My new website (rauction.com.au) - Please help me test it

How can someone patent an auction method? That's just insanely ridiculous if that's the case.

Don't know if it can be patented, but I do know there are some pre-written scripts out there that you can buy in order to set up this kind of site (if you want to pay for it and have it look and act like every single other reverse auction site). That script would be copyrighted to whoever wrote it. But as said earlier, I developed my site from scratch.

Anyway, yes I have 'Rauction' registered Australia wide, limited. I was pretty surprised to find it was available. No one in Aus even had it as a trading name.

the way patenting works you have to patent it in every single country
and it costs a lot
so unless it's something which can make you billions - no point

The point is Ian wants the site tested. Make the site absolutely as bulletpoof as you possibly can. I just see the this as a site vunerability that will need to be taken into account.

The point is Ian wants the site tested. Make the site absolutely as bulletpoof as you possibly can. I just see the this as a site vunerability that will need to be taken into account.

mmm legal issues have nothing to do with he site and cannot be tested by us anyway

Any updates on what you're going to do with the site Ian?

The honest truth is that I'm going to procrastinate for at least another 3 months, then finish it all in 1 crazy all-nighter with several cans of V.

I don't know why but I'm usually a starter not a finisher. It's a terrible affliction, but I don't know where to seek help. I'm being serious by the way.

There have been some sites set up like this that were scams. (not saying this is). My understanding is that those that are legit may be required to explain the different admin fees applied to various items. Also possibly under the fair trading laws a time frame is required and the lowest bidder must win the auction. This then may create another set of problems with dummy bids by the owners of the site, so IP address will most likely have to be logged, recorded and made available too the relevant authorities including the tax office.

Finanly depending on the set up proof may also need to be publish to show the unique lowest bid at end of auction to all bidders.

For me and take this seriously or not:

Basics are there for an idea but its still a really dodgy website I would not revisit because:

- Having a PO# number as the address suggests to me its nothing more than a home based operation.... Its wise to have a proper physical business address along with a proper phone number.

- Site is not W3C compliant. Google especially likes W3C compliant websites.......If you think just word of mouth or posting on a forum will generate you "real" business think again. Site is not using good coding..you need to change it and get it W3C compliant asap.

- There is no facility for the visually impared to increase font size (gotta move with online etiquette or get left behind)

- If your chasing new business the site has very poor SEO, in fact bugger all.

- No PR ranking

- No Quality keywords and phrases to help rankings on engines and generate new business.

- No quality linking.

I personally avoid online auction sites like the plague, including Ebay but thats a personal choice. any auction site online is very much open to manipulation even this type of auction.

Try a free community based programd such as Joomla or perhaps Mambo to get your site W3C compliant.

More info: www.w3.org/

Take the above as serious critique......and not arrogance.

Last edited:
csc,

Some good valid points.

As the site is in the so called 'testing phase' PR ranking and quality linking may be a little premature to call. Then again quality linking can be set up before release to the general domain.

Home based operations are okay (craigs list is an example) but should as you mention provide physical locations, then again have you tried to find ebay operating address and phone numbers.

I'm also very wary of these type of ventures having had a problem in the past with pay pal to the tune of around 20K.

Back