Napoleon Hill - What is the 'secret'

Further, no crest nothing supernatural at all imo
Last edited by markpatric : Today at 07:38 AM. Reason: Incorrect spelling due to tiquila

What a fool I've been, trying to have a deep and meaningful with someone full of tequila. That explains it all.
I'll know better next time.
crest133

basically the one core message that all these books like Thinka nd Grow Rich and As a Man Thinketh is this - man is the result of what he thinks (believes in).

I hope not, I would think there is no secret at all in this.
Of course there is the small problem also that it has never been proven a fact.
If it were no one would be disadvantaged in any way shape or form.
The only thing that has been proven is that brainwashing may work or it may not work like anything else.
An interesting fact also is in all societies there is a proportion to all things and finally why is it that so many are often surprised by thier success or failures then?.

No, here`s to hoping the secret is much more.:)

My guess is it will be related to the pyramids of Egypt and/or the principles of compounding.

I believe what we think plays a part, but is not the be all and end all.

Looking at the clues, it has to be this - the 'secret' of the powers of the mind. What else can bring you happiness, health, success etc? No pyramid or compounding can do that.

Its actually NOT a secret, the info has been out in public for about a hundred years, starting from America's New THought movement. But man in his everyday life finds it hard to believe.

In relation to powers of the mind, it has been my first hand experience that it is a matter of knowledge and practice. Scepticism is no barrier, natural laws apply. It is not a gift, and is available to us all. TAGR is knowledge, apply practice, enjoy the results. It even works for sceptics.

How can anyone read the whole TAGR book, which contains all the how to methods and explanations, and then ask " what's the secret ? " :p

Napoleon Hill said he believes the secret is more effective when it is uncovered rather than placed in plain veiw, therefore it is not to "think", we all do that, it has too be more.
It is also no one principle, as he said that.
He also said you need to study the book over a period of time reading it many times.
You either "know" the secret or you don`t imo, many give up and guess or come to the conclusion that it is simply affirmation of orders to the brain.
I`ve never met one person that knows the secret!, in the twenty five years since I first read the book, how this is helping the "average joe" as Hill set out to do is anyones guess.

He also said success many times happens just a step beyond the very point we are beaten and we "think" we can`t do something.

Napoleon Hill granted that persistance on it`s own, is more a force than any other principle, he even said you can get by with persistance without many of the other principles but he also said it wasn`t the secret.
For a while I did think that persistance was the answer based on if we never quit how can we lose, but of course we can lose.
Along the same lines I thought the mastermind chapter was the secret also but when you continue to study you realise you were only grasping at straws.

The secret may be the fact that the book keeps us always thinking and questioning "what the secret is". The secret may be different for each person and also changes as you change ???

Could be Salsa, and maybe that we find only what we think is possible to find and what we are actively looking for, some would even say they have found heaven on earth, maybe they have!.

Rodimus, I'm 1/2 way through my annual read & I have to agree with you, I thought it was more (as per previous posts), but on this read I've come to the conclusion that it's what you think that counts, nothing else. What you think drives what you do, how you react, whether you're willing/able to learn, how you cope with curve balls, ups & downs, etc, etc, etc.

I know a lot will disagree (esp. Marcpatric), but that's my take now. The only question I've got, is that given it's in the title & I'd previously considered it, why did it take me so loooonnng toi work it out - please don't answer this :)

Cheers
Mark

I think you're spot on there MarkR. Our choices and actions all begin with our thoughts. All the elements in the book - desire, decision, faith, persistence, mastermind and organised planning - are determined by what you think.

Cheers
Julie

It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
JK Rowling

I just read all about the secret and it seems it will remain one.
Call me negative but I feel this is yet another marketing exercise aimed squarely at creating great wealth for the founders, while instilling a false hope in the minds of millions only to leave the vast majority with the false belief that they simply have the inability to apply the principles because they will not accept the principles or they will not do this or that.
It is the equivalent of telling someone to flap thier arms and fly, then telling them they need to pay a fee in order to learn the proper techniques to move thier arms quicker and to learn to truly believe they will get liftoff.
All the doubters get on with thier life, all the while being referred to as quitters by the positive minded throng who become babbling backslapping idiots, all the while paying a huge fee for the privilege.

I think a lot of people in their busy lives are a little like that lost tribe in the jungle, the "farkarwees". Whenever a wayward lost traveller meets them as they are running madly down a jungle track and asks them who they are, they reply "we're the farkarwee!" and he says "I don't know! but who are you?"
Sorry:eek:
Simon

simonjulie said:
I think a lot of people in their busy lives are a little like that lost tribe in the jungle, the "farkarwees". Whenever a wayward lost traveller meets them as they are running madly down a jungle track and asks them who they are, they reply "we're the farkarwee!" and he says "I don't know! but who are you?"
Sorry:eek:
Simon
As in http://www.geocities.com/werafakawi/ ?

Back