Napoleon Hill - What is the 'secret'

always_learning said:
The secret is to first know what you want, focus on it and take clear action towards achieving it!

Want to be rich, focus on being rich, learn about how to get rich and take action to become rich.

Easy to say....bloody difficult to do, particularly in a consistant manner over the time, it take's lots of time/effort to achive a meaningful result.

Most people dont know what they want, dont focus on anything and take any action that is the most plainless for now.
I believe always learning has "hit the nail on the head" in regard to this topic with the above earlier post.
Julie and I wanted to make money out of property so that we could spend our time doing things we wanted without going out to work for a wage each week. After deciding that the above was what we both wanted, we sat down, recognised what our property related skill base was and wrote our goals. We then continued to educate ourselves about property and property acquisition techniques and over time we have trained ourselves to focus on property related info as it comes up in everyday life(news,books,herd talk etc).
As a result of this training, we don't miss much these days when it comes to our related property interests. Our goals are being constantly achieved, in fact the whole goal setting thing has become the foundation for any future endeavours. At first for me, goal setting seemed a little 'airy fairy' but now it has become a science and very 'matter of fact'. Note however, when we goal set we have a simple structure and an order of application to maintain balance in our lives so we don't become obsessive or lethagic(in our own view).
My favourite saying is "If it ain't fun, it ain't worth doing , SO MAKE IT FUN!"
We are all probably guilty of taking ourselves to seriously some times and IMHO NH's book is such a book that may become a catalist for such behaviour. It is one of those books :)
kind regards
Simon

Last edited:
My original post disappeared (must've been user error)

I agree with Simon, it's one of 'those' books that can really make a difference ot your life. Only read it 2 or 3 times, but after doing the exercises have noticed a difference in both personal & business life. It's now on my list of books to re-read annually.

For what it's worth, on read # 2 I decided the 'secret' was Burning Desire + Faith + Persistence + Continuous Improvement = Achievement of goal.

Haven't got there yet, but I'm a LOT closer than I was 3 yrs ago

Congratulations on your success Simon & Julie, well done, must be nice to be an inspiration :)
Cheers

MarkR said:
For what it's worth, on read # 2 I decided the 'secret' was Burning Desire + Faith + Persistence + Continuous Improvement = Achievement of goal.

Great stuff Mark

My take on it is very similar.

Desire, decision, faith, persistance, mastermind group, organised planning, continuous improvement, vision.

... and that's from memory coz I don't have the book with me. I also thought the chapter eluding to the power that can be harnessed by utilising the energy of men with a strong sex drive was rather brilliant.

Cheers
Julie
Audentes Fortuna Juvat

simonjulie said:
I also thought the chapter eluding to the power that can be harnessed by utilising the energy of men with a strong sex drive was rather brilliant.

Cheers
Julie
Audentes Fortuna Juvat

Thats great if you're female ;) :D

"Thats great if you're female "

I just liked the fact that Simon's wife wrote it :eek:

Cheers
Mark
P.S. - Fortune Favours the Bold - will have to teach my son that, lead by example might be the best way.

Popular thread this one, and the level of interest speaks volumes of the calibre of this Forum's members.

Thank goodness for the likes of NH - he gave the world very powerful tools for success in 1937 (according to my copy), but well-disguised with plenty of sugar coating so he wouldn't get burned at the stake. He did not want rejection, so he made it palatable for the social attitudes at the time of writing. If he had fully explained the basic underlying principles of his book in their raw state at the time ( and even now ) many people would have rejected the book, and may never have improved themselves, or experienced the thrills and benefits of reaching nearer their potential. Amazing man.

Amazing tools too, and so powerful, one must be sure the outcome is the right one before putting the big wheels in motion.

Success to you all.
cheers
crest133

And so are the days of our lives!. :D
It`s interesting that people get different things from the book.
But persistance is really the major key, not the secret but the key to any success and the fact that big goals generally come about just around the point of the greatest defeat is very inspiring, the book has it`s good points.

Last edited:
markpatric said:
Wow does this subject open up a can of worms for me, I could write a book :D .
You need to read the book another nine or ten times MarkR!, as Hill says you must continue reading it and taking it in until you do get the secret, and yes there most definately is one.
I can`t tell you how many times I read it probably ten or more, I still have the original book falling to pieces and filled with scribbled notes and outlines but as Geoff said, the book was not really for me either, I felt the book centred on mind control and since Hill admitted there is very little if anything known about the mind that ended it for me but it never really felt natural to me or right but it was a great book got me thinking.
The secret works best when you just get it as Hill said but since you ask, it is simply the knowledge that you control your own destiny through the use of persistance, you must continue to think. I can remember being around 14 when my dad gave me the book and when I finally "got" it and like Hill said it did feel like a great new world opened up and I can remember being stunned and truly felt like I was standing on a mountain looking at a world where I could have anything, for the record it was exactly the same feeling I have gotten when "in love", the one time I have been in my 39 yrs, it was just incredible excitement for the future.
Having said that at this point I can`t be sure whether it helped or hindered me but to me life loses that "magic" when it is written down as steps to follow, and I`m not sure most people have the time or true "want" to follow all the instructions.
Hi markpatric
I read the above which was your first post on this topic and found it easy to accept your honest view.
I am perplexed however, by your follow up posts. It appears that you have spent an enormous amount of time and effort over the years studying NH's book but seem disillusioned or somehow let down as a result of all your hard work. If this is not the case please clarify as the only other interpretation I can come up with is that you are exercising some form of intellectual snobbery over the rest of us mere mortals.
Can you please explain your posts as I don't seem to get your "secret".
Share cause we care :)
Simon

Last edited:
Simon the secret I already revealed.
It is no secret.
As Hill said it works best if it is uncovered by hard work and analysis because you relate it to your own experience and you work through that as you study the book.
The secret is in your own mind, in the form of a life plan.

Last edited:
Why would Hill sugar coat something that was true and right under any circumstances?, after having spent twenty years studying it.
I don`t think that`s on the right track.

Last edited:
NH wanted readers who were ready, to use his methods to achieve success. He did not want his readers to miss out on opportunities because his methods or himself were classed as kooky, wierd, occult, alternative or supernatural. For that reason, he did not explain all the details of the underlying forces which his methods harness and focus on a goal. He asks that readers just follow the methods and enjoy the outcome.

cheers
crest133

I`m not sure what you mean there crest, but I am doubtful about all that you said there.
About the first part, the second part and the third part.

Great thread.

It's interesting to see the different takes on what "the secret" is. TAGR has been my bible for the past eight years and for a few years I followed the formula by the letter - with some exception to the mastermind group. After about the seventh reread I thought I got the secret. Even turned the glass upside down as NH suggested. I thought it was, and this incidentally is written in the very first four words of chapter one, "thoughts are things." Meaning that thoughts really are things - literally. Who knows, perhaps the secret is whatever is most important to each person. By the way, if anyone wants a more in-depth read on the part about thoughts are things I recommend “Synchro Destiny” by Deepak Chopra. He relates the whole thing to quantum mechanics…. Anyway, it’s an interesting read.

I admit I do go along with the "ether" bit but even if someone does not even if they follow all the rest of the suggestions (for increasing desire, persistence, organised planning, mastermind group etc..) I believe their chances of succeeding are very high.

Like Simon I found that the system works so well that it's easy to become obsessive with your goal. That certainly happened to me. I guess once someone achieves a major goal, or is well on-track for achieving it, they then start to regain some balance. Just my two cents worth…

Tony

tony100 said:
Great thread.

I thought it was, and this incidentally is written in the very first four words of chapter one, "thoughts are things." Meaning that thoughts really are things - literally.

Tony

I like the saying "our lives are shaped by the questions we ask" maybe we could add "and the thoughts we act upon".
thanks tony
regards
Simon

I also had many times where I thought I got the secret but found in the end if in doubt, I hadn`t fully understood it.

Explaining my supernatural take on it, I don`t believe it is at all, but I do believe the book is presented that way and that Hill believes it is.

Basicly I like the book and a lot of ideas in it but I do also believe the book is very unfinished and actually "not right" on many occasions, but of course we can all be wrong.
It says something that such a potentially incredible book that offers the average person access to all life has to offer, takes so long to work through and such singlemindedness that it will only help a very few people who "don`t need it anyhow".

Just my opinion.

Think and Grow Rich Book by Napoleon Hill

Mmm...I'm still waiting for this book to arrive in my mailbox.
I won it at $15.60 from an auction on ebay a few days ago, it seems worth it.
First thing though, I'm hoping the book is going to be enjoyable to read (as someone said earlier, it needs to be fun for us to enjoy doing something, something like that :) )

I think somebody also mentioned reading TaGR is like reading old testament, I hope you're the one and only one who feels so. But just in case, are the wordings used in the book maybe old fashioned? :confused:
But then old testament has different version, I hope it's not written in a way that uses a lot of words like 'th', i.e. believeth, thinketh, which will boreTH me, hahaha LOL :D

Have a great day everyone, I'm liking this forum more and more, especially this thread, thanks to the thread starter, I think it was geoffTH? :p
Cheers!

Back