My daughter was at the receiving end of a racist attack

A great read over the 2 pages so far with some excellent well balanced comments put forward.

Controversial comment coming up!!

Australia is the most racist Country I have ever experienced!

Believe me I have travelled the World and am no shrinking violet. 12 years in the British Army including tours of Northern Ireland in the height of the troubles so my social thermometer and street sharpness are very well tuned and I am anything but sensitive.

I have spent extended times in South Africa, Middle East, Asia and I am gob smacked by some of the comments I have heard here in Oz these last 2+ years

People being called and I excuse my language in advance.

Kaffers
Wog's
N word
Pork Chops (Which i presume is in reference to people from Portugal)
Spiks
etc etc

If you think there is something derogatory with people labeling people this way, it would appear you are the racist, as you are implying they are inferior by suggesting it is racist. There is too much political correctness BS. Ive travelled the world too with an Asian wife I can tell you there are countries far more racist than Australia. I ve only experienced racism here twice and that was 25 years ago. Racism is usually a cop out for some other personality defect How people treat you is a reflection of you own attitude.

Wow Buster,

I will take 2 of whatever pills you are taking!

I would love to understand how you can go from me making an observation on some of the language I hear on a regular basis here in Australia to working out that I am racist? I am sure experts would have a field day with your logic and justification for such a sweeping statement.

As I have said in my previous posts my observation is that Australia's attitude towards the subject is still in the denial stage. For the record I am not saying that is a bad thing, one of the things I love about Oz is the lack of Political Correctness and the ability to say what you feel and share a cold one after it. Trust me that is refreshing rather than walking on egg shells around the subject.

What about my Aussie mate who went back to Scotland with his jock wife and spent the whole night in the Glasgow Rangers supporters club in his best green and white tee shirt wondering why no one would talk to him! I would'nt fancy my chances in Glasgow on a Saturday night in my best England shirt either despite the fact that Longshanks probably caused more misery to my ancestors than yours.(Thanks for that Mel Gibson).

Glasgow is Scotlands soul laid out for all to see sadly Mush.

Massive devide related to religion and you would be suprised that a large element of the Rangers fan base class themselves as "British" rather than Scottish and the sales of England tops in Glasgow is huge for that very reason, and the fact the Scottish team are mince....;)

Lots of horrendous stories of young guys walking back from Old Firm Games with their green jacket or jumper on and being attacked/stabbed etc underneath they are wearing a Rangers Top and vice versa for Celtic Fans.

It really is a massive drain on Scotland as a whole which I am glad my kids have some distance from.

Surprised your mates green/white top wasn't helpfully removed for him by shaking him by his ankles ;)

Glasgow is Scotlands soul laid out for all to see sadly Mush.

Massive devide related to religion and you would be suprised that a large element of the Rangers fan base class themselves as "British" rather than Scottish and the sales of England tops in Glasgow is huge for that very reason, and the fact the Scottish team are mince....;)

Lots of horrendous stories of young guys walking back from Old Firm Games with their green jacket or jumper on and being attacked/stabbed etc underneath they are wearing a Rangers Top and vice versa for Celtic Fans.

It really is a massive drain on Scotland as a whole which I am glad my kids have some distance from.

Surprised your mates green/white top wasn't helpfully removed for him by shaking him by his ankles ;)

That is interesting Scotty,I did not think that you would see an England top being worn in Glasgow and despite their strong loyalist views I did'nt know that so many Rangers fans considered themselves to be British.

My Aussie mate got off the hook because he is a true blue Aussie and they realised that he was truly blissfully ignorant.

Your kids could'nt be in a much better place in my humble opinion.....

Interesting to see how many people here teach their daughters how to behave like ferals instead of ladies.

At least the OPs husband has some decency.

Interesting to see how many people here teach their daughters how to behave like ferals instead of ladies.
And the scary thing is; the ferals and other miscreants are reproducing at a much higher rate than yer Glen Iris, Hawthorn or Double Bay based barrister/surgeon, or school teacher from the burbs or other more desirable and productive Citizens around the world.

There are of course words which are used in a hateful and offensive manner, but I doubt I'd label Australia racist because people call others Pork Chops...*

Gosh - we even call ourselves Cockroaches and Cane Toads and Mexicans ... it's just how Australian's are ... throw in some Pommy's and Sheep (ahem's) - a Septic Tank or two - and we can hardly be called white racists for our terminology.

I wouldn't call the majority of Australian's racist - and, when said in the fond larrikin manner that is typical Australian, if some are to quick to take offence, and claim racism where there is none, surely it is their problem.

Unfortunately it takes a small minority, who use the words as a weapon, to ruin it for everyone

Last edited:
Lizzie, 25 years ago I would have agreed with you, but that was before I got married and my name changed to an Asian one. Sadly, I find Australia horribly racist, not so much in an overt in-your-face way but it runs like a dirty undercurrent through most parts of society. Just lurking below the surface.

I know how I was treated before, so I know how I would like to see my husband and kids treated, but there is a huge difference.

The worst is seeing it happen to your kids. You bring up your kids to have manners and be polite etc and then bam some ******* verbally attacks them. Especially when they are little and it's the first time. I will never forget having to explain to my daughter why another mother called her a " f@cking black cow" and wouldn't let her kids play with her.

Think about having to do that with your child. Just think about it. Explaining that mummy and daddy loved each other but lots of people thought they shouldn't get married and so like to call our kids names. Think about explaining that to a young child. How do you make sense of that to them?

How do you keep their self-esteem buoyant when every time they look in the mirror they can see why they are treated differently? When every day at school they are called names (as an aussie, larakin joke, of course :rolleyes:).

I also think that racism and how it feels to the victim is not something that you can understand unless you have personally experienced it. so it is easy to call someone precious and tell them to harden up about something you have not experienced. A bit like if you haven't had a parent die, you don't know what it feel like. you can empathise but you don't really know, or how childbirth feels - until you have done it you don't really know.

It does hearten me to see so many positive responses to the original post, and I live in the hope that in the future everyone will be so mixed that this won't happen anymore. To anyone.:)

I understand what you're saying Joan ... and unfortunately no amount of government policy will change how a small minority of idiots behave towards their fellow humans.

However, Australians have always taken the "mickey", used rhyming slang, and nicknamed their mates (my hubby's nickname at work is onions) or other cultures. This does not make them racist - although the idiots may use the word in a racist manner.

You only have to look at the Italian immigrants, mid century, who were called wogs as a derogatory term - the Italian's took the word, claimed it as there own, accepted the humour and now it's not derogatory (assuming you can even pick an Italian out in the crowd) - however, it did take time and self confidence of the Italians to move towards this.

Racism is caused by fear and ignorance and, as a country, there have been a lot of new cultures arriving on our shores - unfortunately some of them bring their religious or clan problems from their country of origin and, when settling on-mass in a specific area, this can be compounded.

It will take new settlers time and self confidence to overcome the minority of twits - but it will happen after another generation or two. Be encouraged by the majority of accepters.

Hey, I'm as white-y as they come and I still cop the odd abusive shout about something - I don't know what they say as I simply don't listen and keep walking. A white ranga friend who is a bus driver was shouted at that she was fat and ugly (and a few other things) by a peeved off fare evader - there are a portion of angry people in the world picking for a fight and they will chose what they think are easy targets based purely on their identifiable differences. Sadly they pick on the young or females because they think they can't fight back.

However, the government doesn't help. I don't understand the drama about allowing women to wear the Islamic head dress. I'm not a supporter of the full face covering, but who am I to dictate and demand whilst I bare my legs and wear trousers.

As one who has also travelled - I believe most of Australia is extremely tolerant. We have nothing on South Africa or deep south North America.

Although I can understand cynicism caused by stereotypes - felt some myself yesterday as I read about a prime piece of real estate that was handed over by the government to an Aboriginal Land Council after a land claim, only to be sold off for many millions within a short space of time - and the money - so obviously the land that they claimed heritage to wasn't actually important to them but rather the money.

Sigh. One day every person in the world will be varying degrees of a delicious coffee brown.

I find that the level of Australian racism is inversely proportional to the amount of education a person has. Most well educated people I know are not racist at all, whereas the uneducated tend to be more 'dey took our jerbs'.

It's not a hard and fast rule, but certainly an observable tendency.

I've found plenty of racism overseas as well, especially amongst Indian and Middle Eastern people.

I've found plenty of racism overseas as well, especially amongst Indian and Middle Eastern people.

Every country could be called "racist".
But then again where is the definition of race?
More like nationalist.
Humans have always been territorial.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find that the level of Australian racism is inversely proportional to the amount of education a person has. Most well educated people I know are not racist at all, whereas the uneducated tend to be more 'dey took our jerbs'.

This does seem to be correct in my experience, sadly. I do often wonder if we had lived in a more affluent area that our kids experience would have been different? *sigh* and then you get the folks like PB who like to blame the victim..........also very common in Australia (especially against women, but that's a whole other thread isn't it?)

or maybe it's the fact that educated people have more to lose from being openly racist so they keep their thoughts to themselves?

or maybe it's the fact that educated people have more to lose from being openly racist so they keep their thoughts to themselves?
educated folk are - generally - civilised and operate at the higher-end of human intelligence and behaviour, career and wealth.

They tend to have better manners, dress better, are less likely to be criminals, less likely to be violent, less likely to be a burden on society generally, more productive,

And so on.

I've worked in a stack of different places in my 50 odd years, and as a rule, the places which have the larger majority of folk who are intelligent, educated, wealthy (not even wealthy) are much more pleasant to be around in every aspect of living, have class and respect for others.

They usually don't openly display any sort of bias or dislike of various sectors of humanity, because they have had an upbringing of decorum, respect and so on.

I would wager that those young blokes who were abusing that Asian descendant girl were from the opposite of the above type families.

Last edited:
Back