Negotiating due to rising damp?

Hi guys, we have completed a building inspection and pest and am told the place has rising damp which is common for this type of place. Initial costing to resolve appears to be $10 to $15k plus $5k for ful pest treatment as there are some mudtrails...

Any ideas how best to approach the REA in terms of negoitaing price and what not?

thanks
kris

Agent will probably tell you you're overquoting and won't let you haggle down much. I don't know much about salt damp treatment, other than there are a few different ways to get it done.

Pest treatments vary severely btw, I had a bunch of quotes done a few months ago and they varied from $5000 (drilling a hole every 20cm around the edge of every room in my house) down to $1000 (external barrier around outside only). Assume this is an older solid brick/stone house? If there's trails, I'd be poking all the skirtings and architraves with something sharp. If they give way, you're looking at a LOT of money to replace them, even if a small patch is damaged, because you can never get the damn things to match up to an old profile unless you go to a very expensive reproduction place.

Agent will probably tell you you're overquoting and won't let you haggle down much. I don't know much about salt damp treatment, other than there are a few different ways to get it done.

Pest treatments vary severely btw, I had a bunch of quotes done a few months ago and they varied from $5000 (drilling a hole every 20cm around the edge of every room in my house) down to $1000 (external barrier around outside only). Assume this is an older solid brick/stone house? If there's trails, I'd be poking all the skirtings and architraves with something sharp. If they give way, you're looking at a LOT of money to replace them, even if a small patch is damaged, because you can never get the damn things to match up to an old profile unless you go to a very expensive reproduction place.

Thanks, ill wait to get the full written inspection but yes, i guess its normal for a place of this age. Its double brick attached semi. I'm not really worried about the terminte thing as the inspection guy said theres only signs of old mudtrails, not a sign of termites but he HIGHLY recommended we just get a treatment done.

What kind of percentage do you feel is about right for a rising damp treatment? again they vary alot like you said.

Im talking with the agent soon as he called to ask if i was interested, ill say we are considering making an offer but at a reduced price given there are issues with the property such as gutters, pest treatment and rising damp.

I just renovate my own houses, I'm no expert :p

This is for your PPoR or IP? You really sure you want a place that has a lot of issues? If so, I hope it is *very* cheap. Renovations invariably blow out.

I just renovate my own houses, I'm no expert :p

This is for your PPoR or IP? You really sure you want a place that has a lot of issues? If so, I hope it is *very* cheap. Renovations invariably blow out.

PPoR, there are issues but I dont feel they are major major. Considering its ages, it looks overall fairly healthy.

Back