New purchases and cleaning ....

Just settled the other day on our new temp PPOR - to become IP when PPOR built.

Was a divorce purchase with the bloke living in the house. Superfically it was clean ... but ...

Okay - I gag but can clean someone else's pee from behind the toilet bowl. Right - once spent 4 hours cleaning crusted food from a pantry (this wasn't so bad, but did take me a full day to clean the kitchen) ... but ...

I just cannot do hair! Yerk. Ugh. Revolting. Totally gross!

As a mother of boys, I can tell you it is very possible! And for IP's, I always think what those who think landlording is a bit exciting would think to see me scrubbing other peoples pee and indeed removing every hair from a bathroom. Now I specificifially tell professional cleaners to remove the seat for cleaning. Over it!

Yuck Lizzie - I feel your pain.

A couple of years back we settled on a PPOR that was filthy. The excitement of moving into the new house dissapeared as soon as we opened the door.

However, we just moved into a new PPOR 3 months ago (we move too much) and the dear old couple that have lived here for 50 odd years done such an amazing job on cleaning the house that I actually felt bad when we moved in and scuffed up the walls with our furniture/excercise equipment and the dogs took a liking to the curtains. I can't see the house ever being as clean as they left it!

Cheers

Jamie

I am yet to buy a property that I would move straight into without at least 2-3 days scrubbing ... some have been "pull the carpet up as you enter" and others have just had a hard life of fingerprints and fly strike.

Most things I can deal with - cockroaches - shower scum - fatty grill - but I just can't cope with hair, especially long black hair.

However, three times in my life I've rented and they have always been spotless.

Last edited:
And here is the purchasers of my house complaining there is rubbish in the bin and fireplace and that I haven't vacuumed all of the skirting boards!

I’m totally with you. I can stomach a lot of things but not hair. Shower drains, hand basins and when it gets caked to sticky floorboards… *shudders*.

Even my own hair when not attached to my head bothers me let alone other people’s. Like you, I find long black hair the worst.

Slightly unrelated, but it reminds me of a dinner I had at a friend’s place as a child. Her mum had thick curly black shoulder length hair and was a bit muddleheaded. She made a noodle dish for dinner and, I don’t know how she managed it, but my noodles were intertwined with a mass of black hair. At the core there was a dense matted knot and the strays went all the way through the dish.

Being 12 and not quite knowing how to deal with the situation without offending her, I attempted to subtly remove the hairs and drop them under the table without being seen. This was tricky as the hairs and noodles were so entangled.

So, of course, my friend saw me and yelled at her mum “you got hair all through her food!”. Her mum quickly looked at me, saw me trying to dispose of a clump of hair and yelled at me for dropping the hair on her kitchen floor. Mortified, I mumbled apologies.

Not given any cues as to how to deal with the hairs and afraid of being yelled at again, I silently attempted to eat around the hairs for the remainder of the meal. Needless to say, most of it went untouched.

I am yet to move into (or buy) a property that I would move straight into without at least 2-3 days scrubbing ... some have been "pull the carpet up as you centre" and others have just had a hard life.

Most things I can deal with - cockroaches - shower scum - fatty grill - but I just can't cope with hair, especially long black hair.

However, three times in my life I've rented and they have always been spotless.

That is because you buy the right sort of property and add sweat (and disinfectant) equity immediately.

Can't imagine you would ever buy a "perfect"property that didn't need anything doing to it :D

Just to add, that I too detest cleaning. At the start and end of any house (rented or owned) I pay a professional to do it.

A couple of hundred dollars over the time lived in the house works out to not much. I would much rather spend my time earning better dollars that I pay the cleaner.

Just to add, that I too detest cleaning. At the start and end of any house (rented or owned) I pay a professional to do it.

A couple of hundred dollars over the time lived in the house works out to not much. I would much rather spend my time earning better dollars that I pay the cleaner.

I did last move as was 1hr commute each way, combined with having to do the school run, it wasn't worth the hassle for mr to clean. Was a huge house and - combine with carpet cleaning - cost me $600!

The new buy is only 5 mins away so I kinda feel obligated as it would cost many $$hundreds for the pros to do this one too ... I also detest cleaning and evey time we move I have to clean the house we're going to - and then the house we're leaving!

haha - put a new bag in my super wizz bang (and rather expensive at the time) vacuum cleaner and vacuumed the three bedrooms.

By the last one the cleaner wasn't sucking very well and thought I had a blockage - so spent half an hour poking wire through the hose and jiggling it ... turned out the bag was full! After only 3 bedrooms!

Wow - and they didn't even look bad to start with.

Back