Need a PPOR in Melbourne

Hello all. I currently reside in Canberra with my family (wife, son) and we have the pleasure of moving to Melbourne at the end of this year. My dilemma is that I have only ever briefly visited Melbourne twice in my life and don't know where to start looking for a PPOR. My circumstance is:

Work: both in the vicinity of Melb CBD
Family: need access to good primary school (with afterhours care)
Property: Budget up to 520k but prefer around 450k & want 3bd with car accom, preferably free standing house
Loc: needs to be a reasonable commute to CBD everyday probably using public transport

I know this may sound a tad vague, but all I know about Melb is that Toorak is expensive....too expensive. But, I would appreciate any advice on what areas are seen to be good to actually live in and that aren't an hour away from work.

All advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Pete

You will have a range of choices with that budget. Although I live in Melbourne (east) I'm not that familiar with wider Melbourne but I'll have a stab.

In the north: Preston, Coburg, Thornbury are all well within that budget and close to the CBD.

In the west: Yarraville is very close to the CBD and is gentrifying (has been for about 10 years).

In the south east: You'll need to look further out, probably about 15-20 kms out. Suburbs like Box Hill, Burwood, Bentleigh/Bentleigh East, Chadstone, Oakleigh, Glen Waverly etc. Probably all about 30-40 minute train rides to the city.

gday mate

you sound like you have a bit to spend - but for around $450 - $500k, you would get a really nice house ( 3 bdrm, double garage, etc ) therefore , i would go somewhere in the middle eastern suburbs - in the green belt - its pictureaque, and its right near the train lines and good public transport - check out suburbs like Mitcham, nunawading, vermont, ringwood, blackburn, forest hill, etc. All are right next to good roads, and the soon to be completed eastlink freeway, and all within 1/2 hour of the CBD

cheers mate

Lozza

Indifference said:
Hello all. I currently reside in Canberra with my family (wife, son) and we have the pleasure of moving to Melbourne at the end of this year. My dilemma is that I have only ever briefly visited Melbourne twice in my life and don't know where to start looking for a PPOR. My circumstance is:

Property: Budget up to 520k but prefer around 450k & want 3bd with car accom, preferably free standing house
Loc: needs to be a reasonable commute to CBD everyday probably using public transport

I know this may sound a tad vague, but all I know about Melb is that Toorak is expensive....too expensive. But, I would appreciate any advice on what areas are seen to be good to actually live in and that aren't an hour away from work.

All advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Pete

Hi indifference,

With a budget of 450K and wanting something with reasonable commute to CBD - you shouldn't have a problem! But we might need some more details to help you. Yes, Toorak is very expensive, and most of it's surrounding suburbs are as well.

What do you consider to be a reasonable commute? This really differs for everyone. If you do a look on realestate.com and search Melbourne's inner or middle suburbs in your price range and see what you can find that you like - then we can probably be of more help. Can give you better details of the suburbs, transport, facilities, etc.

Cheers,
Jen

Indifference said:

Do you have specifics on those.

Where exactly is work ? and what do you deem reasonable ?

Doncaster is also worth a look. No trains but really good bus/freeway access to city 15 km away. Good local public schools too.:)

units4me said:
Doncaster is also worth a look. No trains but really good bus/freeway access to city 15 km away. Good local public schools too.:)

Bus is great - until you hit Victoria Pde/Spring St at which point you spend the next 20 minutes stuck in traffic.....

Cheers,

The Y-man

lozza said:
gday mate
all within 1/2 hour of the CBD

cheers mate

Lozza

Hmmm... there are those here who would argue that with connex, a trip along the Lilydaly/Belgrave line could be significantly longer than 1/2 hour...... (has anyone actually figured out why trains stop BETWEEN stations for absolutely interminable amounts of time?) :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

The Y-man said:
Bus is great - until you hit Victoria Pde/Spring St at which point you spend the next 20 minutes stuck in traffic.....

Cheers,

The Y-man

Agreed! If you're going to be commuting everyday, I would try to find a location close to a train - and within Zone 1 will save you lots on transport! The tram lines that have their own lane can also be good when there's traffic.

Cheers,
Jen

The Y-man said:
Hmmm... there are those here who would argue that with connex, a trip along the Lilydaly/Belgrave line could be significantly longer than 1/2 hour...... (has anyone actually figured out why trains stop BETWEEN stations for absolutely interminable amounts of time?) :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

gday mate

i lived in mooroolbark, and it took 45 mns non peak time on the train, and 40 mns peak. Blackburn is just after box hill, and box hill is only 20 mns peak from the city. so blackburn would easily be only 30 mns on the train :D

cheers

lozza

Thanks to all! Some good responses and it is great to see some difference of opinion. Local knowledge and experiences are invaluable to me. To answer a few Q's:

Work: Vicinity CBD = Southbank & the CBD itself (ie Flinders St Station)
Travel: reasonable = max 25-30 mins each way by public transport. So within Zone 1

Based on comments from this thread I have looked into Coburg as a viable option as it is in Zone 1, housing is somewhat affordable (but older) and it seems to represent good value for money. Eastern suburbs tend to be expensive until about the middle ring (at least for free standing homes) and I get the impression that my travel times would be increased in comparison due to having to live at say Box Hill at the closest, although that area is on my list.

I guess I now have to look into the liveability in these areas and those surrounding them. Any further advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Pete

Indifference said:

...... All advice greatly appreciated.

Pete

Reasonable commute in Melb. means close access to a train station as the traffic is getting worse all the time.

Access to good primary school with afterhours care - you will need to visit a few schools to check them out. 'Good' can have varying degrees of subjectivity. How would you measure good? Eastern (inner and mid. distance) might have advantages for schooling due to social economic reasons, but again, this is subjective.

Budget for stamp duty at Vic. rates - much higher than anywhere else.

Please keep us informed as to what you eventually choose.

I have decided to concentrate my efforts on 3 areas in order of preference:

1. Inner North East (Richmond, Collingwood, Fitzroy, Abbotsford)
2. Inner South East (St Kilda East, Caulfield)
3. Inner North Fringe (Brunswick, Coburg)

Obviously there is a price differential in these areas however, suitable sub 500k properties exist in these areas, albeit very few in the first 2 preferences.

Time will tell where we actually find something which is both suitable and afforable but, living in a converted warehouse or similar has some 'heartstring' appeal to my wife and the lifestyle of inner Melb living is somewhat appealing to us after a brief 3 day visit recently. We may just be able to afford this option if the planets align, the auction is on a rainy day and we get lucky... time will tell.

Melbourne seems to be a fantastic place to live and we are firm on one point... we want to have tram access close to home. They are just a fantastic way to commute. Melb public transport is nothing short of outstanding by Aust. standards.

Thanks to all for their input. Now it seems I need to start preparing mentally and financially for the Auction roundabout...:rolleyes:

Indifference said:
.. we want to have tram access close to home. They are just a fantastic way to commute. Melb public transport is nothing short of outstanding by Aust. standards.
:

Ummm.... actually, they are not the first choice for many commuters here (well, not the ones I know anyway) - they get blocked by cars, and a generally slow (as the stops are quite close together). Ok for short distance hops, but commuting from Coburg to CBD for example - forget the tram - take the train - half the time.

The only exception might be where the trams have their own tracks free of cars - eg Dandenong Rd in Prahran.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Hi Indifference,

I think you'll be quite happy living in any of the 3 areas you're looking at. They are all great suburbs. While the first two areas would be my preference as well if I had unlimited funds, you will definitly have alot more to choose from if you go with Brunswick or Coburg (I personally like Brunswick better in terms of cafes, shops, facilities, prox to CBD than Coburg - but my age may account for that). Also, if you're working in Southbank - Tram 55 goes from West Coburg through the CBD, and across Southbank (no trains in Southbank, so good alternative) through South Melbourne, ending at the Domain Interchange. Also goes straight pass the Vic Markets - always a bonus! It's gots it's own lane for much of the ride, so doesn't have the the traffic problems of other trams.

Cheers,
Jen

Try and get a place walking distance from a train station.

Trams are OK outside peak times, but during peak they are as slow as a snail in frozen molasses. :)

Have a look around Essendon/Strathmore. Fantastic schools (people actually buy houses in this area so kids can go to the local school). Great assortment of period/modern homes, good local shopping (huge new DFO centre) and Highpoint and Airport West shopping centres within 10-15mins drive. Straight out on the ring road 60 mins to Geelong and the beaches in summer - Anglesea, Lorne. Good cafe society in Essendon and Moonee Ponds & restaurants in Niddrie. 7 mins on freeway into town or 30 mins on train to Flinders St and walk over the pedestian bridge over the Yarra to Southbank. Pascoe Vale similar with cheaper houses.

Back