New home

Hi everyone,

Well our new home settled last Monday. We have been busy since. House was filthy and spider ridden before we moved in so spent a whole day cleaning. Wasn't happy about that just quietly.

As with any property purchase it has its good and bad. Moved in and found out the following:

- Phone line somewhere between phone socket and street is not working.
- We had no tv reception at all
- Major drainage problems out the back which causes flooding into outside entertaining area.
- When it rains the rain comes in the front door because no awning.
- Wasn't planning to paint immediately but the previous paint job is that dodgy that we had to.
- Front and back doors had door handles but no barrels to keep doors closed. Relying on 20 year old deadlocks.
- There must be 10000 nails in this house.

Most is easy fixed. Spent just over $1000 at Bunnings on paint, lights, some fittings for the bathroom inc new showhead (LOVE a good shower) and some small incidentals.

So far we have changed the lights to mini spotlights in the lounge, dining and kitchen and what a difference that alone makes! Got the antenna and tv working. Removed horrid wallpaper, sanded and painted bedroom 3. Painted spare lounge room. Replaced door locks on front and back doors. Oh and moved in while doing it all hehe.

I have posted some before and after pics of the spare bed. I think it looks great and I haven't even finished it yet. Anyway, i'm very excited and just wanted to share my experiences.

If you bought the house perfect you wouldn't have anything to do and by adding your own personal touches this is when it becomes a home quicker.

The trick is to make a list of all the known and potential problems and systematically eliminate them at your leisure.

Congratulations on your purchase ;)

Back