My first IP!

Hi everyone, not sure this is the right place to post this, but my offer for my 1st IP has just been accepted! ( I know it's not official yet, I could be gazumped in the last minute etc, however I just could resist sharing this exciting ( for me at least, being a first timer) news with you all. I have been reading posts on this forum and getting some very useful info and tips, I think I should introduce myself to this wonderful community.

1) about me - an overseas student came here by myself 8 years ago (20), followed the usual route to get my degree and job, then worked my a$$ off to build and pay off my first home last year, married and just had a baby..:) Always interested in wealth building, and wish I could've started earlier, however didn't really start until Feb this year when I had my first meeting with the broker to talk about the investment oppertunity. ( I am bit slow I admit, I don't action until I know what I am getting into and what do I need to do achieve my goals etc ). I am a project manager by trade, so I even did a cost model for my first investment detailing all costs that I could come up with through talking to agents, city council, builder, town planner, friends, neighbours of the property I am buying. Again, I am slow.. :) but dedicated, have been up till 3AM just to do my homework ( couldn't do much at work, boss sitting behind me. lol )

2) about the property - it's a 2 bedroom house on a 640sqm land in Bell Park, Geelong, a typical development site. The exisiting house is in a very good condition, the PM I spoke to told me it could be rented out for $280 PCW easily without any work done to it, with the purchase price and some of my savings, this is a postive geared IP as is. I have started discussing the development plan with a builder/architect to build a 3 bedroom /double garage at the back, it could be rented for $340 pcw once done.

3) furture plan - I am planning to hold onto these two properties (being my 1st and 2nd IP's, hmmmm, am I getting emoitonally attached now ? lol) and my future purchases provided they are positively geared I am not a big fan of selling, I want to buy, build/hold and refinace the equity for furture purchases, more than happy to be corrected on my strategy. :)

4) here comes the question.. you can see I am still new lol. I haven't signed the contract yet, waiting it to be checked by my convencyer, however it will take a while due to the long weekend. Is it Ok that I pay the depsoit now just to show that I am serious ? or the deposit is not paied until the contract is signed ?

Again, thanks for reading this long post, exciting time ahead, I am looking forward to make friends here and learn from eveybody. Have a great easter weekend!

Nothing wrong with building two units and keeping them...pretty standard stuff. Then you can access equity later through a loan increase or refi.

Paying the deposit is a good idea to show you are serious. The cooling off period is 3 business days so you will have until Thursday to pull out if you do not want to proceed (losing 0.2%). The alternative is to insert a finance clause so you can pull out with penalty at all if you cannot get finance in the timeframe allocated. Talk to your broker about your position but given you have paid off your house finance should not really be an issue.

Nothing wrong with building two units and keeping them...pretty standard stuff. Then you can access equity later through a loan increase or refi.

Paying the deposit is a good idea to show you are serious. The cooling off period is 3 business days so you will have until Thursday to pull out if you do not want to proceed (losing 0.2%). The alternative is to insert a finance clause so you can pull out with penalty at all if you cannot get finance in the timeframe allocated. Talk to your broker about your position but given you have paid off your house finance should not really be an issue.

Thanks Araon.
The alternative is to insert a finance clause so you can pull out with penalty at all
did you mean without penalty ? :confused:

Just spoke to the agent, I will pay $1000 holding cost now and the remaining deposit to be paid when I sign the contract next week, once it's checked by my convenycer. The deal is subject to finance and building/pest inspection, which is being done tomorrow. So it sounds good to me. :)

Back