Neighbour Whinging About Noise from Renovations

Print the above out, stuff it down his throat, and tell him to get a job...

i think this is terrible advice.

you have a minor grievance here, it would be easy to turn it around and for both parties to leave happy. instead, it can turn into a huge petty squabble that would help absolutely no one.

i know which one i prefer but i dont feel the need to fight with everyone i meet whenever im remotely aggrieved

the OP lives overseas, you never know he might need his neighbours assistance one day

Tools down at 5pm for me. Do this at common courtesy more than anything. From that point onward people are winding down, getting ready to have dinner, tending to children etc.

When my fiance and I were first living in our house when it was built, there were open blocks all around. One building company happened to be building 5 of the houses directly around us. The other established properties would moan constantly about the noise to the builders, even though they followed the noise guidelines.

One day we got a knock on the door from the site manager for the company, he thanked us for being the only people in the development who had not complained to the builders or the company, and offered to do the landscaping for our house.

Leveled are sloped block, planted plants, all for common courtesy and understanding.

Helped me tune the carby on my car, too. :p

As some people seem to be saying, sometimes a little empathy and consideration for the other side is beneficial for all. :)

We did some major renovation that involved a lot of noise (breaking tiles, sanding, cutting tiles etc etc) during the day. Both our neighbours never cribbed once.

Next week I plan to leave some wine and chocolates with a little thank you note:) I haven't met one of them yet, so a nice way to introduce ourselves as well, I guess.

I have left a note in letterboxes before the event to let them know when the renovations will start and are likely to finish, seemed to help.

Sorry OP but if you tried this next to me I would have been down fairly quickly to voice my concerns.

Is it a whinge or a valid complaint. I think the latter. Check the body corp bylaws about disrupting neighbours.

As for the guy being a nerd/freak- not really relevant. If he was a six foot 6 Maori bouncer wanting to sleep during the day would this change your approach?

I have left a note in letterboxes before the event to let them know when the renovations will start and are likely to finish, seemed to help.

Exactly right. We had renos last year for about 5 months.

Big trucks / bobcats / thumpers / skip bins / HIAB trucks, concrete trucks, concrete pumpers, material all over the verge.

All of these create a lot of noise, parking congestion, high pitched reverse beeping, vibrations, men sometimes yelling and swearing at a loud level, their stereos going full bore, loud pneumatic tools etc etc etc.

It all needs to managed - you can't plug your ipod in and ignore it all.

I simply wrote a polite letter to the nearest 7 neighbours up and down the street, advising them of the duration, the times, the likely inconvenience to them all, asking for their understanding during the period....and literally apologised upfront for the disturbance to their amenity.

When they are formally advised, they feel respected, they feel like they count, and you also provide them with an opportunity to plan their day / weekend around your activity, having had that prior notice.

Without that courteous notice, they blissfully go ahead and organise something that requires peace and quiet, and you inadvertently trash it for them.

As I said, the laws are there only to form an absolute cut off limit for those who do not know how, or refuse to be, courteous.

If all the above activity can be done without a peep from anyone, you know you are doing something horribly wrong with your communication skills if all you have is one tiny sander / grinder operated indoors and you are getting angry complaints !!!

the work you are doing does not require a DA therefore you dont have to abide by any such conditions which are usually found on one as previous posters have alluded..

you can make whatever noise you want between 8am and 8pm dont let anyone tell you otherwise

you still need to follow owners corporation or body corporate rules and regulations. this would have been given to you when you bought the property and the yearly AGM meetings.

Orbital sanders would make a terrible noise within the confines of units. If you insist in upsetting the neighbours why not simply tell him to get stuffed and save us the agony of reading this rubbish here?

Thanks for intel on this thread - I'm to undergo some internal paint works in one of my units soon though do not have the stress of a 1-week timeframe to do them in.

I do offer this as constructive criticism though (not destructive): why did you only allow yourself one week to carry out prep, several coats of paint, and carpet?

Still, as others have said; it is always best to work within the rules of the strata management code and council rules within which your unit is located. Perhaps also consider getting a professional on-siter to help you if budget allows. This will speed things up.

the work you are doing does not require a DA therefore you dont have to abide by any such conditions which are usually found on one as previous posters have alluded..

you can make whatever noise you want between 8am and 8pm dont let anyone tell you otherwise

What absolute rubbish! You still are bound by certain noise levels, vibration levels, any respirable dust and irrispirable noxios odours you may emit during your activities - I read your above post that you can do whatever the hell you like.

If you are causing distress to any nearby dwelling to my noted effects - you are breaking the law, no matter how trivial.

pinkboy

and you attacked the OP for asking here for some feedback about an issue with a tiny sander?? I'm appalled you got where you are today with your juvenile tantrums and attacks on people that might not be as experienced as you are. Grow up!!! Next time try offering some constructive advice instead of acting like a 12 year old girl with her panties twisted.

That 'little' sander had the OP's neighbour complaining.

What Dazz was trying to say was, regardless of what's making the noise, if you're considerate (he kept his in the loop as well) the neighbours will be fine.

Do you not see what people are getting at?

Common decency should dictate your actions. Local council laws are only drafted for the few folk like yourself who trample over other's rights and apply little to no common decency.

That is an attack and a false accusation from what I read, I don't see where the OP has broken any laws or tramped over other people? It seems to me he handled the situation quite fairly and from what he has written, it was the neighbour who was the pushy and impolite one.

I think people need to chill out a bit, what's all this pointing the finger rubbish? Why not be nice kids and provide some tips and advice and not always try so hard to put others down that might be still learning. These sort of threads put people off coming here to ask questions and seek advice. Maybe we should have told the OP to stop working and go on Newstart like the neighbour and then we could all start abusing them for bludging? :rolleyes:

No wonder my friends say this forum is full of a****** and they don't bother coming here anymore!

Sorry OP but if you tried this next to me I would have been down fairly quickly to voice my concerns.

Is it a whinge or a valid complaint. I think the latter. Check the body corp bylaws about disrupting neighbours.

As for the guy being a nerd/freak- not really relevant. If he was a six foot 6 Maori bouncer wanting to sleep during the day would this change your approach?

Another attack, where did the OP break any laws mate? And your comment about big guys is really stupid to be frank considering the OP has not mentioned that he approached him in anyway other than fair and polite?

That is an attack and a false accusation from what I read, I don't see where the OP has broken any laws or tramped over other people? It seems to me he handled the situation quite fairly and from what he has written, it was the neighbour who was the pushy and impolite one.

I think people need to chill out a bit, what's all this pointing the finger rubbish? Why not be nice kids and provide some tips and advice and not always try so hard to put others down that might be still learning. These sort of threads put people off coming here to ask questions and seek advice. Maybe we should have told the OP to stop working and go on Newstart like the neighbour and then we could all start abusing them for bludging? :rolleyes:

No wonder my friends say this forum is full of a****** and they don't bother coming here anymore!

I think Dazz comments were well justified and explained clearly. This certainly is not a case of 'its easier to seek forgiveness than ask permission', the guy got the neighbour offside by causing a disturbance 100% in his control. He handled it ok, but the situation was 100% avoidable.

We shall call you and your friends 'Panda - Eat Shoots and Leaves'. You and your so called friends must be the type of people that cant accept other peoples opinions or interpretations. Thats what you get on a Forum that is Australia wide and beyond. You must need to live in a world of conformaty and comfort.

pinkboy

Back