New electricity connection cost?

Hi, does anyone know what's new electricity connection cost for a newly build property which requires wire route into the villa unit?
Thanks.

The vital question here is, is the unit to be separately metered? If not then it is a relatively simple process of running a cable to the existing installation's switchboard. Otherwise...

Where are the meters located? In units there should be one mains cable off the street connected to a meter board which houses all the meters and fuses for each unit. To connect that mains cable is quite expensive.

Just for the connection (which you'll organise with an electrical contractor) you're up for a truck appointment with the distribution company which is in the vicinity of $250, an electrical inspector has to be present which is another $100 and the electrician's time which would probably be another $250, so I'd say you're up for about $600. Some electricians might charge more because it is a bit of a hassle organising the 3 contractors to appear all at the same time so there is a lot of dead time that you will pay for, even though the connection itself might only take 30 minutes.

If on the other hand the meters and street mains have already been installed you may be able to get away without the truck appointment but you'll still need an electrician and inspector.

To run a wire into the unit, how long is a piece of string? Is it underground or overground? How many meters between the unit's switchboard and the meter board?

Thanks for all the info.

All I know on top of my head is that unit 1 and 2 has electricity connected. 3 and 4 hasn't been connected yet. And I believe it's overground.

Have a look at unit 1's meter box, it may contain all the meters for the units on the block. Considering there is already electricity to two of the units, I'd hazard a guess that they've already installed your meter and the cable to your unit but haven't connected it yet. In which case you're up for an electrician's fee and inspector's fee.

my bad, i had another look on the outside.
no cables or wires seen anywhere. so must be underground.
any info regarding underground setup?
thanks.

Usually the power supplier wants a common point for connection and metering, they then run underground to individual units. In each unit there should be a switchboard with circuit breakers, has yours got this?

It should has a switch board inside the house yes. Everything is wired up inside the house, dishwasher, oven, lights etc...

So there should be a common point for the connections/meterings for all 4 individual unit. Should this point be near the street front?

So there should be a common point for the connections/meterings for all 4 individual unit. Should this point be near the street front?

Yes ,usually in a brick pillar combined with letter boxes, if the unit has been "fitted off" ie, light fittings and power points installed, it will have power connected thru to that point, but the service fuse won't be in until the occupier authorises the supplier to connect, (turn it on so to speak)

oh, yes. it's got all the power points and light fittings.
So that's a relatively small job to get the power connected, yes?

Back