightwads/tightarses.
Their time is always worth more (so they think)

Back