Moving To Brisbane from Sydeny/ where to buy?

Hi all,
I am moving from Sydney to Brisbane for work, I currently live in the Sutherland Shire in the south of Sydney.
Ideally I would like an area similar to the sutherland shire up there but know cross city comparissons don't really work.
My wants are a free standing house, atleast 4 bedrooms,not on a main road, we have a young growing family, so schools would be a consideration and most likely would want a pool and or entertaining area.
My budget I would like to stay around the 500-625k.

Any ideas or suggestion of suburbd would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance Ricflair

On the northside I would go Albany Creek 4035 and Eatons Hill 4037. (I am biased). EH is the best of the state primary schools and there are lots of private schools nearby and with bus access. Hillbrook Anglican School and Mt Maria Catholic schools at Enoggera are within easy reach.

Thanks for your replies, I will be working at Lytton. I would be happy to drive up to 30 to 40 mins, I have been told that is all it takes around Brissy but understand the drives may be longer for the price bracket I've suggested
Appreciate your replies could you also include approx drive time to Lytton from suggested locations.

And would probably want to avoid flood prone ares, I'm figuring it may be hard to get insurance in the future?

Thanks in advance

OK< Lytton is on the southside of the river and east of the CBD. You will get lovely areas around Redlands, Wynnum, Carindale and anywhere on the east side to the Bay.

Forget Northside and anywhere west of the big Motorway. Mansfield is close to Creek Rd and Newman Rds, so would be doable, and Mt Gravatt is also a good long-term investment performer. But as Invstor said, a long way from Lytton. There are many lovely suburbs on the Bay and a short drive to work for you to peruse.

I used to live in Carindale, which is a good suburb. Most suburbs on the east side of Brisbane are fantastic to live in. Wynumm, Manly and bayside suburbs will probably be the most ideal for you.

Mansfield may still be doable, there is easy access to Gateway Motorway and it looks like Lytton exit is just before toll. you would want to research your work hours and see if there is congestion or not on the motorway at those times. Carindale area is nice too. Parts of Carina flood, so if you look around there make sure you research. Check whereis for approx travel times.
These links may help
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_Motorway
http://bettereducation.com.au/school/secondary/qld/brisbane_top_secondary_schools.aspx
http://bettereducation.com.au/school/Primary/qld/brisbane_top_primary_schools.aspx

I've read on the net comment like Wynnum is full of thieves etc. Is there any truth to this or parts of Wynnum worth avoiding......
Also suburbs like ORMISTON and WELLINGTON POINT seem fair value, are these places any good for young families etc. or would people avoid these for any reason
Manly reads like a lovely suburb and seem like the pick, I could stretch my budget if it was an awesome place to live

All those suburbs you mention would be good. I've never heard about Wynnum being a problem. We were there this week having lunch a a little cafe. It is very much still like a sleepy little town.

Wellington point and manly would be the picks. I hear bad stories of hoons and feral neighbors in wynnum. It does have a bit of a bogan feel. I have a few friends that live at Wellington Point. They love it. They would all be around 40 with kids. Their would be a few posts on this site from LynnH on those areas.
My friends girlfriend lives at Wynnum so it's a very recent update.

Last edited:
I am looking in Mansfield and you would get a renovated, two storey brick/rendered house on 550-650m2, possibly with pool for the price range you have mentioned.

Not a lot of stock on the market right now though. Hopefully it picks up during spring.

It would be about 20mins drive up the gateway motorway to lytton (not counting traffic) from Mansfield/Mount Gravatt.

Manly would be good if you want to be near the water and is much closer to lytton. However, you may not get as much house for your money, and you are further from the Bris CBD if that's an issue. Plane noise might also come into play.

I bought a house in Wynnum about two and a half years ago and have loved living there. I only moved out last month due to my wife and I separating. It's a great place for couple and families. Very relaxed, you feel like you are way out of the city but you are only 20kms away. Three train stations in Wynnum and one in Manly. Wynnum is about three times the size of Manly, but bear in mind the council, I believe, is rezoning parts of the Wynnum foreshore to Manly.

Wynnum gets it's rough name primarily from Wynnum West. You do need to be careful where in Wynnum you buy. Buy as close to the Manly side and obviously the closer to the water the better, you may just land yourself a Manly address in the next couple of years. The avenues and terraces are the best streets to buy.

There are heaps of schools, transport, shops, and Wynnum is due for a facelift pretty soon with the council putting money into doing up the main business district. I will be hopefully renting my property out in January and will get good rent for it. I may even be pursuaded to sell to you privately:cool::D

Last edited:
Back