My Great Grandfather

Hi All,

I am posting a photo of my great grandfather.

He served in France in WW1, and I am told that this photo was taken on Anzac day after then.

Judging by his clothing and the background, is anyone able to help me put a date on when this photo may have been taken?

I have only just discovered that he served in the war due to the fact that my grandmother has not wanted to discuss her father as he abandoned the family soon after returning from the war.

His name was James Alexander.

Thank you

Glenn Mott

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3174&ppuser=352

Hi Glenn
My grandfather served in WWII and we were able to obtain his full service history, photos etc by writing to the Defence Forces. My brother took care of all the details, this was a few years ago so I am sure there would be something easier on the internet to contact/write to. I guess you would need full names, DOB etc etc - these would be found on the birth certificates of your relevant parent.

For what it is worth, soldiers coming back from this war were treated with little respect, even though they were very badly mentally and physically damaged. There was no such thing as counselling, and the health services and benefits were pathetic, and a constant battle to get any help. My grandfather died in his forties, he was never a well man once he returned - he was only 17 when he signed up. He hated talking about the war, and wouldn't even set a mouse trap because he had seen so much killing.

No doubt your grandmother was badly affected, but try not to blame your great grandfather for it, that war was dreadful - with the amount of killing and trench warfare, illness and disease, I dont think society would cope with such a war today! We go into panic mode when we lose 1 soldier, let alone the 1000's that were killed in that war! We must never forget!

Last edited:
Hi Glenn,

You can go online or phone the AWM and obtain a copy of your Great Grandfathers service records. The record would provide information regarding where he was posted with dates etc. To obtain this information you will need his full name, DOB and service number - note that some men in this generation lied about their age so that they could serve. You can see some records online for free if the records have been scanned and if not you have to pay a nominal fee to get a paper copy sent in the mail.

Hopefully this would narrow the time frame down on when your photo was taken as you could determine where he was from the records within reason.

Hope this helps,

http://www.awm.gov.au/research/infosheets/intro_military_service.asp

You might want to do a record search on www.naa.gov.au (the Australian archives). If you know your g-grandads middle name, or his wife's name, or perhaps his place of birth, you should be able to narrow down your search (I'd imagine the names James and Alexander would bring up a lot of records, so the more info you can input into the search function the better your chances of success). Can't help with dating the photo, there is nothing on Google re the name of the company shown in the background. Judging from his age I'd say it was taken in the 1930's or even 40's - then again, when was your g-granny born, you'd imagine he would be the same sort of age as her.

His service number would be engraved around the edge of his medals if they could be found.

Shouldn't be too nosey though. Many Great War (correct title, there was never going to be another) vets kept those memories to themselves. Some opened up on Anzac Day, others never did. My Dad only opened up once that I know of.

my grandfather served in ww2 as a bomber pilot in europe and then the middle east. he never spoke of his service and couldn't bring himself to attend an anzac parade until in his 70's.

it wasn't until after he died, and his log books etc came to light that we realised how awful it must have been - various entries about being surrounded by ackack fire and unable to see where they were going; having to turn back when struck; being blackmarked for landing the wrong way on the runway during an emergency landing etc.

we have also heard some wonderful heroic stories from others about his actions during the war.

i think it really hit home for us when told that only he and one other, were the only pilots to survive the war from his entire training group - and the other pilot was severely injured, losing both his legs.

i also knew several guys who had served on the ground in vietnam - there stories of what went on in the jungle are to horrific to even post here.

brings tears of pride, sadness and frustration at the loss merely thinking about it now.

Hello Glenn

Love the photo.

The old diggers really looked the dapper gent.

My father was a Vietnam Vet with the kiwi's - 161 Battery.

Aaron

Back