My offer has been accepted!! My 1st Property!!

Bah! Our agent left the sign up for almost 2 months after settlement. Made it very easy to direct tradies (the green one with the for sale sign!)

Just found out the "Sold" sign is STILL up on one of our rentals - it settled in January - what the?!?

Cheers,
Jen

thanks

This morning when I was checking my letterbox on my way to work there was another for sale sign up. :cool: I'll be interested to see how much this one goes for. Its the same agent.

good work mate - congratulations.

post pics / links when you can.

great time to buy IMO in an undervalued location.

I forgot to post my pics. p.s. the lady in one of the shots is not me. The furniture is not mine either.

Yey I cant wait to move in. Not long to go now!! :)

105205955dl1221635225.jpg

105205955el1221635227.jpg

105205955fl1221635229.jpg

105205955gl1221635231.jpg

She didnt quite finish the reno. I will be adding bi fold doors to seperate the bedroom from the living space.

105205955il1221635234.jpg

105205955jl1221635236.jpg

There's space for the washing machine and dryer to the right of the bathroom.

105205955cl1221635223.jpg

Structurally sound, just a couple of things such as having to replace gutters

The eaves need to be cleaned and sealed.

He recommends I involve myself with the body corporate, which i will do. When settlement occurs in early November I will be ringing the strata manager for a copy of their records. What exactly do I need to ask for? and will also find out when the next meeting is, so I can bring up these issues.

Hi I have had an interesting talk with a man who lives in my building complex. He says there are 3 owner occupiers in the building of 24. He said that there is an investor who owns three of the properties in the building who is tight with his money. The two owner occupiers (im the 3rd oo) have been trying to get the gutters replaced and the stairwells painted but the strata company wont do it.

I have also noticed the letterboxes are falling apart. I would like for new letterboxes to be buil or at least fixed. But the company hasnt got around to that either. I cant put a lock on my letterbox because part of it is broken.

Anyhow I will be getting on the committe and getting involved.

Every time though that I have asked for the minutes of the meeting or rules and guidelines I get the same answer.... that they dont know what im talking about, there is no rules set out, and re: the minutes I never get a clear answer on whether they have a record of minutes they can give me. I have asked a couple of times now. Geez I hope nothing fishy is happening. This strata company doesnt seem to know too much I have found. The didnt realise I could only put in a window air con, the oo lady was the one to inform me of this.

How does it usually work when discussing maintenance and repairs. Do the owners usually vote on it. This oo says that they have meetings talk a lot but nothing ever gets done.

What should I do. What if only 5 people want to replace the gutters and the other 19 dont. Whats the way around this. Unfortunately the chairperson of the building is the investor guy that owns 3 ips in the building. He seems to be getting his way, from what i gathered from the convos with this oo today. He also accidentaly blabbed to me that the investor with the 3 ips was trying to invest our $20,000 sinking fund somewhere!!

Any adive would be appreciated.

Oh and I also found out an investor is having to sell a unit in the building because he needed to free up some money because of the share market crisis. If I had another $20 K saved i'd be in the position to perhaps buy. I think it would be a good idea to own 2 properties in this building because then you have more control on what happens. Hmmm wonder if he'd take $210 K for this unit.

thanks

Last edited:
You had a lucky escape, Kim! It's prudent to at least check out whether there are any future financial commitments agreed. It's not unheard of for people to buy properties like this and then discover that the body corporate has already agreed to, say, $1M of repairs, and you've got to contribute your $40K in 3 months' time... :eek: There was a guy on "Property Ladder" in the UK who bought a unit at auction without checking this stuff out, and found he had to contribute 75 thousand pounds - yep, about $200K - to building improvements! :eek: :eek:

Back to your purchase, though: I'm surprised the company managing the body corporate are so slack - that's one of the first things I'd be trying to change. There are companies out there who do an excellent, efficient job, so don't put up with this kind of slackness. It may put off a potential future purchaser of your unit, as well as just resulting in sloppy management of your property.

Back