My Champ

We just had a great weekend. Drove up to Tamworth on Friday afternoon so that my youngest, Emily 10, could compete in the NSW Country Womens Artistic Gymnastics Championships. She is in Level Four Open.

She trains so hard - about 12 hours per week. None of that is due to a pushy family. She just loves it.

She won Gold on the Beam and Silver on both the Floor and Bars. Her vault was a PB but didn't score her a place.

She is very little for her age and her height is off the charts. She also lacks the weight to get off the tramp effectively and the height to handle the vault as well as others. But she tries so hard.

In her last two meets she came second and third overall purely because her vault score was so low. Even though she had Golds and Silvers for all the other skills. So she has been practising and practising her vaulting technique really hard. And it paid off this weekend.

But the best part was the Overall Placings.

She was First Place

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1905&cat=500&ppuser=72

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1904&limit=recent

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words and the Kudos.

My girls really are an inspiration to me. The eldest was offered a place at the local Selective School this time last year but chose to accept an Academic Scholarship to the local Grammar School. I don't think she realises the magnitude of her achievement - This scholarship is worth upwards of $60K tax free. She just loves her school and I am sure she made the right choice - not that there would have been a wrong one :)

The youngest - well you saw my first post in this thread. Despite being shorter than 99.9% of kids her age, having two vertebra fused in utero and a turned in foot she continues to amaze me with her Gymnastic achievements. She goes onto Growth Hormones soon and that involves daily injections. Nothing too bad in the scheme of things and a lot of kids are far worse off. I am sure I wouldn't have bravely accepted that outcome at age 10. Her mother did promise her a puppy though which has got to help ...

And of course not to mention my wife who finishes medical school next month and achieves a life long dream.

Both of us came from a less privileged background, never much money but always opportunities. Looks like our kids are making the most of their opportunities and reminding us that we should continue to seek and embrace them.

I reckon they will both end up as pretty decent young women.

I am a lucky bloke.

Simon, congratulations to you and to your daughter. As a dad myself I think I can comprehend the pride you feel right now, no feeling is better :) :)

Congratulations Simon, Emily, & all of your family.

I say the whole family as generally there are sacrifices to be made at different times for different members of the household for one to be successful.

It is a great feeling to see your children excelling at any event, be it sport, academic or otherwise (always prefer the sporting events personally, lol).

Regards
Marty

Congratulations Simon, Emily, & all of your family.

I say the whole family as generally there are sacrifices to be made at different times for different members of the household for one to be successful.

Regards
Marty

Tell me about it mate ...

Training alone sees me doing 200km per week.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Also add my congratulations to your daughter....you have obviously every reason to be proud of her achievements, particularly as she had physical issues to overcome- fantastic!!!!

Woohoo Simon!

That is awesome news and I congratulate you on your daughter's success. I am sure you inspire her with your support and love. Well done!!

Dale

Great post Simon,

Thanks for posting the photos as well; Love watching the Gymnastics at the olympics, its amazing what people can do with the human body

Great post Simon. If the last couple of years has taught me anything, its that having offspring, win or lose, and to be able to watch them grow, is just about the best thing that can happen to you :cool:

Hey Emily and sister (psst Simon, what's her name?),

Congratulations! I'm very very proud of you and your awesome achievements, you've done really really well - no doubt with extremely supportive parents. Let's not forget Simon's wife who has been working very diligently for a very long time now to become a doctor.

Hey Simon, you've always been one of the Top 3 people I most respect on this forum and this thread just cements that resolve. Congratulations mate, you've done a terrific job!

Mark

Well done Simon and Emily....both proud as punch I imagine. Tis tough overcoming obstacles...you and your wife have obviously inspired her.

cheers
Sharon

Congratulations Emily!

Well Done! :D

My 2 year old little Emily was inspired by pictures of a "big girl" also called Emily doing gymnastics.

Thanks for sharing Simon!

Just had the State Gala this morning down in Sydney.

Em won Gold on Beam and Floor and a fourth place on Bars. Unfortunately her 14th place on vault saw her pipped into second place overall by a bees dick. She was just one minor fault off first place overall.

She is just too small to do the same vaults as the other girls. She looks like getting onto the growth hormone programme soon which should help her catch up. Luckily they don't dope test the little kids ....

She is a real champ! She is being advanced into the National Squad next year I believe. She is so motivated - shame she doesn't approach her school work with the same level of enthusiasm!

Last edited:
Thats an awesome effort - I've seen her feats in person, and she's a very gifted gymnast.

Im just glad, above all else, she gets her looks from her mother.

Jamie.

Back