My dream PPOR is for sale by auction - and I can't afford to buy ...

DebtJunkie, I hope you're still reading this thread. Thinking big is a VERY important part of this whole investing thing. It sounds cliche but if you can't dream it you won't achieve it. If you really are content with $25k a year passive income, that's great. Some people are like that, but if you find out later on that you're actually NOT satisfied with $25k a year........ wouldn't it be better to be safe than sorry? You're fairly young, right? If you end up having more money than you want, go donate it to charity or something. Either way, it's always better to have more money than you want (though I haven't met many people like that) than less.
Alex

see, it would be nice but first thing I thought of was the houses were not child friendly. I don't want a swimming pool either....my husband pulled out a mouse, frogs, spiders and all sorts from the filter. The one in front of the beach is too close to the beach..I don't mind one 5 mins walk away but that's too close....i've had reoccurring nightmares of tsunami since i was little!

i'd rather go to bali, phuket, langkawi etc a few times a year for beach, relaxation and food. It's cheaper than buying a $2mil property.

but if you do buy one, plz invite us over for a barbie and a swim! :)

see, it would be nice but first thing I thought of was the houses were not child friendly. I don't want a swimming pool either....my husband pulled out a mouse, frogs, spiders and all sorts from the filter. The one in front of the beach is too close to the beach..I don't mind one 5 mins walk away but that's too close....i've had reoccurring nightmares of tsunami since i was little!

One does assume when I can afford a house like that I can also afford to hire a pool guy. Clontarf is not facing the ocean but a deep inlet: it's not facing the ocean or anything. But that's just semantics: you can find a mansion inland if you want. The question is whether a mansion is part of your goals.

i'd rather go to bali, phuket, langkawi etc a few times a year for beach, relaxation and food. It's cheaper than buying a $2mil property.

That's the great thing about my goal. I won't CARE about money at that point! Cheap and expensive (within certain, very high limitations) won't mean anything.
Alex

DebtJunkie, I hope you're still reading this thread. Thinking big is a VERY important part of this whole investing thing. It sounds cliche but if you can't dream it you won't achieve it. If you really are content with $25k a year passive income, that's great. Some people are like that, but if you find out later on that you're actually NOT satisfied with $25k a year........ wouldn't it be better to be safe than sorry? You're fairly young, right? If you end up having more money than you want, go donate it to charity or something. Either way, it's always better to have more money than you want (though I haven't met many people like that) than less.
Alex

Oh yeah, I'm still here. I think I've become a postaholic ... can't seem to avoid commenting on things ...

Totally agree that you should dream big ... but for me that isn't about the amount of money, that's about getting enough ASAP so I can stop working full-time, with 40 as the target. (Current age = 34, fairly young, eh, but older than some ;) ). I know what's comfy living for me - $25K, anything above that is a bonus - and yes, I'm aiming for above that, in my lazy 'would be nice' fashion :D

Crunch time though is about health and work - and whether the two can continue to go together. When that time comes (and it will), then hopefully I'll have enough and will run for the hills! Or drop down to part-time work in a different field ...

DJ

Wylie, I love the look of the houses on Percival Tce, and others I have seen in various suburbs of that same era. I have never seen the inside of them though so can't comment but the exteriors remind me of English cottages in the fairy tale books I used to love as a child - I can just imagine a nice old granny living in them who bakes cookies etc.

Sue, I have to agree with you re the cleaning. We walked around a new development on Sunday and checked out a few McMansions (not to buy - just looking at vanity styles for our reno) and all I could think about was the amount of cleaning that would need to be done! That and the fact you would need to buy 3 lounge suites and 2 dining suites so the place dosn't look empty LOL. One two storey that looked nice enough would actually need some sort of scaffolding constructed internally to clean the upper floor windows and change the light bulbs - totally impossible to clean.

Sue, I have to agree with you re the cleaning. We walked around a new development on Sunday and checked out a few McMansions (not to buy - just looking at vanity styles for our reno) and all I could think about was the amount of cleaning that would need to be done! That and the fact you would need to buy 3 lounge suites and 2 dining suites so the place dosn't look empty LOL. One two storey that looked nice enough would actually need some sort of scaffolding constructed internally to clean the upper floor windows and change the light bulbs - totally impossible to clean.

There are people you can pay to clean for you :) Although in practice we have found it quite difficult to find someone who will clean to our (rather high?) required standards :confused:

Cheers,

The Y-man

Y-Man ...are you sure about that place? I could feel it bringing out the greek in me - those marble columns and all ... not so sure about the Egyptian statues. Perhaps a nude sculpture, throwing a discus ....

DJ

If you are really serious about wanting this house, then start imagining you live in it. After a while, does it still come up to your expectations?

If the answer is yes, then start planning on what stage in your life you might like to own it. Will it be a keeper, or will you get tired of it after a while and move onto bigger things.

Still like it hey? Well, get on with figuring out how and when you are going to get it. It might not be next week, but what if it pops up in 10yrs time? Will you be ready then? :D

Couldn't help myself ....just emailed hubby at work to tell him I found our PPOR. Told him to give Mr Howard a quick call and ask for a pay rise I would have a chat to the bank...

www.realestate.com.au Property No. 104126315

Oh and we have kids so he would have to buy that little grass block in front so they would have somewhere to play on their swing set. :D

What a mansion, but it is not my cup of tea either. Bit too cold and marbly for me. I think it is really interesting to see the different types of houses that appeal to us.

My first question when going through the photos is "what happens when someone builds on the block in front and spoils the view?"

Wylie

What a mansion, but it is not my cup of tea either. Bit too cold and marbly for me. I think it is really interesting to see the different types of houses that appeal to us.

My first question when going through the photos is "what happens when someone builds on the block in front and spoils the view?"

Wylie

The best part of this gorgeous house would be the view and that is why you would also have to buy that "little grass square" in front of it, as well. I guess if you could afford that house, another couple of million to get the extra land to ensure the view doesn't disappear would be no great hardship!!
A water view is what I'm aiming for for our PPOR; not a canal or man made type water view, but the ocean, and preferably one where you see the beach through palm fronds and can walk right onto the beach too!!
ONE DAY - very soon!!:)

The best part of this gorgeous house would be the view and that is why you would also have to buy that "little grass square" in front of it, as well....

I had considered this one, but did not put it on my shortlist - as the block was too small. Didn't consider the idea of buying the block in front though.... :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

If you are really serious about wanting this house, then start imagining you live in it. After a while, does it still come up to your expectations?

I do love the house, it's gorgeous, and almost in the perfect position ;) so no, not quite up to expectations.

You're spot on ... imagining myself living there is good, but imagining myself staying put in my current PPOR is better. I can't put into words the satisfaction I get from a wander around the back garden, checking out the fruit trees I've planted, inspecting for new fruit, eating it!! ... I can't possibly leave that behind!

Maybe that house, that suburb, my yard!! Not possible!!

But I'm happy with that, I think ten years from now, I'm going to want to be here ... Still, I might still pop by on Saturday and see how the auction goes!

DJ

Y-Man ...are you sure about that place? I could feel it bringing out the greek in me - those marble columns and all ... not so sure about the Egyptian statues. Perhaps a nude sculpture, throwing a discus ....

DJ

Well, I do currently live in a house built by an Italian after all...

Ok, how abou this one then? Just came on the market. I think the back yard will be big enough....

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?fslm=1&a=o&id=104351952&t=res

Cheers,

The Y-man

Back