need help re. SE suburbs

You could find a town house or unit in your price range in any of the beachside areas like Apendale, Chelsea, Edithvale, maybe even Mentone, Cheltenham and Highett.

What about Keysborough? I don't find Keysborough as scary as Noble Park, Dandenong, Springvale etc haha

Thanks Y-man. I think you r right. Springvale and Noble Park still carry a bad name. Springvale is definitely off the list.
Actually we would prefer Mulgrave but the area is too pricy that's why we go to the neighborhood. In Noble park North we specifically look at the pocket boarding Mulgrave - near Waverley Park estate and Waverley Garden SC, 1km from Monash freeway. There are 3 primary schools in the pocket, ie. 2 Catholic and 1 public so my hubby and I thought must be a nice part.

Keysborough is nice but just thought it's further away compared to Noble Park North.
What r your thoughts pls?

After living in Mulgrave (now rezoned to Wheelers hill) most of my life, and having lived in Noble Park North for a year - I'd have to say they were worlds apart and I'd never live in Noble park now that I'm raising a family.
It's a bias I have from several years ago when finding syringes in the gutters etc was not out of the ordinary. I do agree that the area north of Police rd between Jacksons Rd and Springvale rds is better but I'd be looking for a renovator in the 'old' Mulgrave (now Wheelers Hill) north of Wellington Road.

There's plenty of gentrification in that area - otherwise, look around Wanda street area of Mulgrave for a possible subdivision block - you could always do the subdivision and never build - just access the extra equity avail from the higher valuation. There's units going up in backyards everywhere there and City of Monash are looking favourably on these type of developments after a recent discussion I had with them.

Good luck with your search...

Wanda street ...

Ahh... such nostalgic names of streets.... :eek:

If anyone ever goes into the area and wonders why one side of Shaftsbury Dve has old houses and the the other side new - well, that's where my primary school used to be, before Jeff sold it to developers...

The Y-man

After living in Mulgrave (now rezoned to Wheelers hill) most of my life, and having lived in Noble Park North for a year - I'd have to say they were worlds apart and I'd never live in Noble park now that I'm raising a family.

Many thanks for your advice. I think that I will definitely steer away from Noble Park North.

I'd be looking for a renovator in the 'old' Mulgrave (now Wheelers Hill) north of Wellington Road.

We ll explore this part but very doubted that we could find anything within our tight budget.

Hi Tina,

Actually Im looking around some of the same areas as you within the same budget..

In Noble Park North I would stay closer North to Waverley Gardens, it feels more like Mulgrave atmosphere. The more South you go the rougher it gets I feel thats where the issues start. I use to go to school in that area. Carwatha College :)

If that fails I would suggest looking in knoxfield / scoresby direction. Its not too far away with a short trip down Stud Rd or East Link. Can get older places that need fixing up that are decent.

Actually, come to think of it, the crematorium is on site isn't it? :eek:

The Y-man

At my high school just across the road from the cemetry..

On one hot stinking day with all the windows open in the class room.. We smelt something burning..

Then teacher said I hope its not someones dead body in the crematorium..

That only happened once during my 6 years at that school.. doesnt happen every day..

What about Berwick/Narre Warren area?

I think the original poster works in the Mulgrave/Clayton/Noble Park area - as they said being close to work as an important factor.

I work in Mulgrave, and one of my staff lives in NW. It takes him mega ages to get here in the morning traffic on the Monash Carpark.... he's given up trying to come in at "normal" hours, and starts 10:30am and finishes up after 6:00pm to avoid the traffic.

The Y-man

Why hasn't anyone suggested Frankston or Seaford. Close to the beach, train to the city, so avoid traffic, all amenities.... My nephew and his wife bought in Seaford recently. They have a three year old who was delighted with his new rabbit in a hutch in their huge backyard when I visited Melbourne last weekend. My nephew works in South Melbourne and commutes via the freeway every day. They paid under $400. There are other posts on this forum that discuss that area and as I've said before, it's just a matter of time before it realy takes off.

Cheers;)

There is a massive Treatment Plant that way.

There always seems to be a tip, power station, airport, massive road congestion, no trains or something!!! :(

There is a massive Treatment Plant that way.

There always seems to be a tip, power station, airport, massive road congestion, no trains or something!!! :(

Hmm is the treatment plant that much of an issue in Seaford? Well I was tossing up if my first home should be beach side Seaford.. I grew up in the South-East (Mulgrave) and stilll here.. wonder how much lifestyle change beachside would be..

Beachside is amazing!

I always dreamt of living by the beach & with this one, the grass is greener!

Not sure about Seaford (we're in Aspendale), but it was said to be one of the highest growth suburbs in the paper recently. Some people look a bit dodgy when I go to the bank there, but on the whole, it's the beach...what's not to love!

The difference would be surviving a drive thru Springy (does ANYONE take heed of the 40km/h limits???) and Keysborough.... :D

The Y-man

Haha I actually go to Springy a fair bit for restaurants guess Im use to it during day time.. night time dont wanna go there.. Keysborough, some how feels more rough for me maybe coz I seldom drive through there.

Noble Park gives me the creeps and yet one of my best friends is recommending my first PPOR there as a stepping stone.. My parents were forced to have their first PPOR there, even during their time it was a shadey area in the 70's..

Actually Im visiting Seaford tonight checking out the area before I do something maybe crazy like buy a PPOR next suburb over from my old folks.. :D

Back