Need help with interpreting BCA & DCP

Does standalone garage near boundary need a fire rated wall?

I can't seem to find a clear answer for class 10 building in the BCA. The proposed garage is single layer brick with piers at 200 setback to side boundary.

Also, the following DCP(Bankstown council) says:

Setbacks to the side and rear boundaries
13.8 The minimum setback to the side and rear boundaries of the allotment is:
(a) zero setback for carports or masonry walls that do not contain windows,
eaves and gutters provided the structures comply with the Building Code
of Australia; or
(b) 0.45 metre for non?masonry walls that do not contain a windows, eaves
and gutters; or
(c) 0.9 metre for walls with windows, or outbuildings that are or are intended
to be used for recreation purposes.

For point A, does it mean that if I setback my proposed brick garage at 200mm instead of zero, I can put a gutter on the wall close to boundary?

Thanks

The BCA (now NCC) for NSW prescribes requirements for building on the boundary. It is possible to construct a masonry wall on the boundary with a gutter in this alignment. The trick is attaining the correct fire resistance level and concurrence from Council - and your neighbour!
I suggest having a chat to your neighbour first and then the Duty Planner at Council.
Good luck

The BCA (now NCC) for NSW prescribes requirements for building on the boundary. It is possible to construct a masonry wall on the boundary with a gutter in this alignment. The trick is attaining the correct fire resistance level and concurrence from Council - and your neighbour!
I suggest having a chat to your neighbour first and then the Duty Planner at Council.
Good luck

Town planners at Bankstown council has a policy of not taking calls. Been referred to DCP on their website.

The neighbour is an unformed laneway about 1.4m wide that has been beneficial to my site.

All walls on the boundary MUST be fire rated. A brick wall has the required rating. Regardless of the council requirements, if the NCC says you need you must have it.

Haas Kaplan

Back